Recovery gear for mowers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I was looking for recommendations on recovery gear for Turf mowers and equipment at my work. The smaller mowers weigh about 1000lbs and the larger ones weigh just under 5k. I know one size does not fit all in this case.

Most of the time what happens is they get hung up and loose traction or slide into a sand bunker. Normally a large pull does not happen but is always a possibility. Also there is break downs and they will have to be towed back to the shop. Most times when that happens they can be put in neutral for towing. Some of the turf vehicles do have rear tow hitches, (1 1/4 size) others would have to be looped around a frame structure for pulling.

It would be handy to have a short recovery strap as well if a quality one exists. Possibly 10' or so? I do not like using the cheap straps that we have due to safety reasons.

Thanks for any input.
Sean

How about either getting either small Amsteel rope, like ATV class gear?

I have 3 Warn winches from a cute little M1000 (really - on a YFZ450 quad, tiny & lite), a Provantage 2000-2500# (forget), and a Provantage ~4500#

I have the factor 55 link for the 4500#, a few Bubbalink ATV soft links, and a single snatch to either change direction or single compound.

-Or to keep it simple, just buy a few steel clevis’ & run a log choker / bell & lug on 1 end & a crimped loop on the other. Will last forever, no worries with the bell/lug end having to find a fixed tow eye.

If you want to get fancy, a 2nd steel rope w/ eyes both ends & those same 2 clevis’ / for equipment you have an eye facing the recover direction.

At least out here, all the local logging supply shops / Stihl saw dealers make to order the steel rope configuration you want. Really inexpensive.

You don’t mention a budget, but unless you’re working a Bethpage/TPC - class course, most are on tighter margins, esp w/ C19.

2 steel rope straps/ prob could use a log choker anyhow, a few clevis’ & that could get you done on the cheap.

To keep your machines from getting stuck, get better operators. Seriously.

As far as recovery gear, i use chain or nylon strap. I don't know if I would use syn rope due to sand contamination.
Best bet is good nylon tugs and bow shackles. I had to use my 8274 to unbury our rough mower once.
I recommend you get good at field repair because towing hydrostat machines sucks. ;)

^^^ Why I stopped after 1st sentence w/ synth rope - typical / multiple users just use up nylon straps / synth line.

Totally agree - wire rope for that kind of use.

We used to monthly inspect nylon straps, employees took home useable but not primo condition stuff - but refineries have a bigger $$$ flr expected wear items, and we still had wire rope bridles off the crane to terminal gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom