Rear wiring harness connectors under 94LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my 94LC since Jan ’05 and the lights on the Kaymar rear bumper have never worked.. I assume they were cut or not hooked up properly. But after looking under the rear for wiring problems I found about 4-5 connectors that have nothing plugged in. I’ve looked in the EWD and either can’t find them .. or not looking in the right place. At the moment there is also a 6-prong cannon plug for a trailer (which I do get some sorta signal from each prong) but as I don’t plan on pulling a trailer I was wondering if I could plug the kaymar lights into the trailer wiring harness. The trailer adapter has 4 wires coming from it and I believe it is a dealer installed device (tucked into rear pass. side quarter panel) I know others have tapped into the regular wiring and had success while others found the flasher needing to be upgraded when you also have the front ARB lights. If I plug the bumper lights into the trailer converter (when not using a trailer, which will be most times) will I still have this problem with needing to upgrade the flasher? The benefit is then I could unplug the bumper lights and then hook the harness to a trailer incase I do have to pull one. Also, is it better to have the standard 4-wire plug for a trailer or this 6-wire one (which is more common)? The only time I’ve towed anything was a medium size boat for a friend and it had a 4wire plug (that was with my 88-4runner).

I’m thinking of cutting the wires to the bumper lights and the trailer converter, but I’d like to find out what are all these plugs under the rear end that have nothing plugged into them are for. I have circled each plug in the pictures below in a different color for easy reference. This first picture is all the plugs looking from under the rear with the spare tire removed:
rear_wiring.jpg

The purple circle are the wires that have been cut and shrink wrapped, so I’m thinking that’s why the bumper lights don’t work, but the wires seem to integrate with a stock looking wire loom.

This next picture is a close up of the plugs that are closest to the ground point for the rear of the LC:
rear-ground.jpg

Last picture is of the far passenger side plug along with the 4-wires coming from the trailer converter. And an additional connection that was hard to see in the very first photo (circled in orange)
other-wires.jpg

Any help with these plugs and what should and shouldn’t be used for wiring the bumper lights would be a great help. And if you could direct me to the pages in the EWD or FSM, I have downloaded both from the toyota tech site.
Thanks -Gary

Last edited:
anyone?

Section G page 36 of the EWD will tell you all of the connectors.

On the electronic version from Toyota, the file you need is called connecto.pdf

From there you can go to the wiring diagramns and decipher the exact pinouts.

You can easily splice your kaymar wires into a trailer connector. The pinouts on a trailer connector are well known. You can purchase the male plugs that will mate with the RV plug you have alread installed from a RV dealer or auto parts store (and sometimes even big mega stores like walmart).

Charlie

OK... must be some odd PO's that had this.. or whoever wired it up... Because everything is there to just plug it together, but the plugs just don't reach because the way the wired up the ground. (Pictures posted above) In the 2nd picture down, all the white plugs connect to all the plugs in the 3rd picture down.
1) Connect Green circled plug into White circled plug
2) Seperate Orange circled plug and connect Blue and Yellow circled plugs into the correct ones (only can fit 1 way)
3) You can see in the 2nd picture 3 (dirty) white wires (ground) connected to the rear grounding point.

I had to seperate the harness and split the rubber sheathing to give more slack for the white connectors to get over to the black ones. After connecting them all everything worked like a charm for the rear bumper lights, except for 1 bulb which had seperated from its base (park light bulb) and the other was also seperating but still worked.
I didn't try messing with the trailer wiring yet, because I haven't looked up the pinout on a 6 pin plug style, but I found 2 wires running all the way to the front for + and - of the batt. So my guess is the 4 wires from the trailer converter and +/- from batt. should be going to it.

The cut wires are actually extras tapped into the connectors. I guess if you wanted to connect a trailer harness from there you could, thats all I could figure.

Also, I didn't really find out what the red circled plug is, espically since I got the bumper lights working :)

Last edited:
gbell210 said:
OK...Also, I didn't really find out what the red circled plug is, espically since I got the bumper lights working :)

Aux Fuel Tank Sender Unit...

-Dog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom