Rear Roar / Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
More than likely I'm going to have to end up taking the 4 runner into the shop on this one as I suspect it is a bit out of my league, but anyways...The 4 runner (150K miles) has increasingly begun to have a roar / vibration from the rear end. It seems like it is producing a vibration right under the rear seat / passenger feet area in the back. I'm betting it is a bearing of some sort that has gone bad, but wondering if this is an easy fix / a common issue.

Like I said, more than likely I'll end up taking it somewhere, but I was curious to know if this was something very common that was one of those "oh the famous rear vibration...do this" type of items.

Any thoughts or I'm I on a wild goose chase trying to describe this on the forum? If so I'll probably just take it in somewhere local.

Regardless...this weekend I'll be replacing those annoying fog lights that go out from time to time. Always a pain in my opinion just cause it is tight in there.

I had to change a rear wheel bearing on mine a few months ago. It's a bit of a job but if you have a press and an old axle housing and a welder to make the tool needed to press the axle out you can do it at home. I lopped off the last foot or so of an old toyota axle housing and welded ears on it to hold it in the press. I think I spent almost as much time making the tool as I did doing the job. The one thing that really sucks about this job is there is an ABS pulse ring and 2 spacer rings pressed onto the axle shaft inwards of the bearing. Toyota says you have to cut them off and that's how I did it. But they are like $75 for the 3. I spent more on those than I did on the bearing and both seals.

No update. I need to drive it to make sure I answer the under coast question. My wife drives it most of the time.

I think I may just end up taking it to a local shop to get it fixed. It may be out of my level and I'm more familiar with the older FJ maintenance.

Not sure what they will cost in your local area but I have a Fluke temperature gun...point and shoot with a little red lazer....
if I think I have a driveline bearing going I take it for a spin and then get under it and shoot to see if anything is too hot.
A fairly easy way to identify a failing bearing, u-joint etc. With CAUTION you can also use your hand....
Raytek makes one as well....
or at work we will just use an infra red camera like a Flir to identify a failing bearing, a leaking valve, a poor electrical connection etc. :)

The roar doesn't seem as loud when coasting, but still seems loud and feel slight vibration (more than seems it should be).

I just need to get this scheduled and taken into the shop soon.

I may get them to change tranny fluid as well since I've never done that job and it seems important at 150K miles.

Any other suggestions of things to do at 150K miles?

well not particular at 150K but driveline fluids are always a good thing to do..tranny, diffs and t-case... engine coolant a good idea depending on how long it has been... likely have a timing belt change and often a water pump to service at the same time too.
Brakes are always a good thing to clean up, inspect for any leaking axle seals or calipers,pistons... maybe change the brake fluid as well if in a humid climate... can add the power steering fluid to this list as well...
air cleaner and now that Raydouble has shown me the way..clean the MAF sensor....
Also do the drive belts need a new set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom