200 Ride quality On-Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arich

Anthony. aka arich
Threads
200 Ride Quality, bad shock? or something deeper?

We've had our 2011 200 for about 6 months now and I am having serious issues with it's ride quality. It's my wife's truck so I have not driven it much but this past weekend I drove it for a 4 hour trip on City, highway and country roads.

This is our third Land Cruiser. We had a 1998 that we drove to 100,000. Our 99 that we found in 05 with just 24K has 125,000 miles and is my winter and fishing truck. i say this because this is not our first LC and we have nothing to compare it to. The 1999 has Bilstein shocks which did wonders for tightening up the handling and 18 inch oem wheels with Michelin LTX tires.

The best way I can explain the 2011 is it's either over sprung or under damped. Over rough highways it's very bouncy to the point that the rear actually hops if you're in a corner and hit a bump at highways speeds (60-70 mph). At any speed above 40mph if you hit a bump the rear seems to vibrate.

Before I take it in to see if there is anything wrong with the shocks I wants to get a feeling on what others felt about the handling. The 99 is FAR smoother than the 2011 and this is a shame. We've loved our land cruisers but I honestly dont want to take this on long trips, its that bad.

Is there a chance that I have a bad shock and that one wheel is indeed bouncing or do others find the ride quality harsh too?

Before everyone start screaming that this is an off road purpose built vehicle please understand that our decision to own LCs goes far beyond it's off road ability. Nothing we have ever own has held it's value better than and Land Cruiser. Please chim is with your ON ROAD experience.

Thanks

Last edited:
that does not sound right to me. i have rear airbags (at 5lbs to keep inflated) and load range E AT tires, and i don't ever get rear end bounce like that. when it was fully stock, the right was much softer and never felt skitish at any speed.

Definitely something wrong with it. My '08 handles great on the pavement and the suspension is very stable and predictable in the corners. I'd get yours looked at straight away.

I'd say you have a dud shock as a first guess. If you're running stock you should be complaining about it being too smooth and wallowing rather than too skittery. Any evidence of a fluid leak? Also, might pay to check the obvious like tire pressure etc. Had a friend who wondered why his truck bounced around like a brick on a bungie chord. One of his rear tires was at 70lbs.

Hello Arich,

What tires are you using, and what is the pressure?

Even with my load range E tires, I think my 2011 LC handles very well.

LC-3773-sig.jpg
► Alaska 2011 LC200 / Silver / 285-65-18 BFG All Terrain TA/KO ►

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your issues. It does sound as if there is a problem, perhaps with the shocks as others have said but I would also suggest with the KDSS valve having been left open. There is a "sticky" thread for the latter issue at the top of this forum. In fact here it is; https://forum.ih8mud.com/200-series...arning-all-200-series-owners-please-read.html

What you describe on the highways sounds very unusual and disconcerting. No doubt, certain potholes reverberate through the cabin more than on the sedan in comfort mode due to the structure but overall there is no instability (of course, taking tight corners fast is not advised as I'm sure you well know :)) or undue harshness. That said, the shocks could do with a little more travel or resistance under compression though I only notice this at low speeds with large dips.

I don't think they are the cause but I run just over 30spi in my tires for what it's worth, about to switch to NTG from the stock Michelins as they are wearing and poor in mud. Plus they squeal around every corner.

I really would look into the KDSS valve, you know dealerships and their 5000 point pre-delivery inspections where they seem to inspect diddly squat....

Good luck and keep us updated bud.

Thanks everyone
Tires are oem Bridgestone dueler running 34psi cold. Spec is 33.

Going to check out the post in sticky section and make an appt at a different dealer. I bought the truck about 100 miles away and don't get the warm fuzzy feeling when I bring it in. I know it "just" a Toyota but its a Land Cruiser, their flagship. Pardon me if I have high expections. Read my other thread about rear seat noise. I hate my local dealer.

Carl, see you still have the M5. My season is coming to an end. Time for the M5 and the boat to go into winter hibernation.

My experience is that, even though it's a Toyota, very few Toyota dealers are good at working on them. I'm not sure if it's because the 200s are not that common or if it's because they have a lot of gadgets and are relatively complex. Either way, you definitely want to find a dealer or mechanic you're comfortable with. I had to explain to my local Toyota dealer (the closest one for several hundred miles) that the LC is actually a Toyota and not a Subaru, etc. That's not very reassuring and definitely not the way to start a service "relationship." Good luck and keep us posted on what the problem ends up being.

I took the truck out last night for a long ride. Dont get to drive it often. I really could not get the truck to repeat what I was feeling the other day. The difference is that on Friday the truck had five adults and two kids in the rear. I can get it to bounce a little but that is by driving the truck outside NORMAL on road parameters.

Anyone find that the truck behaves weird with a load? The LC 100 certainly hates being loaded in the rear.

I have airbags for both trucks waiting to be installed to assist with towing.

Someone mentioned a valve for the KSSS system. Is it adjustable? How does it activate or deactivate? Could only find basic explaination in manual.

No leaks from below, shocks, KSSS etc. Only 15,000 miles.

Yes, I've found the rear shocks are too soft so when fully loaded there is very little travel left and third row passengers get a thump from speed bumps. I drove it with 6 people and totally full of luggage about 300 miles a month ago. I drove very cautiously at first but got used to the feel after an hour or so. I don't load it up like that enough to change anything but if I did I would look into some heavier rear springs and dampers, or airbags as you mention.

As regards the KDSS system, I believe there are two valves. You only need a hex key. If they are left open it will be very floaty/unsafe feeling. Here are instructions on page 3 of this pdf on how to open/close the valves. Give to your dealer or a trusted tech if it's beyond your comfort level and that of the dealer. http://www.heasmans.com.au/new_site/pdfs/11995-9810.pdf

After your last update, it appears being undersprung may be the issue though....so long as it's felt planted with 1-4 people on board in the previous 15k.

Yes, the M5 is a joy but I will soon be selling after 2 1/2 great years I'm afraid as the wife does not like SMGIII (I do, but she never drove stick so struggles with shift points) and I'm in the LC most of the time due to the dog. Good news is we'll likely be getting the 2013 model, but that is more than a year away and I sure will miss the 8,250 redline of the V10. You are wise to keep her out of the snow.

Last edited:
I was think that perhaps the bounce is coming from the bottoming out on the rubber stops. Looking at them there is very little room between the spring perch and the rubber stop. This would cause the truck to bottom out on the stop and cause erratic on road handling rather than a linear suspension movement.

I'm sure the bump stop is great from time when we're towing but in this particular instance I think it was dangerous. Sounds like the airbags will actually improve handling making the suspension more predictable.

Anyone try Bilstein shocks on a otherwise stock suspension? As I said above it did wonders for on road the handling of the LC100.

Thoughts?

Arich, mine felt the same way loaded with passengers, specially while offroad.

The stock shocks have poor bottoming control, which sounds like what you are experiencing. My 100 with AHC delivers a lot more confidence when loaded traveling fast offroad.

To solve the issue on the 200 I went with the OME nitro charger sport and medium weight 1" lift setup. This definitively eliminated any bottoming concerns and greatly increased the on and offroad handling.

However, the 200 is now a bit to stiff for my liking. If i were to do it over again I would not cheep out and go with the Radflo or Ikon stuff. I understand that they are a lot more plush. I ride MX and a plush ride with good bottoming control and good ground contact is what everyone is trying to achieve..... From what I read, it looks like the more $$ suspension providers have this down.

One word of advice - I highly recommend stone guards in the rear if you are going to run more aggressive tires and drive gravel roads. I just got back from Big Bend National Park, and after hauling butt down gravel roads with mud tires I have multiple 2mm deep dings in my stone guards and a few in the shock body above...... Toughness is OMEs big selling point, but maybe a set of Bilstiens will provide a better ride.

I currently own 2 100 series 98, 02 lx 470 and a 200 series 09 LC

I have to agree that the best riding quality is still the 02 LX

200 series rocks and rolls more and it takes awhile to get used to

Just my 2 cent

Love the ride on 11-200

I've had a 98 lx, 97lx, 07lc with ahc, 07lc, 10lx and an 11lc. I bought this one because I have a dislocated tail bone and the ride is great. The handling is also great. I like it better than the ahc version on the lx. avoid the dealer unless you really have a problem. They just don't see enough of them.
Geologic

Still have an issue with the ride quality.

Tomorrow will be the third visit to two different dealers with complaints about ride quality. Since its my wife's car I only get to drive it on long trips. We just got back from a 600 mile trip and there is certainly an issue.
One of the shocks has to be bad because over 40mph every bump you hit the suspension reverberates. (spelling?) It continues to vibrate after hitting the bump instead of being damped. I cant figure out which corner its coming from.

After owning two 100s I know how solid the truck it supposed to feel and I have had shocks go bad on other cars so I know what it feels like.

The thing that really gets me is that each dealer has told me, "It's normal for a Land Cruiser."

Anyone have any advice or ammo when I go in tomorrow? I am am considering starting a Lemon Law complaint if it's not fixed tomorrow.

Thanks,
Anthony

arich I think the problem is your other car is an M5 so your standards on ride quality are way too high ;)

arich I think the problem is your other car is an M5 so your standards on ride quality are way too high ;)

The M5 will rattle your fillings out when set to the stiffest settings. I drive in the softest of the 3 settings which is still stiff it not spine compressing.

Seriously I know enough about cars and trucks to recognize something is wrong. My 100 rode like a 70s Caddy until I but in the Bilsteins and tightened up the ride. Best $$ I ever spent.

With the 200 this is not an old shock it's a shock that is not doing its job. I know that tomorrow I'm going to be told nothing is wrong by the 23 year old technician. I will then escalate to have Toyota buy this back and replace with a 2013 or go lemon law. I might sound like a whiny bitch but when you pay what we do for an SUV you expect it do be of the highest quality.

BTW. I checked cars.com today for 2013 LCs and found a HUGE number of 2011s left over and available for sale. Glad to see used ones are holding strong. $$$$

i'd go find another 200 to drive and see if it feels the same. but mine doesn't 'reverberate', so this does not sound normal.

The M5 will rattle your fillings out when set to the stiffest settings. I drive in the softest of the 3 settings which is still stiff it not spine compressing.

Seriously I know enough about cars and trucks to recognize something is wrong. My 100 rode like a 70s Caddy until I but in the Bilsteins and tightened up the ride. Best $$ I ever spent.

With the 200 this is not an old shock it's a shock that is not doing its job. I know that tomorrow I'm going to be told nothing is wrong by the 23 year old technician. I will then escalate to have Toyota buy this back and replace with a 2013 or go lemon law. I might sound like a whiny bitch but when you pay what we do for an SUV you expect it do be of the highest quality.

BTW. I checked cars.com today for 2013 LCs and found a HUGE number of 2011s left over and available for sale. Glad to see used ones are holding strong. $$$$

I love the Bilsteins on my 100 - best money I've spent also. I wished I would have had them befere I drove it off the lot when new. Can you put them on a 200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom