Rear wheel caught a pole...what is bent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of those days where a series of events leads to bad things. Here in Japan there are some really narrow roads and there is this one local intersection that is like a pinch, and turns on to a main road at a terrible angle. Apparently, the city decided to add some concrete reinforced steel poles right on the white lines of the corners. Just at the right height where we can't see them when turning. I have made the turn a few times since they went in but today there was a car (broken down?) on the opposite side of the intersection and opposing traffic was steering around it and into me so I had to make my left turn tighter than usual. (remember, poles aren't visible at that point) Left rear tire caught the pole, and bounced the truck. Now I have toe out on the left side while the right side is straight. I limped it back home and didn't see the wobble of a bent wheel but it did shimmy a couple times.

Any ideas what bent?

PXL_20230202_071024010.jpg

PXL_20230202_072454543.jpg

PXL_20230202_073736762.jpg

PXL_20230202_073744845.jpg

If my description sucked, here are pics of the intersection. Drive recorder position makes the poles look more visible than they are but you get the idea of how narrow this mess is.

03approach.jpg

04approach.jpg

05approach.jpg

06approach.jpg

07impact.jpg

So the wheel on the other side is still perfectly centered?

Edit: I see that it is

Damn that sucks! Can you take a picture showing the entire axle from the rear? To me it looks like the axle could be shifted slightly to the left but I would guess that most of it is the axle tube being pretty severely bent starting somewhere near the panhard mount. Its hard to tell without measuring. A bent axle is a better case than bending or cracking any of the link/panhard mounts to the frame though. I would get it checked out by a collision shop who will know how to measure and tell you for sure. Toyota axles are quite a bit thinner compared to the Dana axles in jeeps of the same era and even Dana 60s will bend if you wheel them hard enough. Hoping its just your axle.

The 1st picture and 3rd picture if your 2nd post really show that axle tube is bent and starts from the panhard bar mount as stated above.

Smash it into someone going backwards and it'll be fine. :lol:

Not uncommon the rear axle housing get bent. Get a replacement from 150 series. In US they are same gear ratio. Not sure in Japan.

Filed marriage paperwork in the morning, flatbed picked up the truck afterwards. I hope it's not an omen!

In the last pic I posted, the bump stop is definitely not in alignment with the axle housing so the housing being bent makes sense. I couldn't find anything else bent.

Not uncommon the rear axle housing get bent. Get a replacement from 150 series. In US they are same gear ratio. Not sure in Japan.

This bolts right up? Is there any advantage to this? (they might be more readily available than the 120 series) I have the 1GRFE in mine but the 4 bangers are the most common Prados of either series.

Last edited:
Filed marriage paperwork in the morning, flatbed picked up the truck afterwards. I hope it's not an omen!

In the last pic I posted, the bump stop is definitely not in alignment with the axle housing so the housing being bent makes sense. I couldn't find anything else bent.

This bolts right up? Is there any advantage to this? (they might be more readily available than the 120 series) I have the 1GRFE in mine but the 4 bangers are the most common Prados of either series.

Yes an 8.2 will bolt right in (or a KDSS axle will bolt right in if your truck has KDSS) just make sure the gear ratios are the same which I believe most of them are. You can also pay a few hundred dollars more and get an 8.2 elocked axle.

The only difference is the rear rotor hub diameter. It changed a bit. You need to keep the 150 series rear rotor. Brakes are the same too.

GXOR page doesn't have a 150Prado listing but seems to indicate an FJ replacement may be even more ideal?

mods:axles [GX Offroad] - https://lexusgxor.com/mods:axles
  • 2010 or later FJ 8.2“ rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on without KDSS
  • 2010 or later 4Runner 8.2” rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on with or without KDSS, depending on 4Runner trim (Trail Premium w/KDSS will bolt on to a GX470 w/KDSS)
  • 2010 or later GX460 8.2“ rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff), will only fit KDSS GX470's or will require rear sway bar removal or bracket fabrication. Swapping to a GX460 rear axle will also require re-gearing to match factory 3.73, or regearing the front to match 3.91 (doable by replacing the front diff with a ~$100 junkyard GX460 unit)

Ordered new brembo rear rotors, still waiting on a 150 Prado 8.2" housing. Toyota inventory here is simply terrible. Japanese public trans is good but it still sucks not having wheels.

Yes, you’ll need a 150 diff of the right ratio, and 150 rotors. I think the rest will swap over. Might need the 150 hard brake lines, unsure if they’re the same.

Yes, you’ll need a 150 diff of the right ratio, and 150 rotors. I think the rest will swap over. Might need the 150 hard brake lines, unsure if they’re the same.
ooff, was thinking the old diff would work. Probably going to end up with a new oem diff 🤑 Rotors are secured. ill have them check the brake lines.

I think the FJs are the same as my Prado due to the same engine. The 150s have all kinds of engines and transmissions so probably more variables in play. I'm just happy I know one exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom