Removing Interior Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone removed the interior panels from the back/trunk area of a 100 series? We have been trying to find a leak in the back of our 2004 Land Cruiser and need to get a better look at where the water is coming into the truck. We are looking to remove the panels on the driver side of the rear area. Thanks much.

The interior panels come off pretty easily, once you know where the clips are. I can send you a pdf of the FSM detailing the steps. You'll need screwdrivers, a T20 Torx screwdriver, sockets for the seatbelts, and interior trim "clip removal tool". Be prepared to replace a couple of the old clips if they break during removal. The entire interior basically snaps together. There are some pics in some of the stereo install threads (to get to subwoofer). I took mine out to install overhead DVD, XM antenna, and backup camera in the tailgate.

More details on your leak might help as well, and potentially stave off doing some unnecessary work. Pics, details on symptoms of the leak?

I had the same problem with my '04. I searched this forum and found reference to a leaking brake light seal on the top of the rear lift gate. The water can find its way around the light, down the channel along the window sides, and come out along the bottom to soak the cargo carpet. Some owners have pulled the light to replace the seal. I removed the wind deflector, cleaned the light lens and surrounding paint, carefully put a narrow strip of silicone sealer all the way around the outside of the lens, replaced the wind deflector, and presto, no more leak. I think it will last a long time, since there is no stress on that joint and the silicone sealer will stay flexible for many years.

Guderian-Thanks for the reply. Yes I would much appreciate the FSM and will send you my email when I figure out that step. The leak or leaks have developed in the back of the vehicle. The water comes in on the driver side and collects in the very rear corner of the trunck area where the jack is located. I have replaced the weather seal around the large opening and have also removed the roof rack and sealed with silicone around the gasket and bolts holding down the roof rack. Will not be putting roof rack back on so replaced bolts with shorter bolts. Each of these steps were preceded with using the water hose to chase down the source-i thought. Note to self-start low and move up with the hose test. Have now discovered leak in area of lower seal of driver side rear window. Thus the desire to remove the interior panels. Hope this helps and thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom