[Request] Favorite cooking setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG-2350.jpg

My current setup isn't working for me, as seen in the picture! I personally love to get chefy with it and so I need something bigger than the one burner I'm on now, plus some prep space, ideally propane, and some kind of organization or storage. Does anyone have a set upl or cook station they love and recommend?

Not sure it's our "favorite" as it's our only cooking option at the moment. :)
With an infinite number of choices and no budget we chose this setup because:
  • It's a Coleman Powerhouse 414 (larger than the std Coleman dual burner) which can accommodate 2 10" fry pans or kettles
  • It can run on dual fuel which can be gotten anywhere
  • No propane to lug around
    • Well it actually can run on propane with the proper adapter - which we have just in case.
  • Inexpensive
  • Small to pack
  • Durable
We have also taken a portable countertop induction cook-top when we know there would be electricity.
temp.jpg

If that's your camping rig then you will have to get a bit more creative than me. I pack all kinds of stuff in my square drop camper and maybe you'll get some kind of ideas from my set up. I don't think I have any pictures of it all set up but I'll look.

I use a Dewalt mobile tool box as my kitchen box. It holds my pots, pans, cutting boards, jet boil, kitchen knives, utensils, plates, bowls, etc.

Dewalt Tool Box

For cooking, I use a Coleman Roadtrip Grill

Coleman Roadtrip Grill

For a prep table, I carry a collapsible table like this

Aluminum Camp Table

You got the stuff, I would switch to the 2 burner coleman or similar, theres lots on amazon and add a propane grill, they are small and you can fit 3 small propane bottles in the lid for packing/transport, I put a piece of foil over the grill to keep the pane bottles clean. IMO the only other thing you need is a table, if you had a table your set up would work well using the hitch platform for cooler, pans, totes and the table for stove and to eat on, set the grill somewhere out of wind and where it wont smoke out the car. I use my pan/cooking gear tote as a sink/wash bin and just dry it out before packing. Get a folding table, 2 burner stove, and a grill on amazon probably for less than 100 for all thre things. Stock up on small propane now as in a month they may be scarce.

View attachment 3298282
My current setup isn't working for me, as seen in the picture! I personally love to get chefy with it and so I need something bigger than the one burner I'm on now, plus some prep space, ideally propane, and some kind of organization or storage. Does anyone have a set upl or cook station they love and recommend?
No table or chairs? Have you been to REI or Bass Pro or Cabelas? Aluminum tables are slippery, get a nonstick cover, that
won't melt. Do an internet search for 'Camping boxes'

The National and State parks will usually have a table and fire ring at each campsite. But if it looks like we're going where there won't be one then we take this fold up table which we like a lot:

Heavy-Duty Roll-Top Table-Large

For in the tent or for just around the campsite we have the following on every trip:

TravelChair Side Canyon Table

We once thought this was the way to go but haven't gotten it - yet LOL!
It looks like it would be great but might be just something else to lug around.
Maybe when we get a 6x12 cargo trailer...
Cabela's Deluxe Camp Kitchen

You could always go overboard and get one of these: :cool:

Komodo Camp Kitchen

I have the walmart version of the cabelas kitchen and it packs up small, love it. mine is a bit smakker than the cabelas ( no left side extra just the middle and the stove part with lantern pole.

View attachment 3298282
A table. I have a nice folding one, Lifetime brand. Inexpensive.

A two burner stove. Coleman? I have a Camp Chef Summit, has some good BTUs.

The National and State parks will usually have a table and fire ring at each campsite. But if it looks like we're going where there won't be one then we take this fold up table which we like a lot:

Heavy-Duty Roll-Top Table-Large

For in the tent or for just around the campsite we have the following on every trip:

TravelChair Side Canyon Table

We once thought this was the way to go but haven't gotten it - yet LOL!
It looks like it would be great but might be just something else to lug around.
Maybe when we get a 6x12 cargo trailer...
Cabela's Deluxe Camp Kitchen

You could always go overboard and get one of these: :cool:

Komodo Camp Kitchen
Thank you! I have a couple of REI roll up tables but they aren't huge. The Cabela's is definitely more the style I am looking for, but I agree that the staging is probably more of the dream than the reality. LMK if you pull the trigger and like it :)

It’s this and love it, love it love it. https://www.cadacinternational.com/carri-chef-2-bbq-chef-pan

the JetBoil Genesis two burner has the most finely adjustable flame I’ve ever seen. great combo to get your chef on.

Looks great! How does the genesis do in the wind?
Took the camper out on our early season in Alaska. Can't wait for it to warm up a bit more... And to finish my cruiser 😏

View attachment 3313390

View attachment 3313391

Pretty cool 413. Yard sale find?

The old coleman suitcase stoves are fun. Infinitely rebuildable, easy to troubleshoot, and cheap to run. Fussy compared to propane to operate. I like the 413/414 (larger footprint) as the smaller 423/424 always end up getting scorched.

Pretty cool 413. Yard sale find?

The old coleman suitcase stoves are fun. Infinitely rebuildable, easy to troubleshoot, and cheap to run. Fussy compared to propane to operate. I like the 413/414 (larger footprint) as the smaller 423/424 always end up getting scorched.
Yup, garage sale for $10. Hard to beat

it does OK. there is a wind screen that comes with it, but I would say that's the only minor drawback and very minor. I cook on the tailgate a lot, so it hasn't been an issue. it's nice to do a low simmer. ;)

For a grill in our first camper we carried a Magma Marine Kettle. Highly recommended. With the various accessories available for it it can easily be your sole cooking option. Note how ours is heat discolored. It got that way from burning it full blast for a while to burn off the grate. It's a low temperature kiln if you want it to be. I made a section of boat railing to clamp it to, but you can get a three legged stand for it as well.
i-p5xzWs6-M.jpg

For a table I now carry one of these: 4' Folding Banquet Table Off-White - Plastic Dev Group - https://www.target.com/p/4-folding-banquet-table-off-white-plastic-dev-group/-/A-15127167 as it punches all of the easy buttons while being more robust than any of the roll-up tables that I owned or used. And if it gets damaged beyond use it only cost $40.
GUEST_9a1742bd-8a33-449c-b020-33fcb1a20353

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom