Replacing the fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fjc-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently replaced my 228,000 mile old fuel pump before it decided when to die. It’s not technically hard to do, but if your doing it by yourself it has some awkward moments. First, if your like most people without a hoist in your garage. Get the big set of HF jack stands under the rear axle at about six clicks up otherwise you’ll have trouble getting the tank out from under... the only thing to be disconnected from the access cover under the L/R seat is the electrical connector. Take your time with the fuel and vapor recovery line disconnecting. I took the evap lines off at the charcoal canister end ( more room to work with ). I replaced just the pump. The part of this operation I most want to tell you about is this. The OEM pump doesn’t come with a new pressure outlet o-ring ( I’m pointing at it with a screwdriver ) make sure you transfer the old one to the plastic post in the housing before snapping the new pump in place. It appears the only way to get this o-ring is to buy the entire gauge/pump/housing assembly. Hope this helps the next guy. Bill

B918AEBF-6DDA-4CBD-8258-9DC0B656785E.jpeg

C6370F19-F2CC-41AE-AD16-A693133307BB.jpeg

F695F74A-5471-4FE8-8985-FF5FDF751404.jpeg

Hi,probably a hour and a half. Once you remove the two strap bolts at the frame and start lowering it, take the pin out for the rear strap which gets it entirely out of the way. Disconnect all the lines first. Try and do it with as little gas in the tank as you can. The gas sloshing around really makes handling the tank awkward. Oh, and be careful.

So your recommending not to fire up a Cohiba while looking for that o-ring?
Nice post, one to archive for when the time comes.

Right, no sparks, flames, smoldering butts. Gas fumes / vapor hangs like a invisible fog bank 12 inches off the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom