Rock Chef V (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Threads
Website
www.arb-digital.com
This summer, once again Rock Chef, sponsored by Metal Tech, will putting pots and pans in 4Lo and head up the mountains. If you're interested in becoming the next Rock Chef or want to see your fellow Land Cruiser rock wheelers friends turn into creative kitchen masters, this is for you.

The competition will take place on Friday July 14th at 6:30 pm. Participants have 90 minutes to come up with two savory dishes, plus one dessert and a beverage based on a secret ingredient. Following the success of last year’s secret ingredient, we have decided to use the same format this year: The secret ingredient will be provided by me at the springs at the morning of the event. It will remain a secret until then. In order to make it fair for the teams, the secret ingredient is something that will work with pretty much anything. Think chili paste, Sriracha or balsamic vinegar.

There will be a panel of 4 judges, plus Eric Agee, the Rubithon Chairman. The rules are pretty much the same as last year. Each entry will be judged in 3 categories. The categories are: Taste, Presentation, & Originality. Taste and creativeness will have a scale of 1 to 5 points. While presentation will max out at 3 points. The wining team will be the one who is able to score the greater amount of points.

Like before, each team will have its own name and maximum of 3 members. There will be a maximum of 5 teams. Each team must provide all their ingredients, plus all their cooking equipment. Each team will bring their own setup (Cooking table, stove, grill, cookware, lights, ETC). Plus 7" dessert plates, used to serve their creations to the judges.

There will be a $20 signup fee per judge and per team. All teams must sign up by May 30th and fees are due on on the morning of the event. The wining team gets to keep 100% of the signup fees. In the event of a draw, the prize will be divided evenly between the wining teams. A simple toss of a coin will define who gets the prize. Judges are responsible for their own silverware.

If you are interested in competing please PM me with your team's name and members. If you know someone who should be a judge, PM me and tell me why, just because she's your wife or girlfriend, mom, ex, ETC, ETC does not qualify. I wanna a story to tell the day of the event. Judges will be chosen from your replies and the available pool of people the day of the event.

Metal Tech is sponsoring the event. They will be providing very nice Metal Tech Rock Chef aprons. May the best team win.

Last edited:
Well anyone that has been following the weather and snow pack here in California has probably seen this coming, but here is the official update. After much discussion with those that live in the Tahoe area, those with a lot more history on the Rubicon in the spring, the Rubicon Trail Foundation and with the heads of other events, I have come to the conclusion we need to change the dates for this year’s Rubithon. The new dates will be July 11th-16th.

I have run this past the TLCA President, and my predecessor, Tony Twiddy, and they are in full agreement. My hope is to make this change with enough notice as to not affect travel plans and vacation selection. I have contacted all of the run leads and all of the runs will remain unchanged with the exception of the new dates.

I’m sure there will be many questions, so let me try to answer some of them before the phone calls start.

1. Why are you doing this?

With the amount of snow in the Tahoe area and the forecasted snow still to come, even the local ski resorts are stating they will be open through July 4th.

This amount of snow can present a safety hazard due to the potential snow drifts and water crossing drop offs on the Tahoma side, and greatly influence whether the trail is even passable.

2. Can’t we just go in through the Loon side and exit the same way?

Yes, there is a possibility we can get in and out via Loon. However there are 2 issues that make me think this is not wise. First, there is the real possibility that the Rubicon will be closed at times by El Dorado County during the run off do to water levels on the trail to prevent soil erosion. Second, I think we would not be being good stewards of the trail to have that many rigs on it while conditions are that wet, even if the trail is not closed.

3. What happened to the idea of just camping at South Fork Campground or Airport Flat and doing day trips?

Same reasons as listed in #2 above.

4. How did you come up with those dates?

I first found out what dates were available for us to be able to use the Springs. This was the only one available that did not interfere with other local events, work projects on the trail and schools being back into session. We have such a large number of our participants with school age children, that it was felt there would be too much of an impact if the kids where back in school. In addition, the other date available is in the middle of fire season. Several of our leads, including the chairman J, are either firefighters or police officers.

5. What if I’ve already registered and I can’t make those dates?

I will fully refund your registration. The only thing that I would not refund is your AirMedCare Network membership and TLCA membership. Those items are still good and the monies have already been sent to them. If this creates a hardship, contact me and we can work something out.

6. What if there is still too much snow or water run of with the new dates?

That issue is still being worked out. We are looking at other SVRA’s where we might be able to do the event on those dates.

7. What should we expect in the Springs?

It will likely be a wet year, I would definitely plan on a lot of bug spray. Also, there was already a large release of water that we believe may have severely flooded the Springs requiring a lot of clean up. Bring a positive attitude if it is not the normally well-kept lawn we enjoy. Also, be prepared for “rustic camping” also known as bring your own bumper dumper or PETT toilet. It is believed many of the restrooms may have become canoes and will need to be brought back into position. BE PREPARED!

8. Will we have company?

Maybe. I have been talking with my counterparts at Jeepers Jamboree. They have the same concerns and may need to do more than their normal 1 work party before their event. If so, they will try to use a small area for camping and will be joining us for dinner on Saturday night. We are all there for the trail and to enjoy the Springs, so I hope all will see them as our fellow wheelers and welcome them.

9. Are there any other special considerations?

Yes. There has already been a lot of road and infrastructure damage related to the rains. Plan extra time to get to your check in location. For example, Hwy 50 is down to 2 lanes at Bridal Veil Falls due to road collapse. I would not be surprised if more issues develop with storms yet to come. You will want to check on the status of road closures before you depart. One good site is www.quickmap.dot.ca.gov

All registration links have been updated to reflect the new dates for Rubithon. If there are any other questions, feel free to email me at chairman@rubithon.com or call me at 530-401-0800.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation,
Eric

The Organizers may want to change the dates listed on the original posting, which still reads "Friday June 23rd". Not everyone will read all the way down to the point where the date change is posted.

Keep the rubber side down!

Reid
TLCA International Rep.
Musanze, Rwanda

The Organizers may want to change the dates listed on the original posting, which still reads "Friday June 23rd". Not everyone will read all the way down to the point where the date change is posted.

Reid
TLCA International Rep.
Musanze, Rwanda

Reid
TLCA International Rep.
Musanze, Rwanda

Nice catch, i updated on the other Threads. I'll ask Alvaro to update this. The new date for Rock Chef will be July 14th.

Eric

Rubithon has been moved to July this year due to weather conditions in the California Sierra Nevada. The new date for Rock Chef will be Friday July 14th. Same time, the rules are the same.

Remember you only have until June 7th, to get your registrations in and avoid the late registration fee. Also, if received after June 7th, your shirts will have to be mailed to you after the event. So get those registrations in!

Just a reminder, you only have 12 more days to get your registrations in without having to pay a late registration fee. Also, if received after the 7th, your shirts and hoodies will be mailed to you after the event.

Here is the link to the online registration: RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

You can still sign up for the event and get confirmation up until July 9th, and you can even sign up at the event, but I will not be able to answer any questions or send you a confirmation after that day.

I hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day Weekend and while you’re out there enjoying your holiday, take a moment and remember those that paid the ultimate price for those freedoms!

Thanks for your time and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Eric Agee

530-401-0800

chairman@rubithon.com

Unfortunately Alvaro is not going to be able to make the event after all do to the date change. We will still be having the event as scheduled. He is making the scoring list for us and will still be providing details on the mystery ingredient details!

This is your last year to get in for the Championship of Champions at the 30th event!

Today is the last day to register to be included in the final extra Grand Prize raffle ticket drawing.

You still have until June 7th to register and avoid the late fee and have your shirts at the event.

You can still register right up to and including at the event but there is a $25 late registration fee and your shirts will be mailed post event.

RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

Eric

Who's in this year????

The secret ingredient will be provided for you at the event and is very easy to work with this year.

Remember to bribe your judges with adult beverages:rofl:

Congrats to Tim Wehrer on winning the May's extra Grand Prize raffle ticket.

Remember you only have until June 7th to avoid the late registration fee and to have your T-shirts ready for the event.

Only 3 more days to beat the dead line.

Here's the link: RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

Today is the last change to beat the late registration fee and have your shirts ready for you at the event.

You can still sign up, but your shirt's will be mailed to you after the event.

Here's the link: RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

Have something cool for all participants at this years Rock Chef. Get signed up and get yours. Same goes for the judges!

This years ingredient is super easy to incorporate!

Howdy everyone! With the kick off of Rubithon just 23 days away, I just wanted to remind everyone that even to just use a propane stove, you will have to have a valid camp fire permit. There are 2 ways to get this. One is to stop at any of the USFS Ranger Stations and fill one out there.

The other, and much quicker way, is to go online and take the class. It takes mere minutes. Then you can print it up and you are all done. Here is the link: Prevent Wildfire - California Campfire Permit Online

There can be significant fines if you don’t have one of these. Just pack it in with your other legal paperwork in your rig. This permit is good until 12/31/17.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail soon!

Feel free to call me with any questions. 530-401-0800.

Eric

I would like to take a minute to thank a few people in particular.

First, a huge thank you to Dion Mattei for all he has stepped up to help with at this year’s Rubithon. Not only has he taken care of the Marauder Bar for the last few years, when the past Cook Crew Leads had to stop handling the kitchen due to being out of school and in the work force. Dion stepped up and just asked… “what do you need me to do?” I can’t tell you all how much all of Dion’s and the rest of his PMC guys have done to help take stress off of me as Chairman!

Also, I’d like to thank Toys on the Rocks. They chipped in and purchased a case of Champagne for the RTF wine tasting fund raiser. I’d like to also thank specifically Jerry and Julie Reffner who went out and got more donations and even purchased some “Chocolate Splash” for all to enjoy. The Reffner’s played a huge role in getting our wine tasting off the ground in its first 2 years of the event. Last but certainly not least, I’d like to thank Jerry Schroeder who has been an absolute boss in procuring some great wines and raffle prizes for the event. Jerry S. has now taken over the lead for the wine tasting itself and his passion for the wine is apparent to all!

Also from Toys, I’d like to mention a huge thank you to Brian Kaiser who will be taking the lead of our Camp Crew again this year. We will certainly have our work cut out for us after this brutal winter. I have no doubt Brian will again do an outstanding job getting the Springs in the condition we are accustomed to seeing it!

I'd also like to thank John Evans for his very large donation to help make our kids driven activities even better. Thank you John, I'm glad you too value bringing the kids into our great sport!

Without the efforts of volunteers like these, we would not be able to put on such a great event. One of the great things of being a part of TLCA is the people. When work like this needs to be done, our guys always step up.

Thank you to all of the volunteers that help with the various Committee positions!

Last edited:
Both Eric Smith and friends went in this weekend from Tahoma and here are their Pre-Run reports:

This first came in from Eric Smith:

We made it in from Tahoma. Cadillac is pretty dry for the most part. There was no water bar needed at the log. I found one bathroom on the way into the springs that’s a bit beat up and there a few in dirty dozen that need work/replacement. There are also a lot of downed trees in dirty dozen. We did a lot of clearing trees on the trail. It is definitely possible to make it through, but I wouldn't recommend it for those not as experienced. There are still plenty of spots with lots of snow and water. It is melting fast though.

Also, we have 4 rigs broken down on the trail including mine. Two blown motors (mine being one of them) and two with front end issues. We are trying to work on getting those out next weekend. . I am probably going to have to do an engine swap in there, I don't think I will be able to get mine towed out. Mine is at the bottom of Cadillac near the water hole on the springs side, there is another one on Cadillac and two more in the snowy parts near miller.

There were a lot of people that went from loon to buck just fine. Buck has so much water and it rises at night. It is best to camp higher up away from the water.

Also, when driving out Tahoma side, when approaching the big water hole that separates Cadillac from the Springs, people need to stay to the left through the trees, if you go straight; you will submerge your truck and in cases like mine, blow your motor.

The other is from Kade Hendrick “Pooz”

We made it in all the way to the Springs from Tahoma side. Looks like others have already gone in and cleared some of the trees. We had to cut it more like for buggies. Our rigs had 37” and 40” tires.

Two biggest issues:

1 – A 5’ bolder at the base of Morris Rock on Cadillac. We were able to crawl over it, but wagons would likely do a lot of body damage to get through.

To put things in perspective, I’m running 37’s and the drop is 2.5 times my tire.

This will need to be moved!

2 – There is a pool on the trail before the Cemetery, the area that is often a mud bug. Well right now it’s about 4’ deep.

There will be several work parties between now and Rubithon, so we should be good to go by then. If you go in early, be prepared, and I’d recommend using a long stick to sound the water before crossing.

Somewhat to my surprise, neither mentioned anything about crossing over Miller. Since they both go through to the Springs, I’m guessing it is ok, but cannot confirm.

Photos can be found on Rubithon's Facebook page. Having problems posting the videos.

Happy to be able to say that TLCA is again refocusing on acknowledging the Member of the Year and Business of the Year.

While these are not Rubithon awards, we will be announcing and presenting plaques to not only the Hall of Fame inductees, but also the 2016 Member of the Year and Business of the year, since Rubithon is its hosted event.

We are working on having a tab put on the TLCA webpage that list all past recipients of these awards, but this will not be completed until after Rubithon.

See you in 18 days, and it’s not too late to sign up! Here’s the link: Rubithon Registration | The Official Toyota Land Cruiser Association Annual Event

Eric

chairman@rubithon.com

530-401-0800

Glad to report that Eric Smith and friends were able to get all 4 of their rigs out this weekend.

Eric reports that snow is melting fast, but still very deep water. Also to be careful, that several snakes were seen.

Pictures can be found on our Rubithon Facebook page: Rubithon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom