Replacing Head Unit- question about Airplay USB in Cigarette lighter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my 1999 OEM original head unit with a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX. I wanted HD radio, Airplay, double DIN...options were limited.

I bought an adapter to replace the right cigarette lighter with a male/female USB styled plug that will connect to AirplayUSB directly to the back of the head unit. The cigarette lighter power will be capped. This USB port will now be able to be used to connect my phone to AirPlay rather than having a to find/hide a dangling USB wire somewhere and then connect a cable from there to my phone. I'm just going for a cleaner look. Next is out to run the micrphone wire lol

Thoughts on removal of the cigarette lighter panel? It looks like the panel just pops off, or pulls off.

If it all works, I'll post some pictures. The radio, microphone, airplay...it all works but I want to get this setup complete and then figure out the Micrphone before putting everything all back. So far the HD radio is a noticeable improvement.

Thoughts?

The panel that holds the ash tray, cig lighter and aux power plug just pops right off. Then you will have to remove the plugs from the two power connections to get the item out and work on it. Took a bit to get the collar off the cig lighter body which then allows everything to come out in multiple pieces. But I was trying to preserve everything. You could probably just destroy the cig lighter to get things out easily.

The panel that holds the ash tray, cig lighter and aux power plug just pops right off. Then you will have to remove the plugs from the two power connections to get the item out and work on it. Took a bit to get the collar off the cig lighter body which then allows everything to come out in multiple pieces. But I was trying to preserve everything. You could probably just destroy the cig lighter to get things out easily.

There are two "lighters", or what looks like I could use for lighters. As you look down at them, I was going to use the one on the right that just has the flap to cover it when it isn't being used. The one on the left (or more in the middle of the panel) actually has the old lighter.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to break the panel nor have to disassemble my entire dash to do this...but I want do it right lol

There are two "lighters", or what looks like I could use for lighters. As you look down at them, I was going to use the one on the right that just has the flap to cover it when it isn't being used. The one on the left (or more in the middle of the panel) actually has the old lighter.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to break the panel nor have to disassemble my entire dash to do this...but I want do it right lol
So the thing is that one (middle of console or left lighter) is the actual lighter the other (far right) is actually a 120w power outlet that is only shaped like a lighter. I would use the middle one (check Alita's build thread from when I did it) as that it the main "cig lighter" and thus is controlled different than the 120w outlets in the vehicle (one in center console and one in the rear cargo).

So the thing is that one (middle of console or left lighter) is the actual lighter the other (far right) is actually a 120w power outlet that is only shaped like a lighter. I would use the middle one (check Alita's build thread from when I did it) as that it the main "cig lighter" and thus is controlled different than the 120w outlets in the vehicle (one in center console and one in the rear cargo).

I did what you said. I actually took out the lighter in the center. I left the 120w outlet. It looks good. Definitely easier to take out the lighter panel if you pull up the plastic around the shifter first.

I'm gonna put a post about microphone placement. I'd like to keep it closer to the center console, but it make sense to keep it away from the AC vents. I've seen it up on the garage door opening door and it looked good. I just need to see about running/hiding the wire all the way.

I did what you said. I actually took out the lighter in the center. I left the 120w outlet. It looks good. Definitely easier to take out the lighter panel if you pull up the plastic around the shifter first.

I'm gonna put a post about microphone placement. I'd like to keep it closer to the center console, but it make sense to keep it away from the AC vents. I've seen it up on the garage door opening door and it looked good. I just need to see about running/hiding the wire all the way.
Yeah I think when I did it, just because I was trying to maintain the original cig lighter just in case I ever needed/wanted to replace (OCD in me) it took me longer to figure out how it came apart than it did to do the entire job.

Like I said in your other thread, I have mine placed on the upper console (sunroof control and map lights) for the time being. I plan to get a scanguage II and one of Ben's mounts for the sunglass holder up there that has the open slot for the mic. So I pre-ran the mic wire up there. I already had the dash apart doing something else so wasn't a huge deal to worry about that. Looks like you have a 03+ so you would probably be easier/better off mounting it to the small black fascia that is below the cluster like in your other thread.

Yeah I think when I did it, just because I was trying to maintain the original cig lighter just in case I ever needed/wanted to replace (OCD in me) it took me longer to figure out how it came apart than it did to do the entire job.

Like I said in your other thread, I have mine placed on the upper console (sunroof control and map lights) for the time being. I plan to get a scanguage II and one of Ben's mounts for the sunglass holder up there that has the open slot for the mic. So I pre-ran the mic wire up there. I already had the dash apart doing something else so wasn't a huge deal to worry about that. Looks like you have a 03+ so you would probably be easier/better off mounting it to the small black fascia that is below the cluster like in your other thread.
Actually, mine is a 99. I like the black fascia in front of the cluster...I'm going to try that this afternoon.

Appreciate the feedback. The USB adapter (where the cig lighter was) connected to the Airplay came out great. I'll post pictures of everything when I'm done.

Did you ever finish the install? I'm currently going through the same thing you're talking about in this post. I was actually going to get the same HU but opted for a kenwood with tactile volume buttons instead. I'm still on the fence about it though. Just didn't like those touch screen volume buttons. Did you ever get the usb port figured out and did you have to buy another trim piece to make it fit? I'm a caveman when it comes to anything electronic/wiring.

You reminded me to post pictures of my install. I'm ver pleased with how it came out...looks like it was made like that.

LC Radio 4.jpg

LC Radio 6.jpg

LC Radio 7.jpg

LC Radio 2.jpg

LC Radio 3.jpg

Nice that turned out great. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm doing the exact same thing in the next couple of days. Are you liking the HU? I'm tempted to go back and get that one. Is that trim piece surrounding the unit stock or did you have to order a larger one?

Thanks! So far I am happy with the HU. For some reason I can't seem to be able to dim the screen...particularly at night it is very bright. It is all touch, which at times can be tough to find, especially in busy traffic when you can't look down.
The trim around the radio is stock. The Pioneer HU was a perfect fit from the OEM. The wiring harness was "busy" but I got it all hooked up.

Thanks! So far I am happy with the HU. For some reason I can't seem to be able to dim the screen...particularly at night it is very bright. It is all touch, which at times can be tough to find, especially in busy traffic when you can't look down.
The trim around the radio is stock. The Pioneer HU was a perfect fit from the OEM. The wiring harness was "busy" but I got it all hooked up.
If you used a Metra or equivalent harness, you'll need to tap a wire in the OEM wire harness to hook up your ILLU wire for your HU wiring harness. You'll be able to control dimming like your interior lights when your lights are on when hooked up correctly and the HU is set up to control dimming that way in your HU menus.

This was recently discussed (again) here: Mr. Squiddy's stereo wiring adventures

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not an electrical guru...but I'm guessing I can somehow figure this one out

Not trying to get too deep in the weeds here buuutttt, did you use a metra or equivalent harness? I've also read that it is best to bypass the factory amp. Did you bypass it? The more I research the more confused I get. So if you aren't having any issues, I'm pretty much going to do what ever you did and hope for the best lol.

Im not sure what harness. I used whatevwr crutchfield sent for my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom