Remanufactured alternator from Rockauto...in pictures. Third times a charm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I figured it would be a good idea to pick up a spare alternator for my 60, so I ordered one from Rock.....a month ago, the saga begins.
After some Mud discussion, it was determined that the 2:00 VR position was to correct alternator. With that information in hand, and a credit card in the other I ordered an ACDelco reman. When it arrived, the VR had a huge crack right down the middle. How that alternator passed the "rigorous testing standards" of ACDelco, I don't know. First alternator shipped back!
Second alternator: Remy brand. On Rock they didn't list 10:00 or 2:00 for the Remy brand. I took a chance, and of course it was a 10:00 alternator...back it went.
Third alternator: Pure Energy 14340. Finally a correct alternator. Nothing cosmetically appears to be problematic, except that the pulley is not correct. Also note in the pictures, the wire that is from the capacitor(at least that's what I think it is) is attached to the terminal where the vehicle goes. On the old alternator and the OEM spare alternator, it went to the post where my finger is pointing to. Should I change the wire position?

Thanks,
Zack

PS: At the moment Rock does not have any alternators for the FJ60, they are all out of stock. They only have the 10:00 VR position alternators, which is not correct for our trucks.

new alt 1.jpg

new alt 2.jpg

new alt 3.jpg

new alt 4.jpg

new alt 5.jpg

Ugh I just went through this last week but for the FJ62.

I was using O'Reilly alternators, as they had a lifetime warranty. Sure they're not very good quality but at least I could swap them out for free forever right?

Wrong.

Turn in my old reman NipponDenso alternator for the core at O'Reilly, get back some noname alternator. Mounting setup is correct but I had the same issue, the capacitor wire was connected to the terminal where the wire to the truck should go. That capacitor wire can be grounded to any post / nut on the alternator casing, and that ground post will then be freed up to attach the truck side wire.

So I mount it all up and run it, worked great for an hour or so, parked the truck and left it. Next morning I go to start it up to go to work; screech and burning rubber belt smell. Damn. The only thing I can think is that the track where the belt sits on the pulley is not machined exactly to spec, and my belts either rode too high on the pulley and were slipping off, or were unable to properly seat on the pulley and would jump off or pull weird on the pulley. I ended up going back to O'Reilly to swap it out, where they promptly shipped me the same exact funky alternator. I said I didn't want that one because it didn't work right, and they said that was all they could order, and I could not get a different brand or type.

So I took that alternator and core'd it for a reman NipponDenso from Toyota. Started up right away and has run trouble free ever since. You may want to try moving that capacitor wire and hooking it up to see how it works for you, but mine did not work well for me at all and I decided to stick with ND, and haven't looked back once. YMMV.

Ugh I just went through this last week but for the FJ62.

I was using O'Reilly alternators, as they had a lifetime warranty. Sure they're not very good quality but at least I could swap them out for free forever right?

Wrong.

Turn in my old reman NipponDenso alternator for the core at O'Reilly, get back some noname alternator. Mounting setup is correct but I had the same issue, the capacitor wire was connected to the terminal where the wire to the truck should go. That capacitor wire can be grounded to any post / nut on the alternator casing, and that ground post will then be freed up to attach the truck side wire.

So I mount it all up and run it, worked great for an hour or so, parked the truck and left it. Next morning I go to start it up to go to work; screech and burning rubber belt smell. Damn. The only thing I can think is that the track where the belt sits on the pulley is not machined exactly to spec, and my belts either rode too high on the pulley and were slipping off, or were unable to properly seat on the pulley and would jump off or pull weird on the pulley. I ended up going back to O'Reilly to swap it out, where they promptly shipped me the same exact funky alternator. I said I didn't want that one because it didn't work right, and they said that was all they could order, and I could not get a different brand or type.

So I took that alternator and core'd it for a reman NipponDenso from Toyota. Started up right away and has run trouble free ever since. You may want to try moving that capacitor wire and hooking it up to see how it works for you, but mine did not work well for me at all and I decided to stick with ND, and haven't looked back once. YMMV.

Well a new or remaned ND is no longer available for the 60, so that option is out. I was going to simply have my old alternator rebuilt at a local starter/alternator shop that does excellent work, but the case is damaged on my old alternator. At some point in the past someone inserted a nut and bolt into the top mounting ear and destroyed the threads in the ear. I know that it can be re threaded, but then the stock bolt will not work. So at this point even if the "new" Rock alternator is not good, at least I have a good rebuild able core, and it was not that expensive.

Zack

I think most remans have taken a dump in quality.

Last weekend, I needed to replace the starter on my 16 year old F150. I'll be smart, I thought, and just go to the Ford Dealer and pay 3x what an aftermarket costs, but hey I'll get a good one and it'll last. Right.

Late Saturday, and at the counter, open the Motorcraft box, and friggin' starter isn't even a Ford logo reman, it's an ITM !! and it looks like its been beat to hell.... I start arguing with the asshat at the counter on how can they sell a Chinese reman that costs $50 new for $150 as a reman. The guys says they're reman'd in Detroit. Box say, 'Thailand'. Fawkhead.

But I'm stuck, the starter is out. I need the truck by Monday, I don't wanna run around town looking for a different or online buy and have to do the $75 core-charge dance, so I just buy it. It works, but sounds funny. Oh, well, hope it lasts for a while...

From now on I just take my old cores and have them done locally.

I feel there are two good choices when you need an alternator:

1) Upgrade to a different type such a Leece, Delco, etc. This typically involves some modding of brackets, wiring, etc.
2) Take your alternator into a local electric motor / alternator shop for a rebuild. Unless your local shop is crap, they will do a much higher quality rebuild than anyone else.

JMHO

Thanks for the info on Ford starters - I had to buy a 7.3 Powerstroke starter from a dealer, while on vacation, and got reamed $400, but at least it was a Ford-reman and has worked well. I would be very disappointed if it was a junky offshore reman., as it might now be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom