Restoring rear sliding window frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday Everyone.

I am finding it very hard to find a replacement sliding window for my 80.

I have had a leak in my passenger side sliding window and discovered a lot of corrosion on the frame. I cleaned this hoping I could get a little more time out of it, but as you can see the corrosion was pretty much holding the frame together.

I have tried to source a second hand one locally, but I am finding it pretty difficult. I also quite enjoy the restoration side of things (find it weirdly therapeutic).

So my question is this. Can I simply strengthen the frame with epoxy or similar? Any recommendations would be appreciated. And unfortunately I cant weld (yet).

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

JB Weld? Fortunately for me, mine are still intact. If and when my left side goes (North America version) I will install a lift hatch.

Mine were in worse shape when I took them out. I switched over to a non slider seal when I installed my flip up windows. The frames are not worth trying to rehab. They are not very strong, and will only get worse with time.

I'd also assume that with the amount of corrosion on the frame, that you may be seeing a bit of rust on the body at the window opening too. Slider frames allow water to collect causing rust. If you don't love the sliders, now is a perfect time to swap over to one piece windows.

Can't be too hard to find replacement frames.

Have you tried wreckers?
Facebook marketplace?
Gumtree?

With metal that rusted, there's not a lot to weld to.
Epoxy etc is probably gonna be a short lived patch

I bought a pair in 2019. They're still available in the US, although the price has doubled:
1662378221196.png

Sorry for the slow reply guys. I appreciate your comments.

I am trying JB Weld. Just hoping to buy myself a couple of weeks. I am surprised, but the rubber has cleaned up pretty well. If I can get it all back together tomorrow I may be OK.

I have tried wreckers, FB and Gumtree and people are either asking too much, a nightmare to deal with or too far away. I have made contact with a couple of people about 2 hours away and I may use these guys.

I would love to get Gull Wings, but they are a little expensive at the moment. I think I like the idea for solid glass windows to replace the slides. The dog is the only one that likes those windows open anyway :) - I will need to look for second hand solids.

Thanks again.

both of mine were pretty corroded. Was able to clean up and put back in but not sure in years from now that they'll continue to be structurally intact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom