Replacement Windshield Tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My white '97 Collectors Edition is going into the shop in about a week for a new windshield, some minor paint repair, and a polish. The existing windshield is cracked, and whoever the PO hired to install it used an aftermarket seal that caused a bit of rust to form on an upper corner. I'm confident the new body shop will do a good job repairing the corrosion and will install the new OEM windshield with an OEM seal (they said it before I had the chance to ask).

When I look up windshields I get Toyota part #5611160190 that is listed as "green." I assume this means green tint, but I don't know if it's a subtle tint over the whole windshield or just the top edge. My current aftermarket windshield appears to not have any tint except for a 4" blue band across the top.

If possible, I would really like to go with the factory correct windshield. Does anybody know if the green tint is correct or if there are/were other tints available that I'm not seeing? Obviously the rest of the windows have a fairly unique bronze tint, and that has held up really well on my cruiser. I'm just not sure about the windshield.

Thanks guys,

Caleb

When I got mine replaced they asked if I wanted the green tint I said yes. For mine it was just a dark tint with a blueish bottom. Hope this helps. Also added a 5% tint strip along the top adds a nice look

When I got mine replaced they asked if I wanted the green tint I said yes. For mine it was just a dark tint with a blueish bottom. Hope this helps. Also added a 5% tint strip along the top adds a nice look

Thanks for the reply. It was a dark tint? It doesn't make sense that a windshield would have a dark tint. And the bluish strip should've been at the top, right?

This is what mine is. Dark blue at top light blue at bottom. Remember I have another tint strip added on so yours will look different

0B341BAC-6228-4674-A431-A9E74BC083F2.jpeg

On my 91 the only option is blue not sure on the later years.
Thanks... That brings up a good question. In 97 the only option I see listed is green. I'd imagine they're interchangeable, but maybe not.

If CruiserDan was still working for the Dealership I'd give him a call. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

This is what is listed on parts.toyota.com which I would say is more likely based on the specific years listed for the windshield

upload_2017-10-10_9-25-37.png

Jdayment - I really appreciate that. For some reason when I search my local dealership's online store for 97 without a vin the only result that comes up is green.

I :::think::: the green is what my black 80 has, it is the clearest upper there was.

Both my LX450 & 40th AE ones had the dark blue banded upper, and I know the 40th & my black one were wearing OE glass.

I am not a fan of the banded ones, but I live in WA where cloudcover is more the norm than not most months/days.

You could check what they spec out for a 450, that would prob give you a final answer. IDK.

I visited the parts counter at my local dealership. He said the green tint windshield is available, but the blue tint is no longer available. The blue tinted windshield's part number supercedes to the green tint windshield.

He claimed, based upon my vin, that mine came with a green tint, but I don't have 100% confidence in that claim. Either way, looks like I'm going with green. I can live with that.

What were you quoted on a price from you local dealership if you dont mind me asking.

What were you quoted on a price from you local dealership if you dont mind me asking.

I want to say the MSRP they were charging over the counter was just over $500. However, this dealership, like many, also has an online parts store where you can purchase the parts online, but choose to pick them up at the parts counter. Orders are typically available at the counter the next day without any charge for shipping, and at a much lower price. Online the windshield is $388 and the gasket was about $52.

I visited the parts counter at my local dealership. He said the green tint windshield is available, but the blue tint is no longer available. The blue tinted windshield's part number supercedes to the green tint windshield.

He claimed, based upon my vin, that mine came with a green tint, but I don't have 100% confidence in that claim. Either way, looks like I'm going with green. I can live with that.

It's a little weird when 1 80 has clear/green & the 40th had blue tint band.

It was like you were riding around behind a set of 70's pimp glasses. And to me it sucked when you were looking upwards trying to see through it.

Since you're just over the pass I'd really go as little tint as possible - if you were in AZ/NM/CA/TX then sure, get Hyde's glasses (that 70's show).

I've had some bad luck with body shops knowing how to work on certain makes and models. So if it were me, I'd make sure they have experience replacing windshields on Land Cruisers, if they don't you could end up with leaks. Plus I'd make sure they know where to apply the gasket sealer (factory P/N 08833-00030) on the windshield gasket, some shops don't even know those windshield gaskets need a sealer.

I've had some bad luck with body shops knowing how to work on certain makes and models. So if it were me, I'd make sure they have experience replacing windshields on Land Cruisers, if they don't you could end up with leaks. Plus I'd make sure they know where to apply the gasket sealer (factory P/N 08833-00030) on the windshield gasket, some shops don't even know those windshield gaskets need a sealer.

The gasket sealer has been discontinued. Toyota dealership body shops are now using a 3M Weatherstripping gasket sealer.

Also, the the blue tint part number does indeed supersede to the green tint. 56111-60190 is the correct part number for the LC. Lexus trucks will have a different part number: 56111-60070 and has a bronze tint.

Have any of you actually picked up the OEM Toyota windshield at the dealership? Trying to see if it'll fit inside the 80 box included. Shipping is $240 so want to avoid this fee.

56111-60190

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom