Road armor front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No winch yet, but I am trying to decide between the Superwinch Talon 12.5, the Warn 9.5 CTI, and the Titan TW12. Right now, I am leaning towards teh Superwinch. Any input would be appreciated. I hope I don't have to remove it because a couple of the bolts were total B-Yatches. It should drop righ tin, the opening on top of the bumper is HUGE.

I have the Warn m8000 that I got from Layton. He had it on his FJC. It has never given me any issues until this last run at Superlift. I think it's because the solenoid pack is under the hood and maybe overheating but I can not be 100% on that. I may swap to a single solenoid that Justin did some research on over in the BSLCA clubhouse. Lee (1911) had also done some research and a nice write up in the blu room on a single solenoid pack that you can get from Summit. First I want to get the in-cab controls done (may bring that to the meeting) because it just may be the remote.
A couple guys just picked up the Superwinch not that long ago on a group buy. But the discussion going right now on winches are the BadLands winches at Harbor Freight. They have supposedly stolen the design from one of the others (I think Superwinch) becuase one of their head guys used to work for the other company. They are super cheap and with their extended warranty if anything goes wrong bring it in and they give you a new one (if memory serves me right). You might want to check them out.

Yeah, we had to guestimate and it came out pretty good. Its amazing what a rattle can and a dremel tool can accomplish.

Looks very clean and factory. Nice job!

This Pic would be awesome if I hadn't blown a bulb right before the shot!!
:crybaby::crybaby:

View attachment 606059

I was going to ask how you got only 3 of them on. :doh:

I just got a coupon for the HF Badland 12k for $329. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it. I'll be happy to find it if anyone wants it.

since none or most of ya don`t have winches or winch experience. talking bout the kind U put on the outside of vehicle here:D

check out the winch comparison threads here on MUD Pirate etc etc

personally not a big fan of pulling cable but when you need id ya need it .

not really sure why speed is such an issue Iam more concerned with pull weight & run time. load amp draw & how long between cool down.

the single biggest issue the winches have is the solenoid that they use most use a form of starter solenoid which are NOT continuous use so as they heat up & loose amp cap the in turn heat the winch motor which as it heats up requires more amps which they can`t supply.

the 12k HF does use a better solenoid that are way less expensive that say a Warn pack + buy a 2 year warranty

:hmm:guess it all boils down to just how often and long ya gona use it:cheers:

just my $2.00 worth inflation ya know:cheers:

The three I'm looking at vary greatly in price, and I would obviously prefer to spend less if the qulaity is there. The main thing keeping me from getting teh TW12 is the line speed is significantly slower than the others.

So which winch did you go with?? I'm waiting for my Road Armor single hoop bumper to come in and after this Texas trip I decided to pull the trigger on the winch now. I read through some of the blue room and other forums but there are so many opinions. I would like to hear from someone who has a similar bumper.

From what i understand, the MT is the HF rebranded( I could be wrong):

I got the Superwinch Talon 12.5 and put viking synthetic winchline on it.

That's what i read and we as a company experimented with some of their drills, grinders, and such and had bad experience. They do have a great return/warranty but we got tired of bringing back damaged equipment .:popcorn: I want something a bit more reliable. How was the fit? is the spacing combo between the bumper and winch good right out of the box?

was it

Superwinch 1612201 Talon 12.5Sr 12,500 Lb Winch??

or

Superwinch 1612211 Talon 12.5Isr 12,500 Lb Winch??

Last edited:
Metal twch, but I believe in this context, it is the Engo winch, sold by Metal Tech.

ohh ok. yeah they guy who started ENGO was the CEO of milemarker for like 25 years. i think his dad actually started the milemarker winch company. so it's probable a rebranded/upgraded milemarker winch. im happy with mine though it pulled me out a hole this weekend. :clap:

I like my new Engo winch also. For the price it seems are to beat. Can't go wrong with the Superwinch either. I went with the Engo because for $425 I couldn't find a better deal on a winch that seemed pretty well rated. 10K with synth line and a wired and wireless remote. They also have a 9k and 12K version.

I didn't take it apart but it seems fairly well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom