Road hazard warranty purchased- use it on this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
Hey all-
Had this happen while driving in Colorado. Still will need to inspect the other tires.

My question is whether this is dangerous in any way? With tires and brakes I prefer to err on the side of caution. Seems minor but I have no working knowledge of how this may have compromised the tire strength.
29716B87-3CB5-4C9D-90C3-2E7DE94D8483.jpeg

Last edited:
If your warranty covers some minor chunking, then go ahead and replace the tire. If it costs you anything, however, just ignore it and get better tires next time.

HTH

Looks like ya got a rock stuck between the treads, nothing to worry about. :cool:

Or are ya worried about the missing chunk? Not something I would be too worried about. But agree with @gaijin above.

• Haha
Reactions: HGB
If your warranty covers some minor chunking, then go ahead and replace the tire. If it costs you anything, however, just ignore it and get better tires next time.

HTH

Michelin Defender LTX. Just bought them Recently. Love them. Quality tire. This isn’t a safety issue then? Great. If my Discount tire road hazard covers it, I’ll just get the same tire

Looks like ya got a rock stuck between the treads, nothing to worry about. :cool:

Or are ya worried about the missing chunk? Not something I would be too worried about. But agree with @gaijin above.

They’re Michelin Defender’s! Not a poor quality tire by any stretch. Just may not have been the best tire for a really rocky road to a trailhead.

Just one piece of tread missing? looks like an example of "chunking". I'm no tire expert and completely agree its better to error on the side of caution here but I don't think I'd be too concerned with only one "chunk" missing. If it happens again, then I'd start to get worried. I just googles this and found this:

the article says: " A second common cause of chunking is related to heat — specifically, not warming up a tire before subjecting it to severe stress on an autocross or road course. " I can see how, with a cold tire and a sharp/pointed rock, a "chunk" could be broken off. Just my $0.02. Probably should get some nickels and dimes from smarter people... :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom