Rebuild 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to rebuild my 1986 fj60 engine it has a 2f and I'm having issues finding where to get parts or kits I have a bad connecting rod and crankshaft due to a bearing going out pictures below this is after 4 hours of trying to polish the crankshaft. And I just want to do a full rebuild because it has 260000 miles on it where can I get parts?
1895.jpeg
20220211_164939.jpg

I'd have the crank turned and go with an oversized bearing. A machine shoo should be able to help with the work and finding bearings.
Rockauto.com has most of the rebuild parts at decent prices, including gasket kits.
I'd get the machine shop to hot tank and bore/hone the block, and have the head checked for cracks, resurfaced, and rebuilt. I had my machine shop shave a few thousandths off my head to increase the compression a bit, which seems to have improved torque a bit over stock.

Agree. Find a reputable machine shop. Just had the head rebuilt, engine bored, crank ground and polished (PO ran without oil and a rod came apart. Crank was bent and shop was able to straighten). They also can get full kits so they can fit bearings press rod pins and check ring gap after boring otherwise there might be fitment issues with your own kit and most of the time they can get better pricing. Cost was just over $1,400 and I had another shop balance it for $200 (I just always do because...).
My teenage son and I put everything together. Wanted him to spend some time on the torque wrench and not on his phone...

Last edited:
You guys impressed with the rock auto parts? They seem pretty inexpensive and it’s nice having most of them all in one place.

Rock auto is good for some things. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them and I’ve always been pretty happy. I rebuilt my entire brake system with stuff from Rockauto.

If you’re doing a rebuild for an engine I would stick to Toyota parts as much as possible. I’ve learned, and so have many others, that aftermarket gaskets and seals etc are often inadequate in comparison to the OEM Toyota versions. That is not true across the board, however. I will be rebuilding my engine in the future as well and as much as possible I’ll be using OEM stuff. If I have anyone do any work it will be a Toyota land cruiser mechanic and I’ll let them source the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom