RIgd Ultraswing Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After months of trying to decide which spare tire carrier to go with I decided on the Ultraswing by RIGd Supply. This thing is SOLID. Was down on the glades the past 5 days and this thing didn’t wobble, squeak or move. I knew there had to be something better than the Wilco and for the money I wasn’t overly impressed with Detours Of Maine (although I was going to go with this model until I found the RIGd). If your looking for a way to carry a larger spare tire and don’t need a bumper, I’d suggest looking at this.

0084DFE9-E962-4ED1-A597-E03D0581081C.jpeg

FD21943B-C73F-4843-8157-7FED3E0A433B.jpeg

32F91203-9545-44DD-AD88-064643D8804C.jpeg

85CB7785-1D98-4160-8B94-432721B82D63.jpeg

A6499C96-0E2A-4033-89E2-4FCFD5AFCD87.jpeg

With all due reaspect, I see a potential good and bad with the design.
The bad: is how far it swings to get the rear door open. I'm seeing it blocking sidewalks, the rear of other vehicles or maybe not even being able to swing out far enough if parked next to a full sized crew cab or something really long on the right side of your rig.
The good: When it is swung all the way out, you're not leaving it hanging out in the middle of a parking lane. When I have to put groceries in the back and open my rear bumper tire hanger, it sticks out 4 feet into the parking lot for cars to try to drive by.

But all-in-all, it looks really good on your rig!

Looks good. Just curious, but what didn't you like about the Wilco? I have the Offset model and it is solid. I was able to drill an additional hole to get it to sit closer, but am still limited by how far the factory hitch sticks out. Also, I like how there is just enough room between the tire and hatch to fit some Rotopax.

One last thing...no Walton County Beach Driving Permit? We were just down in Grayton Beach last week for our annual visit.

R2m.....never really thought about that tbh.....it’s more of a spare tire carrier than anything else. I guess I’d just move the car LOL, unless opening it 1/2 way would suffice.

BMRisko- I liked the Wilco except the one I looked at wiggled around a bit. It looked fantastic, but it just didn’t do it for me. Walton co Beach Permit- we actually are grandfathered in, but the turistas have made it crazy down there......plus, we live on the water with our boat at the end of the dock, we can find a secluded spot and avoid that craziness.

8B3E19B9-D224-4DA2-983C-EC3226BB70D8.jpeg

Just curious, can you pop open your rear window with it shut?
That would be real nice!
Mine just misses by about an inch or two... :(

I've seen the Ultraswing in person on a friends 5th Gen T4R and it's a nice piece, but the design does seem a bit complicated, but functional.
I'm curious what you dislike about Detours? I just placed a second order with Mark, and aside from his lead times, he's very good.

I'm curious what you dislike about Detours? I just placed a second order with Mark, and aside from his lead times, he's very good.

Honestly it was looks. Both the Wilco and DoM are really nice and I kept going back and forth on the three. DoM had a wait time and I have three long distance trips coming up so the logistics played a part. The Wilco I saw must have had some issues then, because it wobbled and the exhaust had melted the wire holding a pin in. I felt like the Ultraswing checked all the boxes and I also dig the camp table that you can add to it.

R2m, you can open the window without having to open the Ultraswing. It comes with three positions pre drilled for raising/lowering the tire and I’m on the highest setting. I asked another member on here about the same concerns with his Detours ofMaine and his cleared it. I figured with the three settings I should be good.

R2m, you can open the window without having to open the Ultraswing. It comes with three positions pre drilled for raising/lowering the tire and I’m on the highest setting. I asked another member on here about the same concerns with his Detours ofMaine and his cleared it. I figured with the three settings I should be good.
Nice! :D
That will be very handy for when you just need to toss something in the back without having to open everything!

Nice! :D
That will be very handy for when you just need to toss something in the back without having to open everything!
My DoM Knucklebone allows the window to clear, however I've found that a swingout will make daily life easier so I placed an order with Mark for his swingout last week. Let the 8-10 week wait commence!

I am about to pull the trigger on an ultra-swing, need to get the spare out of the cargo area and I don't really want to spend for a new rear bumper. That difference in cost between the swing and a bumper can go toward the long range aux fuel tank, roof rack and skids.

Talked with RGid today and I am very impressed with the thought and detail that has gone into their design.

I'll play here. I had a Rigd Ultraswing for my 4Runner. Got it during the pre-sale so got a darn good deal on it and shipping was free to boot. I've also had the Wilco Hitchgate solo hi-clearance swing that I bought used, never installed, and sold once I got the Rigd.

The Rigd is better in every possible way. It's built better, has more features, more thought out, is more secure and easy to use. If you look at a lot of the aftermarket bumpers the Rigd shares a lot of common features with them in the way the tire plate/wheel is mounted, how the tubing and supports are bent, and choice in compression latches. If you didn't know any better the swing is very similar to what aftermarket bumpers use. Some smart features like threaded holes for license plate relocation are included whereas you have to buy an extra piece from Wilco. It's secured with a compression latch and an extra pin. The Wilco only uses a pin which is nice and works but a compression latch along with the extra pin provides extra security, prevents wobble, and there is a satisfying sensation and sound to a compression latch. One of the main selling points is the extra hitch on the swingout portion so that you can swing out a bike carrier without having to remove the bikes to get to your cargo area. Wilco only recently added this as an option and it looks like an afterthought to stay competitive and it also comes at an extra price. The hitch receiver extension portion on the Rigd is actually tow rated at 10,000 lbs so more than a 4Runner or GX can even tow. I have the Rago accessory panel and attached a Front Runner drop down table to it, makes it really convenient and easy to setup an extra camp table. I'm not bashing Wilco so much as I am praising Rigd for taking an idea and making it better and more thought out. Wilco was a good option when it was the only once but the Rigd is just a smarter design overall. The other thing, Rigd customer support has been fantastic. I had two issues which were remedied immediately after a few emails.

With all that being said I sold my Rigd. Why? I got a 4x4 Labs rear bumper. While a swingout tire carrier is a good solution there are some inherent drawbacks with all of them. For me the swing out tire carrier was a stop gap solution to see if I swinging things out every time I wanted to access the cargo hatch, how much distance I needed in the garage or parallel parking, and if blocking the rear view camera were big issues for me. They weren't a big deal at all and 4x4 Labs had a 10% off group buy so here I am with a full rear bumper. That itself has it's own drawbacks in terms of weight, needing to swap to heavy duty rear springs, and mucho $$$. However during my use of the Rigd Ultraswing I do think it's the superior solution compared to Wilco. The Detours of Maine has the advantage of being much cheaper and having much better departure angles than the Rigd or Wilco.

I'll play here. I had a Rigd Ultraswing for my 4Runner. Got it during the pre-sale so got a darn good deal on it and shipping was free to boot. I've also had the Wilco Hitchgate solo hi-clearance swing that I bought used, never installed, and sold once I got the Rigd.

The Rigd is better in every possible way. It's built better, has more features, more thought out, is more secure and easy to use. If you look at a lot of the aftermarket bumpers the Rigd shares a lot of common features with them in the way the tire plate/wheel is mounted, how the tubing and supports are bent, and choice in compression latches. If you didn't know any better the swing is very similar to what aftermarket bumpers use. Some smart features like threaded holes for license plate relocation are included whereas you have to buy an extra piece from Wilco. It's secured with a compression latch and an extra pin. The Wilco only uses a pin which is nice and works but a compression latch along with the extra pin provides extra security, prevents wobble, and there is a satisfying sensation and sound to a compression latch. One of the main selling points is the extra hitch on the swingout portion so that you can swing out a bike carrier without having to remove the bikes to get to your cargo area. Wilco only recently added this as an option and it looks like an afterthought to stay competitive and it also comes at an extra price. The hitch receiver extension portion on the Rigd is actually tow rated at 10,000 lbs so more than a 4Runner or GX can even tow. I have the Rago accessory panel and attached a Front Runner drop down table to it, makes it really convenient and easy to setup an extra camp table. I'm not bashing Wilco so much as I am praising Rigd for taking an idea and making it better and more thought out. Wilco was a good option when it was the only once but the Rigd is just a smarter design overall. The other thing, Rigd customer support has been fantastic. I had two issues which were remedied immediately after a few emails.

With all that being said I sold my Rigd. Why? I got a 4x4 Labs rear bumper. While a swingout tire carrier is a good solution there are some inherent drawbacks with all of them. For me the swing out tire carrier was a stop gap solution to see if I swinging things out every time I wanted to access the cargo hatch, how much distance I needed in the garage or parallel parking, and if blocking the rear view camera were big issues for me. They weren't a big deal at all and 4x4 Labs had a 10% off group buy so here I am with a full rear bumper. That itself has it's own drawbacks in terms of weight, needing to swap to heavy duty rear springs, and mucho $$$. However during my use of the Rigd Ultraswing I do think it's the superior solution compared to Wilco. The Detours of Maine has the advantage of being much cheaper and having much better departure angles than the Rigd or Wilco.
Thanks for all the info, I placed an order for the rigid today and they should be shipping first week of Nov or so.

Reviving this thread. It’s been a while since the last posting and I find myself in need of a carrier for my 35” spare. Since the last post here, both Wilco and Rig’d have made revisions and improvements. There is also a new player, Dirtcom. I’ve been in contact with them too but their price point is stiff into bumper territory…as in over $1700. Their design is easily the best and most beefy.
Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on these units?

Last edited:
Reviving this thread. It’s been a while since the last posting and I find myself in need of a carrier for my 35” spare. Since the last post here, both Wilco and Rig’d have made revisions and improvements. There is also a new player, Dirtcom. I’ve been in contact with them too but they’re price point is stiff into bumper territory…as in over $1700. They’re design is easily the best and most beefy.
Any one else have any experience or thoughts on these units?
I should add that I just did a 3” lift and I’ll be doing extensive and serious off roading. I am already not super crazy about how low the factory hitch is mounted. I don’t want a carrier that is going to kill my departure angle. Weight also matters a lot too.
As far as pricing, it seems to go like this; Wilco in the $1100 range, Rig’d in the $1500 range and Dirtcom at $1700+. All of these seem insane but options are limited for our GXs. I’m not chucking a full size spare on the roof and I refuse to sacrifice cargo room for it inside. I also don’t have any confidence in the JWOffroad unit that drills into the door and stresses/cracks seams. It seems like this or a full bumper are the only options.

Last edited:
Man, we share the same sentiments. I am anxiously waiting on a detailed review/video on the LH swing GX version from Dirtcom. The latest Instagram glimpse has me ready to pull the trigger. The price point is way up there, but I do not want to to go the full bumper route - there are still plenty of others mods I want to do before ever getting to bumpers. Also, I'm kind of holding out for a year or two to see 460's get more attention with bumpers (Dissent Offroad comes to mind). In the meantime, my 33" spare goes on my FR slimline rack.

While expensive, that Dirtcom unit looks interesting. Any photos of it on a GX?
I love the Detours of Maine unit a lot. Their simple angling of the upright towards the hatch makes a massive difference in how tightly and more integrated the unit fits. The issue with DOM is that they’re looking like they’re at least 8 months behind on orders, and they just don’t respond to inquiries unless you use Facebook messenger and I refuse to cave to the social media tyrants.

Anywaaaaaays, I’m sourcing steel and will have my welder custom fab a unit for me. I’ll post back on how it goes but I don’t need all the gadgets and modular accessories. I’m building a unit that doesn’t kill departure angle, sits high and tight to the rig, and just carries the tire and possibly traction boards. I told my guy there’s a massive market for units like this so I’m going to be sure to plot the build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom