Replace factory alternator as a preventive step? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2008 has the original alternator after 122k miles and it works great. Anyone here change theirs out before it gave them issues? Curious if it is a waste of money or worth doing.

Thanks,

My 2008 has the original alternator after 122k miles and it works great. Anyone here change theirs out before it gave them issues? Curious if it is a waste of money or worth doing.

Thanks,

I coincidentally ran through a mud hole and all my electronics started flickering, AC turned off and on, speedometer and tach stopped working until it dried out, then the battery wouldn't hold a charge. needless to say alternator had taken a shat, so I changed out my factory alternator. easy job. 2 hours top for a job like that and never touching under the hood of a car.

From my vehicle history (2005). Previous owner:

188861 MILES DATE: 06/08/2016
DESCRIPTION: MISC ~|~OWNER STATES MALFUNCTION LIGHTS TURNED ON AND THEN AC STOPPED WORKING, RADIO STOPPED WORKING, AND THEN CAR DIED. VEHICLE TOWED IN. PLEASE
SERVICE: GENERATOR/STARTER/MTR-GAUGE
DESCRIPTION: GENERATOR/STARTER/MTR-GAUGE ~|~OWNER AGREES OVER THE PHONE TO REPLACING ALTERNATOR ~|~ALTERNATOR INTERNALLY FAILING ~|~REPLACED ALTERNATOR

I heard somewhere that every 150k miles is a nice time to think about change.
I also have same dilemma, because this event is the only one that stopped GX on round in past 15 years..

I got in my 2007 with 130k on it the other night and heard a loud whining noise. At first I thought the air pump, then power steering pump. Got under it and was obvious what/where was causing the noise. Swapped out, noise gone. I've read alternators have a 7 year life.

2009 with 145k miles. Mine went out 2-3 months past.

Does anyone know if this is linked to my ac/heat blower sometimes speeding up or slowing down with engine speed? 2009 w/130k

I have 127,000 miles and mine went out a few thousand miles ago. But, my truck spent its first 100,000 miles in Texas heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom