Rear tailgate storage solution on $100 budget.. my FAQ attempt #4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool!!! I found me a new project!

So what gear do you store in there. I want to see moar pics!!!

I realize there are plenty that don't like the solid metal solutions

I like the idea of metal. This is one area I don't care about weight savings as the tailgate supports a lot of weight while loading/unloading and using it as seating.

Thinking outloud here. If I go with 2fpower's route, I'd probably remove all the carpet/trim and skin the tailgate with some thin gauge sheet metal, like 10~11ga? Then add these marine doors. I'm sure that would help strengthen the whole thing.

I like the idea of metal. This is one area I don't care about weight savings as the tailgate supports a lot of weight while loading/unloading and using it as seating.

Thinking outloud here. If I go with 2fpower's route, I'd probably remove all the carpet/trim and skin the tailgate with some thin gauge sheet metal, like 10~11ga? Then add these marine doors. I'm sure that would help strengthen the whole thing.

I like where you are going.... maybe some diamond plate aluminum. Easy, light, and never rusts.

With mine full of gear, I am amazed with how much heavier it is. I don't want to add to much more weight.

I just sat on the tailgate and feel no difference before the doors; however, I have 6" of more material than YOUR tailgate with my truck tailgate mod.

I like it, BUT, would like to find a boat hatch just like the one you show here but that is flush mount? it would be nice to still be able to sit on the tailgate without the plastic "hump" being there. I am guessing there has to be a flush mount recessed type of boat hatch? I already have an aluminum plate that is cut out to the rear 80 tailgate so 2 of these hatches wold work perfect if I could find something in aluminum that is flush mounted?

any ideas where to look?

Bought this a few months ago 30 x 13 but decided the build my own... a great solution and priced right

Here's the best link I found to get these

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product-by-brand/?f=1055&page=2&limit=50

image-jpg.893146

image-jpg.893147

I guess you gain some clearance with the boat hatch but probably only 1/2".
As for strength I am not at all worried about where I kneel or step and I had to cut out a support for my hatch. I think 13" is the magic number for width to retain the interor braces. Had I not cut a brace I would have installed a second hatch.

I like it, BUT, would like to find a boat hatch just like the one you show here but that is flush mount? it would be nice to still be able to sit on the tailgate without the plastic "hump" being there. I am guessing there has to be a flush mount recessed type of boat hatch? I already have an aluminum plate that is cut out to the rear 80 tailgate so 2 of these hatches wold work perfect if I could find something in aluminum that is flush mounted?

any ideas where to look?

This one is only !/2 and Bluetribal is giving good advise regarding size..if you cut a big hole in your tailgate you have zero support from below..
Ask me how I know

Love it, great find guys. Luke I dig the one you found... damn it more $$$ to spend. Thanks... the wife loves this forum. NOT

For those that believe there isn't much storage space in the tailgate, here is what mine currently holds (in other words a LOT):
- crowbar
- SC wrench
- ALL spare hoses and clamps
- Heavy Duty tire repair kit
- ALL spare belts (inc. SC)
- Bailing wire
- Gerber axe
- Air chucks/tools
- ARB air gauge/chuck
- SOG shovel
- Benchmade fixed blade knife
- Jumper cables, my huge set
- 1/2" breaker bar
- 3/8" torque wrench
- 4 ratchet straps
- 2 bungee cords
- Air hose
attachment.php
attachment.php

I like where you are going.... maybe some diamond plate aluminum. Easy, light, and never rusts.

Have you ever kneeled on diamond plate?

I used a 1/4 inch sheet of 6061 smooth stock when I did mine ~12 years ago.

I like all these solutions. Seems some of the smaller doors would be great for the side panel access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom