Rear dvd question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I just picked up a 2003 LX 470.it has the factory GPS DVD head unit but it also has a flip down screen for the rear passengers. It definitely looks factory. I can't seem to get the DVD to show up on the rear monitor. I can get it to play on the front monitor but not on the rear. it just keeps reading "no disc". any thoughts to my problem? I have the factory remote with new batteries and pushed the DVD button and it switches to DVD but just reads "no disc". I thought maybe there was another slot for the rear DVD player to insert another DVD, but I have not found anything. This vehicle is a little fancy for me. I have been in a built LX 450 for the last few years and it is nothing like this LX 470 that I now own. I love this vehicle but it is a completely different type of vehicle altogether. I am used to asking questions about building axles or bumpers not technical DVD questions. Is almost awkward to ask or even start this thread.

I think I can answer my own question. I just found a DVD player in the back by the third row in the wall. Is that the factory location for the rear DVD player? If so that is a terrible design. It's the front parents that are typically putting in the movies and there is no way you can access that DVD player from the front of the car.

okay, I got the DVD player in the rear to show the movie on the middle row screen, BUT.... I have no sound. Do I have to use the headphones for the kids in the middle row to have sound on the middle road DVD player? Does that factory middle screen not have its own speakers built into the car?

The RES does not have it's own speakers. You have to use head phones or use the FM transmitter feature to play audio through the main speakers. And yes, it's an odd set up for the DVD player location! Do you have the RES operation manual? How about the wireless headphones that came with the system?

I do have the owners manual and I do have both headsets. Both headsets are junk. One is broken in half and the other the batteries were left in years too long and completely corroded the headphone. I probably need to buy two new headphones when I'm sure Lexus would charge a stupid amount of money for those. Is there a way to pick up a signal through the front head unit using the radio? Or any other way of transmitting the sound through the main head unit?

I just saw the earlier post about the FM transmitter. Is there a specific station I need to be on?

so I went through every FM station with a DVD player playing in it did not come through any channel. How do I set up the FM transmitter feature?

On the 2003 that I recently purchased, I have a DVD player in the same location as you, but I have screens in the front seat headrests. In the long, skinny compartment above the DVD player, I have an A/B speaker switch. If it is on A, then I get sound through the speakers, while tuned to 88.9 FM, and a toggle switch in the dash is turned on. If it is on B, then I assume the sounds plays through the wireless headphones, that did NOT come with the Land Cruiser when I bought it.

The toggle switch is under the cigarette light area, but above the gear shift (sorry no photo, but it is really dark and scary outside right now :skull:) If you want, I can take some photos tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

On the 2003 that I recently purchased, I have a DVD player in the same location as you, but I have screens in the front seat headrests. In the long, skinny compartment above the DVD player, I have an A/B speaker switch. If it is on A, then I get sound through the speakers, while tuned to 88.9 FM, and a toggle switch in the dash is turned on. If it is on B, then I assume the sounds plays through the wireless headphones, that did NOT come with the Land Cruiser when I bought it.

The toggle switch is under the cigarette light area, but above the gear shift (sorry no photo, but it is really dark and scary outside right now :skull:) If you want, I can take some photos tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

I checked for a switch in the long skinny area above the DVD player but no luck. It had a cargo net rolled up in there but nothing else. There was also no switch on the dash. Maybe the LX and yota are set up differently?

Does the LX have a separate audio system for the rear seat like the LC? Maybe that is the how to get audio. You might have to plug in headphones in the back of the center console?

Can you try one of the wireless headphones?

IIRC most FM transmitters are down in the 88 range. Was the DVD playing, and not just on the menu? Sometimes the menu does not have audio.

Good luck.

i don't believe that any rear entertainment system that came with any of our trucks was "stock" from the factory. I have an audiovox system that came with the truck when it was first sold (as per the window sticker). The second row headrest monitors that i have work is such a way that only the left monitor has the ability to play through the headunit via an fm transmitter (89.1 station). i can play dvd's from the right monitor so long as the left monitor is set to view that screen as well. Otherwise the kids can watch two different dvd's with the wireless headsets.

In your system (op) are you able to play dvd's from under the arm rest and have it play on the monitor for the second and third row? (just curious)

In my RES owners manual the instructions for playing audio through the vehicle speakers is on page 3. The headphones were not that expensive last time I saw them on a Toyota parts site. If you need FM connections instructions post back and I'll type them out.

In my RES owners manual the instructions for playing audio through the vehicle speakers is on page 3. The headphones were not that expensive last time I saw them on a Toyota parts site. If you need FM connections instructions post back and I'll type them out.

I do need the FM connection instructions. I can't seem to find the RES owners manual.

Does the LX have a separate audio system for the rear seat like the LC? Maybe that is the how to get audio. You might have to plug in headphones in the back of the center console?

Can you try one of the wireless headphones?

IIRC most FM transmitters are down in the 88 range. Was the DVD playing, and not just on the menu? Sometimes the menu does not have audio.

Good luck.

There are stereo controls on the back of the front center console that is an entirely seperate systems. I have some spare head phones and it works. You can also plug in corded head phones into the actual drop down screen and the sound works. i also put new batteries in the factory wireless headphones and it works BUT the headphone is cracked in the middle; not useable. All of the headphone features work. i just need the sound to come through the car audio.

In your system (op) are you able to play dvd's from under the arm rest and have it play on the monitor for the second and third row? (just curious)
I don't have a monitor for the 3rd row. There is only a middle row monitor for the DVD. the rear mounted DVD player (located in 3rd row on passenger side outer wall) only plays DVD for the 2nd row. The front factory HU only plays DVD's on the front heat unit and ONLY when the car is not moving. Can I bypass that feature to get DVD's to play on the front HU while the vehicle is driving?

Last edited:
1. Press SETUP on the remote control to access the main setup menu on the RES screen

2. Use the UP/Down arrows to highlight FM-Modulator and press Enter to confirm your selection

3. In the FM-Modulator menu, press the LEFT/RIGHT arrows to select a radio frequency (16 frequencies are available) and then press Enter

4. Turn on the car radio and tune to the FM frequency you selected.

If the audio is noisy, or does not play, repeat steps above and select a different frequency, then tune the radio to the new frequency.

To turn off the FM transmitter mode, select OFF in the FM-Modulator menu.

1. Press SETUP on the remote control to access the main setup menu on the RES screen

2. Use the UP/Down arrows to highlight FM-Modulator and press Enter to confirm your selection

3. In the FM-Modulator menu, press the LEFT/RIGHT arrows to select a radio frequency (16 frequencies are available) and then press Enter

4. Turn on the car radio and tune to the FM frequency you selected.

If the audio is noisy, or does not play, repeat steps above and select a different frequency, then tune the radio to the new frequency.

To turn off the FM transmitter mode, select OFF in the FM-Modulator menu.

thank you so much for those instructions. As soon as my wife gets home with the car I will go out and try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom