Road Trip: Calgary to Tuktoyuktuk (The Tuk) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Road Trip: Calgary-Tuktoyuktuk (Tuk)

For those who know me I'm not much for the Internet, Facebook, posting stuff, texting or writing reviews on trips; can I hear a yay and amen.

But....I've decided to do a daily summary of my trip for my international friends (eg America, South Africa) you know who you are, who want to visit the Great Canadian North; specifically the Canadian Arctic. My hope is that those who visit will understand a few things about us Canadians Eh. My attempt at humour follows:
-Not all of us live in igloos;
-Some of us have running water and electricity;
-We can do multiplication although multiplication tables are tough;
-For my American friends I'll do the number conversions because I know when you think of your friends to the north the metric system really confuses you.

This summary will be textual only; no pictures. So here we go....

Day1
Calgary-Grande Prairie
Route: Calgary-8W-22N-16W-40N-Grande Prairie
Distance: 852km (529 miles)
DEP: 0800hrs
ARR: 1900hrs
Enroute Average Temp: 13ºC(56ºF)

Nothing to note other than I encountered 30G50 kph headwinds from Edson to Hinton resulting in slower speeds. The scenery from Grande Cache north on the 40 was absolutely outstanding. I'd suggest doing this trip in Aug or autumn. Be advised that the distances are enormous and places are remote. Make sure you know your vehicle; specifically how far between fuel stops and how far you can go on a full tank. Road conditions were excellent.

Day2
Grande Prairie-Fort Nelson
Route: Grande Prairie-97W-Fort Nelson
Distance: 570km (354 miles)
DEP: 0830hrs
ARR: 1500hrs
Enroute Average Temp: 3ºC(37.4ºF)

Todays route was pretty remote. Road conditions from Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson were excellent but wet and slushy for most of the route. Low cloud/fog conditions occured so I was unable to view scenery. Apparently the above zero conditions are not normal for this time of year; its very springlike. But according to the locals winter will come back with a vengeance. There are not very many fuel stops other than those in major centers. The more remote stations are closed although signs say thier open. I have a reserve tank so there were no problems. Oil & Gas is king here. There were more semis on the road than regular vehicles. Although the route is remote, in an emergency the camps can be contacted for help. Once again fuel needs to be managed properly.

Day3-4
LOCATION Smithers, BC
I decided to pull the plug at Watson Lake, YT and turned on the 37 towards Smithers, BC., for a number of reasons:
-I grossly underestimated fuel costs. If I estimated again I would add 25% to the cost...and that would be conservative. Fuel was $1.30/l to 1.50/l and would increase as I got farther north.
-I also underestimated the distances. The map just doesn't do the distances justice. Since I'm driving alone in a 20 year old truck, if I had an emergency, I'd be screwed. Better to travel with another truck. I think this was a good call.
-Unseasonable warm temps. All above zero by 5ºC at least. Making roads, although paved, hard to drive on given the wet and slushy conditions. Also making the Ice road between Inuvik and the Tuk 'Use at your own Risk' or possibly closed. See second point.

Having said the above I think doing this trip in August or Autumn is the best. I think I might just 'Prius' it in August; that's how good the roads are. And the 37 is a gem in disguise. Beautiful scenery, very remote and not alot of traffic.

Last edited:
I'm planning on driving to Alaska from Edmonton late this summer.
Thanks for the suggestions, let me know if there's anything else that you think is important to note.

cheers!

I found the roads excellent. Just prepare for the bugs. Apparently their so bad that campgrounds are closed on the Dempster Highway in July. Contrary to what I said, June is the best month to go because there are limited bugs. Also at the intersection of the Dempster Highway and Alaska Highway there used to be a lodge (Klondike River Lodge) with fuel, accomodations and store...no longer there because it burned down. That's about it. Be prepared for outstanding scenery!

I found the roads excellent. Just prepare for the bugs. Apparently their so bad that campgrounds are closed on the Dempster Highway in July. Contrary to what I said, June is the best month to go because there are limited bugs. Also at the intersection of the Dempster Highway and Alaska Highway there used to be a lodge (Klondike River Lodge) with fuel, accomodations and store...no longer there because it burned down. That's about it. Be prepared for outstanding scenery!

There is self serve fuel right at the intersection still though. There is fuel at Eagle Plains 375 km, then fuel at Ft McPherson and Inuvik.
375 Km is the longest stretch without fuel. Look for signs, if they run out of fuel there will be signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom