Rear seat audio system doesn't work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI All- I recently purchased a Land Cruiser 2004 that needs some work to bring to life again. I am struggling to get the Rear Seat Audio or RSA to work. I was checking the 6 changer CD/DVD in the center console and found that it is not working as well. I pulled the 6 cd changer from the center console and found there were a few coins that may have caused some shortening. The question is the RSA part of the cd changers, meaning if the cd changer isn't working so does the RSA? I have checked the maintenance manual of the land cruiser and found the below information;

RSA panel works as a master unit in the Sub AVC-LAN, but not in the Main AVC-LAN. <=====I don't understand the meaning

1637904549903.png

I did some wiring check to the RSA and everything seems to be correct. I have also noticed the DVD entertainment in rear seat is an aftermarket with separate DVD, could cause this issue?

Example of the RSA like the on in my car as below;

img_3654-jpg.1517485

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you very much jerryb for sharing these info. I have read it but it is a bit hard to understand to be honest :confused:

1637946604902.png

1637946707326.png

I would appreciate your help if you could explain it

I'd delete any port installed stuff. Seems like all the 2007 had garbage installs of in headrest screens, drop down dvds and stuff. Anything not in that 2004 EWD I'd ditch.
See if that changes anything.

All the components talk to each other. They are daisy changed together where if one item is missing then it can affect the rest depending on the order of it.

The screen is the master and there are a couple trees of items that connect to it. If one of the items is lost in the middle then the rest after the break are lost.
Like a light strand that looses a bulb and the rest fail as a result.

ALso I cannot say there is a LAN page in that pdf. I'm going on the 2006-7 books. I know they're similar.
You may need to remove the center console and the passenger seat to really get after it if there isn't an easy fix.
a pic from the 2006-7 book

PXL_20211126_181328092.jpg

RSA panel works as a master unit in the Sub AVC-LAN, but not in the Main AVC-LAN. <=====I don't understand the meaning
Control signals are sent between the units over a serial interface (LAN). Each LAN has a master unit and one or more slave units, and the master is responsible for coordinating communication on the LAN so that you don’t have units trying to talk at the same time. Your picture shows that there are two LANs, and the RSA is on both of them. The amp, receiver, and RSA are on the main LAN and the receiver is the master on this LAN. The RSA and DVD are on the sub LAN and the RSA is the master on this LAN.

The important thing to notice is that the receiver can’t talk directly to the DVD, since they’re not on the same LAN. The receiver can only control the DVD by talking to the RSA and then having the RSA talk to the DVD. So if both the RSA and DVD aren’t working you should start by looking at the RSA.

Control signals are sent between the units over a serial interface (LAN). Each LAN has a master unit and one or more slave units, and the master is responsible for coordinating communication on the LAN so that you don’t have units trying to talk at the same time. Your picture shows that there are two LANs, and the RSA is on both of them. The amp, receiver, and RSA are on the main LAN and the receiver is the master on this LAN. The RSA and DVD are on the sub LAN and the RSA is the master on this LAN.

The important thing to notice is that the receiver can’t talk directly to the DVD, since they’re not on the same LAN. The receiver can only control the DVD by talking to the RSA and then having the RSA talk to the DVD. So if both the RSA and DVD aren’t working you should start by looking at the RSA.
Thank you very much for your reply! Nice interpretation to the picture. So, I am sure that the RSA unit work because I bought another RSA from a junk yard and replaced with my RSA and doesn't work either. So, I am thinking since the CD changer isn't working could be reason as the RSA talks to the DVD. I am wondering if there is away to short the cd changer such that it would make the RSA without even plugging the cd changer. Thanks again for the help

strictly speaking of the 2006-7, and maybe the rest, if you remove the topmost machines from the network the rest downline work fine.
for instance, remove the nav ecu and the back up cam ecu still works normally. On the transmission lines they are looking for 60-80 ohms.
there's something else going on though. I think

I am still having the same issue even after buying another cd changer that now ejects when installing it. Now, my 2004 LC It is driving my banana furthermore :bang:. What I can summarize so far are as follows;
1. The Navigation system works.
2. The back camera works.
3. The radio works.
4. The overhead second seat DVD player works as well.
5. The cd changer ejects the magazine but when I put back and hit the disc button, it prompts with a message "The external system is not connected", which is a bit weird see the picture below.
6. The RSA doesn't work even after replacing it with another RSA that was tested in another car.
7. I have checked thoroughly all the fuses and they are all fine.
8. I disconnected the battery for an hour but again the RSA doesn't work same with the cd changer, "The external system is not connected".

When I first bought the car from the auction, the battery was dead.

1638419147604.png

What can I do next?

I'd delete any port installed stuff. Seems like all the 2007 had garbage installs of in headrest screens, drop down dvds and stuff. Anything not in that 2004 EWD I'd ditch.
See if that changes anything.

All the components talk to each other. They are daisy changed together where if one item is missing then it can affect the rest depending on the order of it.

The screen is the master and there are a couple trees of items that connect to it. If one of the items is lost in the middle then the rest after the break are lost.
Like a light strand that looses a bulb and the rest fail as a result.

ALso I cannot say there is a LAN page in that pdf. I'm going on the 2006-7 books. I know they're similar.
You may need to remove the center console and the passenger seat to really get after it if there isn't an easy fix.
a pic from the 2006-7 book

View attachment 2848695
Where would be the Bluetooth device located in the system? I think that my problem with RSA not getting the signal and that's why the DVD changer isn't talking to the MFD. In other word, can I remove the RSA and connected back directly to the RSA as a test to the wiring?

Where would be the Bluetooth device located in the system? I think that my problem with RSA not getting the signal and that's why the DVD changer isn't talking to the MFD. In other word, can I remove the RSA and connected back directly to the RSA as a test to the wiring?

Are you talking about the OE BlueTooth for voice calls, or an aftermarket add-on that allows streaming BlueTooth audio?

Are you talking about the OE BlueTooth for voice calls, or an aftermarket add-on that allows streaming BlueTooth audio?
I am talking about the OE Bluetooth for voice calls? The fact that having the Rear Seat Audio system seems to be odd. I was thinking about the 60PIN fix but I don't think my issue with the 60PIN, I just want to do a test of the RSA in case of removing the Bluetooth device or is it an MFD built in?

I have no Idea on the factory BlueTooth location.

I’ve had a few of the aftermarket BlueTooth streaming boxes. Most seem to emulate a CD/MD/DVD changer. The ones that I’ve dealt with, plugged into the back of the MFD with a “Y” cable, and kept the CD/DVD changer operational, but I have read reports of different brands “replacing” the factory installed changer. I also think I recall reports of disconnecting the factory changer or RSA affecting each other. It might be worth looking for an aftermarket box in and around the center stack, center console, and glovebox areas.

I have to ask, why the obsession with RSA? I’ve had it in multiple vehicles so far, and don’t think I’ve used it more than just playing with it when the vehicles were new.

Last edited:
I have no Idea on the factory BlueTooth location.

I’ve had a few of the aftermarket BlueTooth streaming boxes. Most seem to emulate a CD/MD/DVD changer. The ones that I’ve dealt with, plugged into the back of the MFD with a “Y” cable, and kept the CD/DVD changer operational, but I have read reports of different brands “replacing” the factory installed changer. I also think I recall reports of disconnecting the factory changer or RSA affecting each other. It might be worth looking for an aftermarket box in and around the center stack, center console, and glovebox areas.

I have to ask, why the obsession with RSA? I’ve had it in multiple vehicles so far, and don’t think I’ve used it more than just playing with it when the vehicles were new.
Thank you very much for your reply and guidance. I liked the word "obsession", as I may have sounded like I was obsessed ;). As you said, if the RSA doesn't work so does the DVD changer, therefore I have to figure out why it isn't working to make the DVD changer work as I am planning to buy an aftermarket Bluetooth to make it act like the changer. I feel that I have to resolve this issue unless you have a better suggestion. Thanks again!

Thank you very much for your reply and guidance. I liked the word "obsession", as I may have sounded like I was obsessed ;). As you said, if the RSA doesn't work so does the DVD changer, therefore I have to figure out why it isn't working to make the DVD changer work as I am planning to buy an aftermarket Bluetooth to make it act like the changer. I feel that I have to resolve this issue unless you have a better suggestion. Thanks again!

Both the Grom VLine & Vais SLB3, that I’ve used in my 06 LX470 plug into the back of the MFD, and don’t seem to pass through the changer or RSA. You may not need to “fight this battle” unless you have a burning need for the changer or RSA.

Again.
Take it all apart and remove anything not listed in you years wiring book.
At least look at the back of the radio and follow the stuff that doesn't belong and remove it. Then start over.
No one here can fix your aftermarket or port installed items and whatever confusion they brought with them.

Reactions: jLB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom