Rear e-locker in Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '01 Tacoma Prerunner 2wd, is there a way to put a rear e-locker in this, either factory or aftermarket?

In short, yes. But you have to swap out the whole axle. E-locker axles are 8'' . Standard taco axles are 8.4". This makes it impossible to modify the standard housing to fit the e-locker. Is your pre-runner a 4 or 6 cylinder. If it is a 4 with 4:30's you will have a bit of trouble finding an axle that will work because you most likely don't have abs with a 4 cyl. and most trd packaged taco's came fully loaded so ABS was an option. It took me almost 3 years to find my non-ABS e-locker axle. Good luck on your mod though if you decide to do it.:cheers:

Thanks for the reply, I got stuck out in a field yesterday in it, and I had some thinking time during my long walk to the house and thought of locking the rear diff. I would love to have 4wd but I dont want to get rid of my Tacoma. Mine is a 4 cyl., where did you locate yours,what did it come from, and if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost? I dont know if it is economically possible for me to do it, but I would like to give it a try. Thanks a bunch for youre input.

There are several aftermarket locker options that are much cheaper than changing to a Toyota e-locker. Powertrax, Aussie, Detroit, ARB.... some are automatic, ARB is selectable and some are full time. I am considering the Powertrax autolocker as I was quoted $1800 for a replacement axle (used) with e-locker including my axle in trade.

I found mine late last year in a wrecking yard close to where I live. I got it complete drum to drum with the wiring harness and ecu for $700. It was a steal I know, but the yard that had it said that it had been sitting on the shelf since it was new. The truck it came out of was a 2002 stan. cab pre-runner that was totaled after only 500 miles on it. Search car-part.com and they will tell you where every axle you specify is in the nation, and most give prices. Try that and let me know what happens. Good luck !

Cool!, sounds like i've got some searching to do, thanks for all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom