Removing Fuel Injectors for Service on HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I'm flying down to LA for a business trip and will be close to Torrance where RC Engineering is. Thought it would be a good time to remove the fuel injectors on my 1987 HJ60 with 292k kms and bring it down with me. It doesn't get great gas mileage (I think it was around 15mpg last time I checked) so I thought I would get it serviced to see if it would help.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to remove them (or where it is located to remove), and what all I need to give them in order for them to service it. Help?

TIA.

If you don't know where they are, I may suggest you bring the truck to a diesel shop for the job.

But they are on the top of the engine with a rigid fuel line going to them. A big wrench takes the fuel line off. A large deep metric socket takes them out. Careful that crap doesn't fall in.

Fuel system maintenance while not overly mechanical difficult can present other problems. Like air in the system etc. Read the FSM and decide if you can do this yourself or not.

This is not an oil change. Lots of area for damage. You could twist the fuel line, dent something on a flange, drop crud in the engine, strip b nut threads, induce lots of air requiring lots of purging. Again bleeding the system is a chore.

By no means am I saying you cannot do it. I have no idea your skill level. Just being a cautious fella here.

Read the FSM and look around. You may feel this is easy. I'd say it is a 3 banana job. Oil Change is a one banana job.

Regarding drop in fuel mileage;

Brakes might be dragging

Extra weight in the vehicle

Tire pressure low

Air filiter dirty

Valve set due.

Wheel bearings shot (stretch tho)

Lots of things to check.

Injectors if you have no history are good to do though. IP pump may need timing too.

15 us Gallons per mile isn't too aweful. Down a couple anyhow. I get 10.5 litres per 100k (do the conversion) on the highway and 11.5 or so in town.

Thanks BrownBear.

I was hopin it was a one banana job. Will try to look for a reputable diesel shop since I'm not a wrencher.

I agree with brownbear. Those are good points.

By the way, how do you know a valve set is due?
No mechanic I've ever been to has ever even mentioned it, yet the manual suggests periodic adjustment.

I guess you can't really tell. But performance can be degraded and mileage can go up. Also you could possibly hear a bit of chatter from the valves if they were loose.

From what I have heard they can either get tight or loose.

I would do them if you don't know when they were done. My 3b ones were quite off.

I just wish all Tappets could be adjust cold. It would make life a lot easier and take out the guess work if the engine was still warm enough by the time you get to the last ones.

At least I know my engine well enough to be sure that there's no noticeable difference between hot and cold measurements for me John.

But I have heard people say the opposite to be true for their engines.

Perhaps it depends on how sophisticated/modern your engine is. (So maybe that's just another reason for me to ultra happy with my early B ;))

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom