Rear Seatbelts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfc

Threads
Which cruiser modles and what years did they start having the shoulder strap in the rear?

The :princess: talked to ICBC about the :bounce: and he's got to be in a booster seat for a while :rolleyes: and he needs (iguess by law) a shoulder belt, which is ok as he can sit in the front and one of us will sit in the back, but if we have another :bounce:, Johnny will have to learn to drive quick....ICBC's answer was to get a newer car,...... so i say newer cruiser,

would a 62 work?

I know someone who has an HJ61 for sale which likely has rear shoulder straps.

If that doesn't work for you, I talked to a guy at Cruiser days who said he got a should trap kit for the rear seats from Slee Off-Road. I don't see it on their web site but maybe it just isn't listed.

You can get still get an 80 series for near the price of a 62. Post 93 models are a bit more $ but from what I have read it is worth it.

ICBC can ram their heads somewhere with comments like that
we've installed rear seat belts in Prados, 81's etc and 60 wagons are the easiest

call or email me and I'll find some pics and give you some details

If that doesn't work for you, I talked to a guy at Cruiser days who said he got a should trap kit for the rear seats from Slee Off-Road. I don't see it on their web site but maybe it just isn't listed.

You can get still get an 80 series for near the price of a 62. Post 93 models are a bit more $ but from what I have read it is worth it.

lap belts:)

Ya I thought of the 61, but the :princess: wont do RHD and I dont blame I woud't want to either, I thought about 80's too but there just not old skool :cool:

I'll have to look into the kit, thanks john

ICBC can ram their heads somewhere with comments like that
we've installed rear seat belts in Prados, 81's etc and 60 wagons are the easiest

call or email me and I'll find some pics and give you some details

look like I type slow

I'll pm ya, I don't think I got you email, some pics would be good

the :princess: was talking about a tether strap attachment as well?? no idea what whe's talking about

62 has cargo hooks in the rear that can be used for tethers thats what we used when the kids were in kiddie seats awe that was so long ago.
Now they both drive thats why I have so many Cruisers its great.:steer:

does the 62 have shoulder belts?

hmmm, are all 62's auto, didn't we get HJ's up here

Just as an FYI, if the kids are old enough to use a booster, you can just strap them into the stock lap belts. ICBC, nor the Government, can force you to install shoulder belts where none existed. I could dig you the exact letter of the law, this was discussed at length on BC4X4. If your kids are little and still need to be in a rear facing carseat, put him/her in the front seat. The danger of kids in front seats is airbags, not much of a concern for us 60 series owners. Both my kids ride in the back using lap belts. It states right on the boosters that they cannot be used with lap belts only. My '88 FJ62 never came with rear shoulder belts. Jim, I say come up with your own idea, when the kids were small and they still needed a car seat (forward facing 4 or 5 point) I used ratchet straps attached to hooks I drilled into the floor to hold the seat in. Those seats were not coming out, I always joked with my wife that if we ever rolled, we'd be upside down, sliding around in our shoulder belts, but the kids would firmly strapped to the LC, hanging upside down in there seats, being supported by their 5 point harness.

hmmm, are all 62's auto, didn't we get HJ's up here

All 62's are auto's, HJ's came with either a stick or auto. HJ's never came with rear shoulder harnesses.

Oh ya, one more thing, you need to use the goofy H shaped adapter when using LC shoulder belts. The the ratchets don't grab quick enough, and slack in the belt is bad.

thanks phil, i think Ill do some drilling ;)

the pillar may already have the tapped hole for the upper shoulder strap
mine is a 1988 FJ62 and the hole is there. The lower portion/cut outs should be there as well

I scored a nice set of sidekick(??) rear belts that should fit great. The big bonus is that the make end of the blet will also click into the Cruiser female portion of the belt. Bad part is, the new belts are some where in the shop in a safe place. Now I just need to figure out where I put them
rear belt.JPG

So, have I been braking the law by putting my kids in the back of my 40 with lap-belts only?

I agree with Phil, if your vehicle is registered in BC, then the law must accept it as-is. Granted, we should make our kids as safe as possible, hence why I'm looking for a wagon with forward facing rear seats (the one I dragged home this week was actually for a buddy of mine). When my kids were small enough, their heads didn't hit the roll bar, now that's a problem with them growin'!

So, have I been braking the law by putting my kids in the back of my 40 with lap-belts only?

No, if your vehicle didn't come with shoulder restraints then your OK. 85% of the population would be clueless as to how to properly install restraints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom