Replaced Windshield - Guess what ?!?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, it is leaking ! of course, I read all of the good info here, and people’s recommendation.

So I went to the installer with the factory service manual and all the good info from here. As expected the tech did not want to listen to me, and we had the same argument every body had here.

After 30 minutes or so, he agreed to glue the windshield per the instructions. Needless to say, he did not do it right. They only glue the top part of the gasket to the body. They did not even put glue on the glass and the gasket !!!

So obviously it leaked. I went back so pissed ! the guy actually gave me my money back.

So after reading the instructions 100 times, this seems like something I could try to do myself. I have not read about anybody doing it here, and that got me wondering?

Is this something I can attempt to do at home myself ? I just don’t want to argue about this with another installer, and if I want to do it right I might as well do it myself.

Or… if somebody can recommend an installer in he DFW area it would be appreciated.

Thanks !

The SAME freaking thing happened to me. When I wash the truck I can see where it leaks in. After watching the guy f'up my window, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to remove it (too worried about breaking it) but putting it back in looked like no big deal.

there idiots arn't they? same happend to me. they fitted mine dry at first. it leaked. went back, he just stuck the nozel of a big fxxx off sealing gun under the seal and ran it all the way around the outside of the windscreen. sealant oozing out left right and centre.

mind you, its not leaking now...

my installer was such an idiot, that even after the FACT that it was leaking through the glass and the gasket, he still insisted that he could do it again, but without putting glue on it !!!!

Also, something that I did not mention, is that when it leaked humidity actually got inside the glass. I know it sound impossible, but there is a white cloud in the corner where it leaked, and it is defenetlly inside the glass. So we were already talking about replacing the defective glass. But even after first hand experience the guys did not want to learn, and that is when I ask for my money back.

So now I am back to square one, wondering if I should just do t myself.

Thanks for the feedback

I am here in DFW and used whoever Sewell Lexus down on Bryant Irvin in Ft. Worth directed me to... he was very careful about the temp. and humidity the days we tried to do it and I've had no condensation going on two years.

So, no direct recommendation but whoever the vendor was for Sewell Lexus was outstanding (I am positive he was a contractor).

Hope that was of some help...

I went through several glass companies here in Phoenix before I found one who would listen when I explained how I wanted the glass and gasket installed. My experience is to look for the small companies where the owner still installs the glass, they are less likely to be governed by corporate policies or to have received their "experience" watching a set of videos on glass replacement.

I have a somewhat similar story. I did go through a small company, the guy ran his own business and has installed windows for 30 years. He uses urethane standard, but only on the outside of the window to the gasket. It leaked the first time it rained. I called him up, and he happily came out and re-did all the urethane for free (first time the urethane cost me 40 bucks, so go figure). Hopefully this time it don't leak.

Why kind of windshield did you get? I got a PPG, blue on blue. OEM cost like 700 something...

It was the Chinese one, and I made sure it did not have any defects before installing it. They provided the gasket as well, and I amnot sure what brand it was.

I have already ordered a Toyota OEM gasket, and I am planning to get one of those small companies guys. That way I can even help him if needed, or at the very least watch him while he is doing the job.

Thanks for the feedback !

it is not impossible for water to get "in" the glass as these windshields are usually layers of glass glued together by a thin sheet of plastic film. That's what makes them shatter resistant of course.
Unfortunately, the fact that it did suggests that there may be a defect in the manufacture. (Sorry.)

it is not impossible for water to get "in" the glass as these windshields are usually layers of glass glued together by a thin sheet of plastic film. That's what makes them shatter resistant of course.
Unfortunately, the fact that it did suggests that there may be a defect in the manufacture. (Sorry.)

This is what happened after water got in. No way to clean it from inside or outside. I left it in the sun hoping it will dry out, but it did not.

I also agree that this may be some kind of manufacturer defect. No worries, I got my money back :D
IMG_1795.jpg

If you think you can get it back in w/o and problem and your useing a new gasket , just cut the lip off the old gasket from the inside and push the windshield out ,clean then put in the right way with the new gasket .
As for the white in the corner of the glass the water got between the glass and the plastic sheeting causing the plastic to turn white . You'll see this a lot on windshields that still use a rubber gasket (big semi trucks ,school buses box trucks etc)

good luck with it

Same thing here, windshield guy stripped the old windshield in 5 min then applied huge amounts of vaseline on the gasket and where ready to put the new one in the truck.

I got really p$$$ed

had to had clean the vaseline.
had them put the black sealing stuff between the glass and the gasket
HAD to have them clean were the gasket was.(full of dirt and old glue
had them put sealing between the gasket and the frame of the truck.

I even took out the wiper blades and the steel strip that covers them so they can work better.

amazing what I had to put up with.

I can understand how you feel.

good luck.

I did it myself it was messy to say the least make sure it is a warm to hot day so the sealant does not setup to fast ....the hardest part was the string method pulling the gasket onto the inner metal lip... I used weedwacker line ....if you have the fsm you will understand.... you do have to be careful that the windshield goes in as square as possible if it gets out of alignment it can get tricky.... make sure you wear surgical gloves that way you do not get sealant on your hands takes forever to come off....good luck 3 banana job...I did put the sealant on the outer and inner lip as per the fsm no leaks

It was the Chinese one, and I made sure it did not have any defects before installing it. They provided the gasket as well, and I amnot sure what brand it was.

I have already ordered a Toyota OEM gasket, and I am planning to get one of those small companies guys. That way I can even help him if needed, or at the very least watch him while he is doing the job.

Thanks for the feedback !

bummer. However, next time I would for sure go for non-chinese glass and an OEM gasket. When I called about mine, I told them I had a gasket ready and request the particular windshield I had installed. GL! I think you can do it on your own. Apparently my PPG windshield has a lifetime warranty through the small guy I used, but if not, I would try my hand at repairing the windshield.

PS - when you buy your urethane, also ask for any of this special spray s***. Apparently there is a substance the guys used that is really good for getting the urethane off the windshield, otherwise its a mess. Also, use a razor blade to trim off the extra urethane.

yep...my new chinese special and new molding is leaking. i kinda knew it would the installer propped himself up as someone that has done quite a few of the landcruiser, jeep and landrover windshields. i did have a printout of the FSM with me however he wanted to do it his way, course i was smiling on the inside the whole time he was installing the glass, knowing that it was going to leak. now he has to come out tomorrow and reseal the molding to the glass. yeah i know i should be bitching, but hey... this is ATL its gonna get a crack in the next few weeks anyway. next time when i say PPG i mean PPG, not this chinese shiot.
i would do it myself however i dont think i can get my insurance to pay for the parts for me to do it. at $50 a pop i'll let the "professionals" do it.

yep...my new chinese special and new molding is leaking. i kinda knew it would the installer propped himself up as someone that has done quite a few of the landcruiser, jeep and landrover windshields. i did have a printout of the FSM with me however he wanted to do it his way, course i was smiling on the inside the whole time he was installing the glass, knowing that it was going to leak. now he has to come out tomorrow and reseal the molding to the glass. yeah i know i should be bitching, but hey... this is ATL its gonna get a crack in the next few weeks anyway. next time when i say PPG i mean PPG, not this chinese shiot.
i would do it myself however i dont think i can get my insurance to pay for the parts for me to do it. at $50 a pop i'll let the "professionals" do it.

Classic! I need to replace mine, and hopefully the shop I choose will get it right the first time. :)

I always use Binswanger in Little Rock,Arkansas and Plano,Texas. Never a problem never a bad experiance. Mike

You can tell your insurance company to authorize an OE glass and gasket. That is half the battle. The other half is getting an installer to listen to how you want the glass installed.

oh yeah forgot. this was the installer that ACC here in ATL uses. went with them on there recommendations. guess i wont use either in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom