Rear end rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have desperately been trying to figure out a rear end rattle in my ‘07 LX470 for months. It has 154k miles on it. I have removed the spare tire completely. I have wrapped clamps around the cats like so many posts say. I have touched every part I can reach and nothing is loose. The heat shields are firmly attached. The noise happens after the vehicle has been driven for more than 10 minutes and most often at low speeds on rough roads. It literally sounds like something is about to fall off the vehicle. Please help!!

Are you using a mallet to find the rattle? I've had one vehicle where the internals of the catalytic converter broke down and was rattling.

I've always wanted to buy one of these.... super low tech and looks like a 8th graders science project but people love them...

Amazon product ASIN B000IHIAES

Are you using a mallet to find the rattle? I've had one vehicle where the internals of the catalytic converter broke down and was rattling.

I've always wanted to buy one of these.... super low tech and looks like a 8th graders science project but people love them...

Amazon product ASIN B000IHIAES
I’ve just been using a small hammer. Not sure what kind of mallet you are referring to but I’m willing to buy one and try again!

Just a regular rubber mallet. When you said you “touched” every part, I wasn’t sure what you meant.

Is your bottle jack loose or spare tire, they can bang around in the back if loose misleading the listener

A light metal rattle noise from the rear end on sharp choppy roads , good chance it's e brake related. It could also be heat shield of exhaust related but I've seen a bunch of forums on here with people finding it's the e-brake components.

If it sounds more of a heavy rattle noise it could be something else. The exhaust damper weight on my cat recently broke off. The weight stays trapped in the cage and rolls around. Sometimes even the cage just rattles.

Pull the ebrake up slightly and see if the noise goes away when bouncing down the bumpy roads. Check over exhaust system again also

A light metal rattle noise from the rear end on sharp choppy roads , good chance it's e brake related. It could also be heat shield of exhaust related but I've seen a bunch of forums on here with people finding it's the e-brake components.

If it sounds more of a heavy rattle noise it could be something else. The exhaust damper weight on my cat recently broke off. The weight stays trapped in the cage and rolls around. Sometimes even the cage just rattles.

Pull the ebrake up slightly and see if the noise goes away when bouncing down the bumpy roads. Check over exhaust system again also
Thanks!

3rd row not fastened properly?

Engaging the emergency brake did not help at all.

@Mike NXP thank you for this, I discovered that my rattle is greatly reduced when barely enaging the e-brake. Now the question is why? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/diagnose which e-brake component is causing the rattle?

My guess would be that your shoe adjuster isn't properly set, leaving some loose bits.

@Mike NXP thank you for this, I discovered that my rattle is greatly reduced when barely enaging the e-brake. Now the question is why? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/diagnose which e-brake component is causing the rattle?
Wish I knew, been living with my rattle for years. I don't really want to / know how to mess with the e-brake stuff, will wait till something breaks.

My guess would be that your shoe adjuster isn't properly set, leaving some loose bits.

Can this be done through the little opening through the disc brake? I'm sure I can find some how-tos on the forums here. Is it worth messing with?

Can this be done through the little opening through the disc brake? I'm sure I can find some how-tos on the forums here. Is it worth messing with?

Yep, that's what the opening is for. You can find the procedure in the FSM but essentially you adjust the shoes all the way out until they are making full contact with the drum, then back them off 8 notches. Page BR-38

1659645623418.png

Wish I knew, been living with my rattle for years. I don't really want to / know how to mess with the e-brake stuff, will wait till something breaks.

Yep, that's what the opening is for. You can find the procedure in the FSM but essentially you adjust the shoes all the way out until they are making full contact with the drum, then back them off 8 notches. Page BR-38

View attachment 3077587
Thank you gentlemen! Through my testing I realized that my ebrake doesn't work at all (when fully engaged, light comes on, but zero resistance at the wheel...) so at least now I know for sure what's up. Anyone have experience with this kit from cruiserparts.net?

Might be worth taking the time to inspect your e-brake components before buying a kit so that you know exactly what is disconnected, what needs replaced, etc. I took pictures of mine when I was in there doing rear brakes recently but will probably go back in to take inventory of everything missing/disconnected before I spend the coin to get something "too" complete, such as this.

IIRC all you really need to do is pull your wheel, remove and suspend the caliper, then remove your disc/drum to see all of the e-brake components. Page BR-34.

My e brake didn’t work and it was because the cable was rusted solid in the sheath. Couldn’t break it loose. Had to replace the cable assy to get it operational again. Not too bad from part souq. How I found out my e brake wasn’t working wasn’t fun..

I had same type of rattling noise coming from underneath the car after the car warming up. I kicked the rear catalytic converter and found the honey comb inside catalytic converter was hanging loose.
After removing the rear cat, rattling noise went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom