“Reasonable” Paint and Body shops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend paint/body shops in the greater Bham area for a 40 series?

I’m close to getting started working on mine, and the PO sandblasted all the metal without immediately protecting it. It sits in the garage currently and so my conundrum is do I work on all the mechanical issues first and then have it painted? Or do I have it painted then work on the mechanical?

If I could find a shop that I could drop off the body parts for them to paint, while I work on the mechanical, that seems ideal?

Anybody ran into this debate? What did you do?

I know you get what you pay for, and paint/body is no exception. With that said, I don’t believe my 72’ 40 will be a show queen, therefore I cant justify paying 10K plus for paint, but I’d rather have more than a $500 Maaco job.
9E474F99-871B-4506-8397-17C22B2BE0DF.jpeg
AEB75A81-53BC-4BE7-BA13-2DA847F48299.jpeg

Last edited:
Highly recommend "Irondale Collision Center". Bobby is the owner and has been there for quite a while. Always found him fair and honest and does excellent work. You might go by and talk to him. He's done work on my 80 and others.

Highly recommend "Irondale Collision Center". Bobby is the owner and has been there for quite a while. Always found him fair and honest and does excellent work. You might go by and talk to him. He's done work on my 80 and others.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’m gonna check into it.

It’s been 5-6 years but I remember asking some of the guys from Huntsville. I think they had a hot rod type shop they were happy with. I think it was between Huntsville and bham.
It might be worth asking the club up there also.

I spent a year chasing painters down here and having them cancel on me etc. it can really take the momentum out of a project.
I wish you luck and look forward to seeing your finished project

Last edited:
I've used two in the last... forever. Usually, though, it's not my projects getting paint, it's a daily driver insurance thing.

Lacey Paint and Body up in Mt Olive- they did a tough paint match/ blend on a metallic orange car I had years back. Quick and simple insurance claim stuff, but they did a good job. More an insurance claim kind of shop. (205) 631-8481

B&B Customs in Hayden/ Warrior - again, insurance stuff, but they did a really good job on it and it blended/ matched up great. Longer story here, but this one is a hot rod shop that does insurance stuff to keep the bills paid. I've seen a few cool old rides they've done and they did good for me. (205) 590-1711