ROCK WARRIORS WITH DEFENDERS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had 3 sets of KO2s, last set is still in new condition with 100k miles on them (KO2 DT=Different thread, less snow performance but last forever). Recently, got new Michelin Defender LTXs on my 100 in C rating, I love how the 100 slices and dices on the highway like butter at 100mph. Thinking about getting a defender set for my extra RW set BUT in 285/70 R17 they only come E load rated not C. I like the less firm C for my back (its also nicer for softer landings after going airborne). Since covid I haven't been able to get out as much for adventures and just use my bruiser as highway cruiser so thinking to have more of a road set. I sold my stock rims so I only have the extra brand new 5 RW set currently.

I have the exact setup you’re considering and they ride and handle great on the road.

image.jpg

How long have you had them? Discount Tire says avg tire life is 61K miles before being replaced. What mpg do you get? Do they flex at all or is the 10 ply really firm?

I’ve had them for about 12,000 miles. I don’t pay attention to gas mileage because I work from home and don’t drive enough miles for it to matter. I’d say they’re firmer than stock, but also handle better, and they’re not as firm or as heavy feeling as KO2s, which is what I had immediately before the Defenders. And they’re a lot quieter than the KO2s of course.

I’m not expert but I think the tire pressure is going to be the same in either the c or e rated tire…so the “firmness” of the ride should be the same.

What can change sometimes between a c, d, and e rated is overall weight of the tire…which can cause a little extra bump upwards during suspension actuation…but I doubt it’ll be significant.

Have you checked to see if the tires you’re considering are markedly heavier than the ones you’re comparing them to?

Bear in mind you can always take the rings off rhe rock warriors and shave a few pounds if so.

I’m not expert but I think the tire pressure is going to be the same in either the c or e rated tire…so the “firmness” of the ride should be the same.

What can change sometimes between a c, d, and e rated is overall weight of the tire…which can cause a little extra bump upwards during suspension actuation…but I doubt it’ll be significant.

Have you checked to see if the tires you’re considering are markedly heavier than the ones you’re comparing them to?

Bear in mind you can always take the rings off rhe rock warriors and shave a few pounds if so.

Yes, sent email to discount tire checking weights. Very good point about tire pressure. One thing that bothered me when first going to RW/KO2 setup was how heavy they were on my brakes.

I dont think I could give up my rings! I love how they look on the wheels.

I’ve posted this before, but if you hand mount tires you’ll see there is a noticeable difference in their pliability and bead stiffness as the load increases. 114 load easy. 121 load doable. 125 load could only dismount with much issue, couldn’t mount for fear of destroying rims with levers. 129 load forget about it.
My personal experience 121load d (in a flotation size) much softer and more forgiving than 129 load e, and also softer but less noticeable than 125 load e.

Yes, sent email to discount tire checking weights. Very good point about tire pressure. One thing that bothered me when first going to RW/KO2 setup was how heavy they were on my brakes.

I dont think I could give up my rings! I love how they look on the wheels.
The lightest wheel/tire offering on the 200 was a total weight of around 66 lbs I think (heritage wheels on the land cruiser)

Before that the oem weight was something like 75-79 for land cruiser and lx’s until the 21’s came out on the lx and the heritage wheels came out for the lc…then that shot up to 84 lbs for oem wheel and tire package for the lx (and 66 for the lc)….though the Lexus changed their front coils that year so one might consider that heavier 84 lbs range apples to oranges.

With the rings on the rock warriors the load range c 285 70 r17 k02’s come in at 76 lbs which is basically oem for a land cruiser weight…take the rings off and it gets closer to 71 which inches you towards that light as possible package.

Swap to the new p metric 285 70 r17 (33”) trail terrains from bf goodrich with the rock warriors (rings on) and you get to that 66 lbs number that the heritage land cruisers came with…except unlike the heritage edition land cruiser, you’re getting a 33” tire (vs the 31.5” or so oem tire)

The downside of the p metric 33” though is it will call for 26 or so psi which is squishy compared to the 32-33 psi that the land cruisers and lx’s called for as oem…which means it may feel squirrely on the highway unless you bump the pressure up a bit.

And in bumping the pressure up towards that oem 32-33 psi, you approach the, I think, 35 psi max on the tire.

I don’t know what your overall goal is but if you’re not an off-roader but you want a bit of an aggressive look and perfect weight, scrub radius, etc, you might consider the rw and trail terrain package with a slightly increased psi..maybe 30.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom