Ride quality when loaded, suspension vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arich

Anthony. aka arich
Threads
I started another thread about this but now that I've been to the dealer three times i think we've isolated the variables that have contributed to the problem.

Since my wife drives the truck everyday and I only drive the truck when going on vacations I think the loading of the rear end with cargo or adults has contributed to the problems.

On the highway when we hit a bump the suspension reverberates beyond the bump and feels like it has a bad shock BUT unloaded this does not happen.

What I am thinking is that the rear axle might be bouncing off the bump stop.

I would say that at highway speeds and in corners it is dangerous because it unsettles the truck.

Since the dealer is escalating this to Toyota North America I would like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences. The dealer has said that this might be "Normal" for the Land Cruiser 200. If this is true I find it hard to believe.

If others have experienced this and you changed your shocks (no lift) please tell me what you've used and what your experience has been with those.

Thanks,
Anthony

Below is the original thread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/200-series-cruisers/536686-200-ride-quality-road.html
--------------------------------------------------
We've had our 2011 200 for about 6 months now and I am having serious issues with it's ride quality. It's my wife's truck so I have not driven it much but this past weekend I drove it for a 4 hour trip on City, highway and country roads.

This is our third Land Cruiser. We had a 1998 that we drove to 100,000. Our 99 that we found in 05 with just 24K has 125,000 miles and is my winter and fishing truck. i say this because this is not our first LC and we have nothing to compare it to. The 1999 has Bilstein shocks which did wonders for tightening up the handling and 18 inch oem wheels with Michelin LTX tires.

The best way I can explain the 2011 is it's either over sprung or under damped. Over rough highways it's very bouncy to the point that the rear actually hops if you're in a corner and hit a bump at highways speeds (60-70 mph). At any speed above 40mph if you hit a bump the rear seems to vibrate.

Before I take it in to see if there is anything wrong with the shocks I wants to get a feeling on what others felt about the handling. The 99 is FAR smoother than the 2011 and this is a shame. We've loved our land cruisers but I honestly dont want to take this on long trips, its that bad.

Is there a chance that I have a bad shock and that one wheel is indeed bouncing or do others find the ride quality harsh too?

Before everyone start screaming that this is an off road purpose built vehicle please understand that our decision to own LCs goes far beyond it's off road ability. Nothing we have ever own has held it's value better than and Land Cruiser. Please chim is with your ON ROAD experience.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone had any vibration issues with their 200 when they have loaded it up?

Thanks,
Anthony

No vibration issues here.

If you are not planning to take this up with the dealer, then i would highly recommend swapping out the stock shocks. The best the dealer will do is replace the OEM shocks, which are very cushy and prone to bottoming as you are experiencing.

if you don't want to put much thought into it, and go cheep, buy a set of ARB Old Man Emmu Nitro Charger Sports and springs. You can run a 0" lift in the rear, and a 1" in the front. Not really a lift, but more of a leveling kit.

Pros - much stiffer ride, better handling, but not bone jarringly stiff. Also, leveling out the front will reduce nose dive under breaking.

If you are interested, I can provide the ARB item numbers.

If you want to go high dollar - go with Kings all the way around, run the low setting as they are height adjustable in the front, and have the ultimate ride.

No vibration issues here.

If you are not planning to take this up with the dealer, then i would highly recommend swapping out the stock shocks. The best the dealer will do is replace the OEM shocks, which are very cushy and prone to bottoming as you are experiencing.

if you don't want to put much thought into it, and go cheep, buy a set of ARB Old Man Emmu Nitro Charger Sports and springs. You can run a 0" lift in the rear, and a 1" in the front. Not really a lift, but more of a leveling kit.

Pros - much stiffer ride, better handling, but not bone jarringly stiff. Also, leveling out the front will reduce nose dive under breaking.

If you are interested, I can provide the ARB item numbers.

If you want to go high dollar - go with Kings all the way around, run the low setting as they are height adjustable in the front, and have the ultimate ride.

I've taken it up with the dealer three times. They are now moving it to corporate. They say this is "normal" for the 200. I say it is completely unsafe. Modifying a 6 month old truck simply boggles my mind. I'm trying to fix a problem that seems common with this truck.

Thanks,
Anthony

Maybe you're overloading the LC? The cargo capacity is 1235 lb.

Tha ma for he suggestion but not a chance. Two young kids and ski equipment. Maybe 500lbs. I don't often take my collection for gold bars with me when we go skiing. 1235 is a lot of weight.
Even when I put two adults in the middle seats and two children in the rear the LC sags ass and bottoms out. I am so disappointed.

You could check and see if you are actually hitting the bumpstops. Put a dab of grease on the bumpstop, go drive, then check and see if you have it on the axle housing when you get back.

You could check and see if you are actually hitting the bumpstops. Put a dab of grease on the bumpstop, go drive, then check and see if you have it on the axle housing when you get back.

That's a great idea. I'm fairly certain it is bottoming out on the bump
Stops. I have airbags ready for install which I hope will help the situation.

I don't regret the desision to buy a 200. I am just disappointed in the ride quality for a $75K + SUV. If I could fix this vibration then I would be 100% satisfied. I have read complaints on the LX too. Must be a design flaw under certain conditions.
Perhaps others can attest to off road capability. My wife conquers speed bumps and intimidates Prius drivers.

I don't regret the desision to buy a 200. I am just disappointed in the ride quality for a $75K + SUV. If I could fix this vibration then I would be 100% satisfied. I have read complaints on the LX too. Must be a design flaw under certain conditions.
Perhaps others can attest to off road capability. My wife conquers speed bumps and intimidates Prius drivers.

I think what you are experiencing could be normal. There is a freeway bridge expansion joint I always hit on my way home. It is about 7 inch wide plate and about 1/2 to 3/4 deep on the right most lanes. I go through it at 70mph just before exiting.

All these years driving through it with different vehicles. I only found SUV/Trucks will reverberate over this but with different intensity.

My 85 Hilux Pick-up truck (sold) is the worst. It shakes the whole cab for at least 1 second but it got better after fitting it with OME suspension.

Next is my 80 series (stock) which also gets unsettled. It got a little worst after fitting BFG AT recently which requires increasing tire pressures.

My 08 Tundra and 06 LX470 is probably about even. The suspension still reverberates but settles quickly.

Cars I have driven has never done this, they would just hit the hole with a thumb and kept going.

I think it has to do with the unsprung weight of the axle and there is no getting away from that weight. Except to better control it with a firmer suspension damper. It will solve your problem but it might be too firm on other conditions. You just have to find a compromise.

Arich, any updates to this thread? We are having the same issue on our new to us 2008 and it's extremely disappointing. Our 99 with 250K handled bumps way better. I'm thinking new shocks to start....definitely seems to be worse on right rear

replace rear shocks to non compressed Hydraulic so it is not stressed under the load - problem solved
any way see this video , nothing to do with advertising

So is replacing the rear gas shocks to hydraulic the fix? I don't mind trying, but would like a little more definitive answer before dropping 400-500 bucks on a possible fix. Any more suggestions? Thx

I have had 3 200 LCs , my Dad has had 2, my brother has 1 now as well never heard or seen this issue.
I have hauled multiple adult and child passengers as well as pull trailers with what I am pretty sure was pushing the rated capacities beyond Toyota's recommendations on several occasions. I have never noticed any of my LC's hitting the bump stops or strange vibrations caused by heavy loads . That sure does not sound normal to me. We pulled about 9000 pounds with 4 adults and luggage up in rocky mountains with My dads first 08, I drove most of the way out and back from CO, which is about 30 hour round trip, never once noticed any bottoming out. I have pulled my 7500 pound boat with mine several times with passengers, again never noticed any bottoming out.

Now I have had vibration issues, which were related to my torque setting on my wheel spacers. You must use a crisscross pattern and a toque wrench to make sure the studs are torqued dead on evenly or I get a vibration every time. I don't allow anyone to perform tire rotation anymore but me, since the spacer and wheels are very critical to have torqued correctly and evenly to prevent vibrations. I mention this because I think I see aftermarket wheels in your Avatar pic. You might try rotating your tires and torqueing all the lugs in a crisscross pattern with a torque wrench to get accurate even torque settings on each lug. I speak from experience, last time I let someone other then me rotate my tires, I had major near dangerous vibration. I Re did the work of loosening the lugs and torqueing them properly myself, problem solved.

Last edited:
I second that as an option. Had my tires rotated a while back and the vibration was there. I redid the job myself and the vibration vanished.
Worth a try.

I have had 3 200 LCs , my Dad has had 2, my brother has 1 now as well never heard or seen this issue.
I have hauled multiple adult and child passengers as well as pull trailers with what I am pretty sure was pushing the rated capacities beyond Toyota's recommendations on several occasions. I have never noticed any of my LC's hitting the bump stops or strange vibrations caused by heavy loads . That sure does not sound normal to me. We pulled about 9000 pounds with 4 adults and luggage up in rocky mountains with My dads first 08, I drove most of the way out and back from CO, which is about 30 hour round trip, never once noticed any bottoming out. I have pulled my 7500 pound boat with mine several times with passengers, again never noticed any bottoming out.

Now I have had vibration issues, which were related to my torque setting on my wheel spacers. You must use a crisscross pattern and a toque wrench to make sure the studs are torqued dead on evenly or I get a vibration every time. I don't allow anyone to perform tire rotation anymore but me, since the spacer and wheels are very critical to have torqued correctly and evenly to prevent vibrations. I mention this because I think I see aftermarket wheels in your Avatar pic. You might try rotating your tires and torqueing all the lugs in a crisscross pattern with a torque wrench to get accurate even torque settings on each lug. I speak from experience, last time I let someone other then me rotate my tires, I had major near dangerous vibration. I Re did the work of loosening the lugs and torqueing them properly myself, problem solved.

c1999, I'm going to definitely try this. It is my understanding the wheels are TRD, but I don't know. I did notice they are utilizing stick on weights and not clip on so i may even have a balance issue I'm unaware of. Thanks for all the help and replies. I'm going to replace shocks with OEM for now, new tires/balance and proper torque. I'll post the results once all is complete.
Do you happen to know the torque spec for the lug nuts off hand? THANKS

I think Toyota calls for 100 or maybe its a 110lbs.

I use pretty much 125lbs on everything I own. My experience has been that its more about how even the lugs are torqued down. The crisscross pattern when torqueing them down is the really critical part. If you just go around tightening them down in a ccw or cc pattern you can get the wheel pined in a slightly off position that creates the vibration or wobble feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom