RHD 81 BJ42 - Left flasher issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alternativemotors.net
Time for inspection on my NZ BJ42, fun fact when it shipped to me here in TX the "Warrant of Fitness" sticker was up to date and there were .22 shells on the floor in the cab.:)

Right hand signal working fine, flasher relay, and grounds seem good but no left signal. Checking the FJ40 forum and the wiring diagram it looks like all turn signal goes through the hazard switch?

I pulled the switch and noticed the heat shrink sleeve on the housing is damaged. No scorching in the connector or burned fuses, just what appears to be a melted sleeve:
IMG_4080.jpg

Toyota Matt has a rebuilt - NOS OEM Hazard Switch Assy. w/ KNOB & Pin wrench retainer Nut / Bolt 9/77-12/84 FJ40, FJ55 - VintageTEqParts.com which I am ok to buy but wanted to check to see if there were any other ideas for troubleshooting before I pull the trigger on that part?

There weren't any BJ42s sold in NZ as far as I have heard... Is this a JDM that was imported to NZ?

You really should look more at the BJ42 wiring diagram from Canadian 42s as that is more likely accurate than the FJ40 version.

Let me know and I can see if I have a better wiring diagram for you.

Oh... And what year as that makes a difference as well...

Thanks Breck,
This old girl (1981) was purchased by Global Classic Imports in NZ for me from a helicopter tour company. I am not sure if it was sold new in NZ or came from Australia or Japan direct. Other than paint she was in 100% original condition and maintained like... you would maintain your helicopter :).

Thanks for the offer for the diagrams, I was able to find a thread here with links to PDF. Also attaching here.

The issue was the fact that I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED's (since I am lazy). Also found a thread on mud that mentioned that the flasher relay uses load/resistance on the line (from the bulbs) to pull the switch. I ordered a Toyota replacement electronic flasher from CCOT and will swap that out with the $20 universal when it arrives.

IMG_4082.jpg

Attachments

• BJ40-42 & HJ47 wiring diagram.pdf
    502.1 KB · Views: 81
  • BJ40-1980 WIRING DIAG fig #1.pdf
    202.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BJ40-1980 WIRING DIAG fig #2.pdf
    187.6 KB · Views: 58
  • BJ40-1980 WIRING DIAG FULL.pdf
    335.5 KB · Views: 52
@Walkman Did you work with Pete or John Bailey? Pete ended up in jail for fraud so good thing you got your rig before all that happened!

I assume your rig is 24v... If your flasher is toast, I have an oem two pin coming up for sale if you're interested. Also, I'd love to know your frame number as I have a few questions for you if your rig is the correct build date.

I have a 1981 BJ44 I got from John as well. It has a few interesting JDM things I've been wanting to confirm some things about and that's why I was interested in your build date.

Last edited:
To be honest I dont remember who I was dealing with (I think John) but I remember they were based in Nantucket. There was a little snafu in that the shipper delivered the wrong rig (also a BJ42 but in much worse shape). They cleared that up really fast, other than that and based on my experience they delivered as expected. Sorry to hear that others didn't have the same experience and it cost them the business.

This rig is 12V, the frame number is 000915 (matches both engine placard and frame inscription). Feel free to PM if you need any more details or have other questions.

John still does importation under the name c-a-r-s.com but GCI is no longer due to Pete. He was the man on the ground in NZ and John was Nantucket and Georgia.

Looks like your rig was a general market (most likely AUS) and was built in 11/80 making it an early 1981 model year. They started the 1981 model year production in 8/80.

You already found the issue with the flashers being resistance sensitive. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Time for inspection on my NZ BJ42, fun fact when it shipped to me here in TX the "Warrant of Fitness" sticker was up to date and there were .22 shells on the floor in the cab.:)

Right hand signal working fine, flasher relay, and grounds seem good but no left signal. Checking the FJ40 forum and the wiring diagram it looks like all turn signal goes through the hazard switch?

I pulled the switch and noticed the heat shrink sleeve on the housing is damaged. No scorching in the connector or burned fuses, just what appears to be a melted sleeve:
View attachment 2529312

Toyota Matt has a rebuilt - NOS OEM Hazard Switch Assy. w/ KNOB & Pin wrench retainer Nut / Bolt 9/77-12/84 FJ40, FJ55 - VintageTEqParts.com which I am ok to buy but wanted to check to see if there were any other ideas for troubleshooting before I pull the trigger on that part?

con you post the connector photos here too ?

if its a AU spec indeed may have a waffle connector not a typical USA late model connector

i have refurbished HAZARD switches too

fyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom