Remove Ink marks from leather? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody aware of any nifty product that will remove a pretty good sized ink mark from my PS leather seat??

Any furniture store that sells leather will carry an ink remover stick. They work wonders. The 2 year old daughter of a friend of ours wrote all over one of our leather sofas in black ballpoint. We have light beige sofas & the ink remover stick took it completely out. If you can't find one, let me know & I'll be happy to let your borrow mine.

Lexol cleaner did the job when my son use a sharpie on the steering wheel (both leather and plastic). If that doesn't work rubbing alcohol on a q-tip will take up just about any ink but you will need to then condition the leather when it dry out.

As a chemist, I'll chime in here. Remember the phrase "like dissolves like"? Most pen inks are alcohol-based so just use a little rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) and it will work perfectly. It may dry things out a tiny bit (surface only) so treat with leather cream afterwards. You could also use cheap vodka (ethanol), but why waste it?

Last edited:
Hairspray. I'm not kidding. Aerosol hair spray worked perfect for me. I now use it on my very expensive leather couches too. Follow up with leather cleaner and treatment.

Picked that one up from the wifey-poo.

Why would you want to gum up your leather with the other ingredients in hairspray? The active ingredient in all these ink-removal products is a mild organic solvent like alcohol. Save your money and use the pure stuff without paying for and adding perfumes and other ingredients. Isopropanol is cheap, will not harm your leather (water is worse), and works 100% of the time.

willywaxer said:
Isopropanol is cheap, will not harm your leather (water is worse), and works 100% of the time.

I can confirm that. Rubbing alcohol takes off ball point pen ink like magic.

I was truly amazed (after attempting to scrub it out with various upholstery cleaners.)

-Erik

willywaxer said:
Why would you want to gum up your leather with the other ingredients in hairspray? The active ingredient in all these ink-removal products is a mild organic solvent like alcohol. Save your money and use the pure stuff without paying for and adding perfumes and other ingredients. Isopropanol is cheap, will not harm your leather (water is worse), and works 100% of the time.

Because it worked when regular cleaners didn't and I didn't know that it was the Isopropanol that got the ink out?

tiorio said:
Because it worked when regular cleaners didn't and I didn't know that it was the Isopropanol that got the ink out?

Nahh...you just wanted to show the wifey that she was right once again....I know how that goes :D

willywaxer said:
Nahh...you just wanted to show the wifey that she was right once again....I know how that goes :D

If only that were true! I NEVER have to go out of my way to prove her right, she's ALWAYS right! Very annoying...

Rookie2 said:
Anybody aware of any nifty product that will remove a pretty good sized ink mark from my PS leather seat??

Im not an expert at this but base on my experience it will depend on how long the ink has been there and what kind it is. If using alcohol use it sparingly as it has a tendency to dry up leather and eventually cause it to crack. If you are not sure I would consult leather shops if there's one close to you or any leather cleaners might be able to help out.
I personnaly use "Leatherique" for cleaning and conditioning my leather seats and it has done a very good job for me. It was actually recommended by a friend who has an exotic car he regularly drives and competes in shows(elegance).
This product keeps my leather soft and suffle, prevents it from cracking, soiling and stains. I bet if you use this regularly it will also resist future ink stains. Of course there are lots of other products out there but I prefer this one because its natural and does not contains silicone, so you dont have to worry about build up plus my leathers always smell like it's new. Hope that helps!

Leatherique is the cats-a$$ for both the cruiser and my Porsche. It's hands-down the BEST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom