Recommends coolant for BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I took my rig to the mechanic for a radiator maintenance and I’m not sure if they poured the requieres coolant. After that, the car is overheating and I’m guessing that is something related with the coolant level and probably the brand they use it (probably the cheapest one)

- Does anyone could recommend a coolant brand/type for my BJ74?
- What’s 13BT coolant capacity?
- Is there any especial procedure while draining the current coolant in the system?

Thanks!

Changing coolant wont affect the engine cooling much. You most likely have a blocked radiator. You need a engine manual to open up the drain points and refill . Its a simple job.
The first thing to check is the radiator pressure when hot. If the hoses are still soft , you have a leak somewhere and unpressurized coolant boils at a lower temperature.

Ive always used toyota red

You Probabaly have an air bubble. The 13bt setup is a bit goofy. You can burp the system on your own to see.
Was this a drain and refill or a flush?

If flush it’s possible something got free and is blocking now.

also more than likely an air bubble. You can work that bubble out or take it back to them. To fill the 13bt I find it easier to take the upper radiator hose off and fill away and slowly burping as you go. After that you can park the truck, idle it to start getting the heat up with radiator cap off. It should push air out if there Is any.

as for coolant, as long as it’s a good quality and 50/50 mix you shouldn’t have issues or need special kinds. They didn’t have special kinds for these in the 80s.

you may have dislodged a clot in the oil cooler. Is there any rusty colored material under radiator cap or if you drain some coolant?

If so, you can conduct a oxalic acid baking soda wash. It may have jacked your radiator.

You Probabaly have an air bubble. The 13bt setup is a bit goofy. You can burp the system on your own to see.

also more than likely an air bubble. You can work that bubble out or take it back to them. To fill the 13bt I find it easier to take the upper radiator hose off and fill away and slowly burping as you go. After that you can park the truck, idle it to start getting the heat up with radiator cap off. It should push air out if there Is any.

as for coolant, as long as it’s a good quality and 50/50 mix you shouldn’t have issues or need special kinds. They didn’t have special kinds for these in the 80s.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll follow your observations!

Does the bj74 take green or red coolant?

Does the bj74 take green or red coolant?

I run green. Toyota Red wasn’t around when the bj74 was made. Red coolant came around in 99.

A good quality coolant, green red or otherwise should work fine. Just change it periodically and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom