Replacing hood cable on 96 80 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G80

Threads
Would appreciate some advice on installing a new hood cable. I tried to route the new cable through the firewall grommet but it won't go in from there the engine side, tried taping to the old one inside the cab prior to removing the old one but it got stuck in that ridiculously small grommet. The ECU is in the way and there is no visual access to the grommet from inside the cab, I'm assuming the ECU and bracket needs removed to do this. If someone has installed one, please confirm if this is the case.
Also, though my cable seems to have never been previously changed it appears to be routed incorrectly. It's passing under the fuse box and battery box, makes a sharp vertical 90 degree turn and goes under the radiator support. The Toyota parts diagrams seem to show it pass through the inner fender and perhaps behind the right headlight before going under the rad support, no sharp vertical 90 degree from under the battery box. I would have to remove the headlight to get it routed through the fender. I'll somehow get it through the grommet by removing the ECU but really curious about the correct routing, Toyota could have made this easier.....

I managed to pull it thru the grommet, had to make the tape super sleek but it worked

Might try again with tape, I've looked at repair manuals for the 80 online and no mention of hood cable anywhere. It probably does go behind the battery box, maybe more to the side than under it and back up again.

Just did mine last week on my 96. I was fighting my cable being broken at the latch and the hood was permanently shut lol. I grabbed some cheap electrical tape and dielectric grease and pulled like I was starting my Honda power washer and all was good. Once the hood was open it took me 20 min to route the cable.
F40A2A7C-81B5-4CCA-B506-833D24A286DA.jpeg

AAAB755C-EBE0-416B-8151-F01BDCAFF6F6.jpeg

I grabbed some cheap electrical tape and dielectric grease and pulled like I was starting my Honda power washer and all was good.

I read this and all I can think about is a post made by @FLATU8ER made in another thread. I laugh my ass off every time I think about this......

Got it in. Since I had already removed the old one, pulling was not an option but I tried cutting the old one and reinserting to use as a 'snake' but it wouldn't go in. Finally took out the ECU and inserted the new one in through the cab quite easily, then discovered that two of the screws connecting brackets to ECU are frozen and stripped so now I have something else to do... I could just ignore it and put it back but the screws are all stripped from me trying to get them off so have to change for cosmetic reasons, cut slots with a dremel and try to get them off. There was no need to mess with those screws as it pulls off fine with brackets attached.

So I recommend removing the ECU with both brackets attached, it comes out quite easily and inserting the new cable in from the cab. Pulling with the old one seems like a lot of brute force, hit or miss and might damage something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom