Replacing only one tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a '99 LX470 to buy, and I noticed that the left rear tire does not match the other three. It is a diiferent brand and it is new, conpared to the others that have maybe 10K - 12K left on them.

Can you just add one new tire without damaging the vehicle? I am pretty sure that it was not recomended on my 80 series, and our Volvo needed four new tires after we had a blow out in one. (They said it would screw up the drivetrain)

I would think that you would have to change at least two. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Stack

If the others have only 10K left on them then I would say get 4 new and switch the newish one to the spare. I think the potential for damage is small but so is the gain of 10k worth of milage on the old tires. Fine to drive off the lot for a couple of days while you decide on a final tire selection.

If I were purchasing I would focus on the three worn tires and not worry about one new one. That is an upcoming maintnence expense to be figured in the price.

Milage on the truck? Types and sizes of tires ? Price on the truck?

When you bargain get a price reduction don't have the dealer get new tires. That way you can research exactly what you want in the way of tires to meet your specific needs. (31 or 33" - Driving conditions ect) If you let the dealer get them they will get the rock-bottom cheapest tires that will fit. You are also better off with being the original purchaser of the tires yourself when it comes to warranty,service, ect...

The '99 LX has 55K miles on it. The tires are stock size, but I do not think the three are orginal. They are Bridgestone and the spare is a Michelin (Stock on '99s, right) . The new tire is a Kelly I think. They want 25 k for the truck.

Should I be wondering why the three replacment tires have quit a bit of wear if they are the second set of tires, and the truck has 55K miles? Just a thought.

They probably switched off the others to a different vehicle for sale at a higher price. It's a dealer right?

Anyway, as earlier suggested, have them take off $ for 4 equiv tires and get 'em on your own. You can get the brand/tread/size you want plus a warranty elsewhere. I did that with my new 99 LC purchase. I had my extra set of Dunlop's from my 80 to throw on them so I'm good for a few more k miles, plus I got the $ down. Dealer was offering to get TWO new tires for me in price negotiation's stead, which I KNEW would be walmart specials.

P.S. Douglas tires by walmart actually are great tires, but...

If the truck is in good shape (leather, not abused, Not from NO) sounds like a fair deal. IMOP 55K is a good place to buy as any neglected service will have had little effect so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom