Retro 40 taillight conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I designed this template to convert the fugly 80s era taillight assembly into something that accepts old style 40 series lights. I used 64-68 taillights, front bib parking lights as signals, and decided on baja designs corner lights for reverse.

Id like to make a batch if the community is interested. Im curious what a going price would be if theyre demanded. I got a quote from a local waterjet service to cut them out of stainless plate.
What do you guys think?
20211107_161645.jpg

The design doesnt require any modification to the frame. Originally, i tried to keep the tailight in the middle and the flood light towards the bumperette, but that didnt fit very well.

Any suggestions on different reverse lights?
I personally hate LEDs and tried to stay away from them, but havent found any small floods worth their weight that werent LED.

Also, really dislike red signals, so ambers were a must.

I designed this template to convert the fugly 80s era taillight assembly into something that accepts old style 40 series lights. I used 64-68 taillights, front bib parking lights as signals, and decided on baja designs corner lights for reverse.

Id like to make a batch if the community is interested. Im curious what a going price would be if theyre demanded. I got a quote from a local waterjet service to cut them out of stainless plate.
What do you guys think?
View attachment 2835071
I think this is pretty damn cool. I'm not a buyer, but appreciate the effort and ingenuity! I would vote NO on the BD reverse light integrated in. If you wanted to keep it OEM on the reverse light, here would be an OEM option, though I am not sure visually how this would play out with the two round lights and a rectangular one between.

If this just looks too funky, I would bring the two lights closer and have a bit more of an offset to the perimeter of the bracket. Put the backup light in the center of the bumperettes.

Last edited:
I agree that OEM would be best, considering the crowd. It has to be elegant as well as functional.
The reverse light is the biggest challenge in this application. I think the two light bracket would be better than squeezing three in there.
...but how to mount a reverse light that flows well with aesthetics.

I do like that vintage backup light though. Thanks for sharing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom