Rear Hatch Struts - Extended Length? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have a 2013 Land Cruiser with manual lift gate and I've realized lately that I find myself in alot of situations where I'm standing slightly higher than my cruiser while putting stuff in the rear cargo. On several occasions I have hit my head on the upper hatch, and I'm not a very tall man.

Has anyone tried to change the shocks out with some longer ones to allow for a higher lift gate stopping point? I've found a few threads talking about aftermarket on the power liftgates, but they weren't specifically discussing the height limitations.

In an ideal world I would love to purchase new struts off of some other toyota so I still have OEM quality with a modification.

It would be difficult to get more range while using the stock pivot locations.

As longer struts have longer collapsed length. Which wouldn't let you close the hatch because the struts bottom out before the hatch can be closed.

If you found a longer extending strut, it would also need to have the same collapsed length as the stock one.

Over time my struts lost their strength and the hatch would not pop up all the way on its own. Maybe a silly question but are you sure yours are extending all the way?

@supraturbo and @Leaky2014 obviously have the most sensible answer, and will likely be the only logical fix.

I just went out and tried manually pushing the hatch up further, and it did not budge any so I assume that the struts are allowing full range. I am only 5'11", however I go to several parks and preserves where I have to back into spots so that my cargo area is not right at the roadside. In several of these spots the ground level rises just past he parking area which results in my standing higher than the cruiser is parked. Even on level ground though I only have a couple inches of head clearance, I have to assume someone 6'1 or greater would run into this issue at some point.

As a civil engineer myself I am aware that the stock mounting points will not facilitate much if any additional range, however it does appear that the top mounting bracket could potentially be relocated with one or two additional holes drilled. Or someone could fabricate a different mounting plate all together possibly.

I've also included a picture of my hatch open so someone else can verify that theirs opens to approximately 90degrees and no higher.

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

Hello, Mud members.

I have a 2013 LX as well and am trying to find the part number for the tailgate struts as mine are tired and the gate either won't open all the way or stay all the way up.

I'm having trouble finding part numbers via Google search. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers and where to purchase them? Or, good aftermarket options?

Hello, Mud members.

I have a 2013 LX as well and am trying to find the part number for the tailgate struts as mine are tired and the gate either won't open all the way or stay all the way up.

I'm having trouble finding part numbers via Google search. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers and where to purchase them? Or, good aftermarket options?
Stay Assy, Back Door, RH
  • Part Name Code:
    68950C
  • 68950-69215

Stay Assy, Back Door, LH
  • Part Name Code:
  • 68960-69165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom