Removing plastic lens on Depo headlights to install projectors - advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about people putting the HID projectors in their headlights since @billygoats showed how awesome a light pattern he has. Most of them (seem to) be mods to factory housings with glass lenses.

Most of them say to heat the headlight housing at 25-275 degrees Farenheit for a few minutes (6-10) until the glue (butyl?) releases and you can take the lenses off. TRS seems to recommend 270F for 7 min.

I just recently updated my stock lenses to the Depo headlamps from @ranma21. They are the '06-07 "style" but fit in the older pre-'03 space to avoid changing grille and trim parts (and avoid grinding metal?). I like the look, but I'm not in love with the low beam light output (it isn't as good as some other people have posted - too much scatter, a hotspot, soft-ish cutoff).

I'd like to try to update the new Depos with projectors (just ordered some morimoto H1 bi-xenons), since the lenses are so clear.

What I'm wondering is whether the oven heating procedure is same for the Depo headlights with plastic lenses. I don't want to trash them.

If you've done this already, I'd be very appreciative of any advice you would be willing to share.

Hopefully I'm not just overthinking this... The lenses are designed to work with hot bulbs in them after all.

Thanks,
Charlie

PS. Not a TLC100, but this looks like an awesome overall tutorial:

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!

How the heck didn't I find that in a search. Sorry.

For future searchers - I found 7 minutes on 275 degrees Fahrenheit to be plenty. Watch out because the plastic softens in that time too. Also, take off anything removable. I forgot about the plastic grill clips and deformed one that I now need to replace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom