Rear Driveshaft Length FJ43 with H41 trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vintagewheelsegypt.com
Hello,
I wonder if I can get some help.
Could someone please measure the rear drive shaft for off a FJ43 with a H41 transmission please? Incase I cannot sort a stock one locally, I will have to make one :(
I am currently in the process of collecting all that is required to swap my 3 speed with a H41
Gear box/TA, Front drive shaft, bell housing, and gearbox mount and bracket have been sorted thankfully.
What I am missing is the rear driveshaft as my 43 is that medium wheelbase rare one.
I have a rear drive shaft off a 45 which I know will be too long.
Planning to keep the 3 speed/TA with its driveshafts and bell housing unmolested.

What transfer case with the H41? If you still using the one piece case should just be a matter of how much longer the front one is than with a three speed the rear should be that much short that the three speed rear driveshaft. When I changed from a three speed to a four speed in my FJ40 I had the front lengthened 3 1/2" and back shortened 3 1/2". That the difference in the length of the three speed transmission and H42 four speed.

If you can wait a few hours I have that measurement at home off of my 1981. H41 and split T case

devo

Where is your hand brake? Mid wheel base would be on the rear axle if a complete vehicle made in Japan. No year mentioned could even be a three speed with the early three bolt pattern on the flanges. Three speed was available up 10/82 in some markets. None of the three speeds had a split case.

I have a 1981 FJ43 Made In Japan. Rolled off of the main Honshu plant assembly line #1. LHD, 2F, H41 4spd, split transfer, typical tub for a 1981 40 series, hand brake on the hump to the right of the driver seat. E brake typical of 1981 40 and 60 series.

Thank you @Living in the Past, Thank you @devo, I highly appreciate your input :)

My 43 is a 1975 up to 1977 as we could not pin point the exact year. #FJ43-44363 engine #124180 making it a very early 2F. Came with its original 3 speed.
E-brake under the dash grab/twist handle operating a drum brake on the rear drive shaft. Stock setup.

From research and what I have seen, all 4 speed 40s have the same front driveshaft which should not be an issue. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached are photos of the H41 I acquired, could be easier to answer any questions.

I after this swap as I need a crawler 1st gear driving in sand here in the Sahara. I must say I have managed to go everywhere I need with the 3 speed, but I always used it as a 6 speed, always ready to switch to low range when needed. Having a 5:1 first gear will be an amazing leap in my world.

H41 (1).jpeg

H41 (2).jpeg

Thank you @Living in the Past, Thank you @devo, I highly appreciate your input :)

My 43 is a 1975 up to 1977 as we could not pin point the exact year. #FJ43-44363 engine #124180 making it a very early 2F. Came with its original 3 speed.
E-brake under the dash grab/twist handle operating a drum brake on the rear drive shaft. Stock setup.

From research and what I have seen, all 4 speed 40s have the same front driveshaft which should not be an issue. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached are photos of the H41 I acquired, could be easier to answer any questions.

I after this swap as I need a crawler 1st gear driving in sand here in the Sahara. I must say I have managed to go everywhere I need with the 3 speed, but I always used it as a 6 speed, always ready to switch to low range when needed. Having a 5:1 first gear will be an amazing leap in my world.

View attachment 3274557

View attachment 3274560

how are you going to / planning to make your own drive shaft ?

do u have one of my
DRIVE SHAFT charts ?

this is " MY MYSTRISS "

1/83 FJ43L-MC

DSCN6583.JPG
DSCN6588.JPG
DSCN6589.JPG
DSCN6594 - Copy.JPG

how are you going to / planning to make your own drive shaft ?
I got a stock 45 rear drive shaft which I will shorten.
Will be done at a metal lathe workshop. A guy who specializes in shortening and lengthening driveshafts, although I know it will never be factory balanced.
Any ideas ? I have never attempted such a task before, but the cars I have seen and driven with shafts made by that guy are good, no complains so far.

View attachment 3274557

View attachment 3274560

do u remember me mr. egypt OFFROAD ?

i help you many years ago with the DATA PLATES .,... :)

01booktalkpodell.jpg

Hey Matt,
Very nice photo. Love it.
I remember you made some very nice copies of the Data plates. If I remember correctly I did not acquire one as there was a difference in the font of some numbers and letters from my original well patina'd and abused plate :)

you remember like 10 years ago i make your plates for you :cool:

like 7 of them ...

Its funny, there might be something mixed up or some miss understanding.
As I still have the original plate in its place on my 43, never changed.

I tried to retrieve our old messages and conversation but couldn't as they were erased years back.

What you have is most likely from a FJ45. That's a split transfer case. Those were only used on FJ45, BJ45 and HJ47 models. 8/80 the short and m id wheel 40 series hand brakes moved to the rear axle. Doubt it is from a diesel in your part of the world. Search around the left side of the transfer case should find the date and serial number.

With the hand brake on the transfer case the rear driveshaft would be slightly shorter than one from a 8/80+ mid wheel 40 series. Besides measurements between flange I perfer measurements of the driveshaft itself. Mainly the small section the spline yolk slides into and the larger tube it's welded to. It's the length of those two I would want to go by. Lifts, spring arch can effect the flange to flange measurement. Those sections of the driveshaft are not effected by anything.

What you have is most likely from a FJ45. That's a split transfer case. Those were only used on FJ45, BJ45 and HJ47 models. 8/80 the short and m id wheel 40 series hand brakes moved to the rear axle. Doubt it is from a diesel in your part of the world. Search around the left side of the transfer case should find the date and serial number.

With the hand brake on the transfer case the rear driveshaft would be slightly shorter than one from a 8/80+ mid wheel 40 series. Besides measurements between flange I perfer measurements of the driveshaft itself. Mainly the small section the spline yolk slides into and the larger tube it's welded to. It's the length of those two I would want to go by. Lifts, spring arch can effect the flange to flange measurement. Those sections of the driveshaft are not effected by anything.

Thank you @Living in the Past
Highly appreciate your input and detailed explanation.

You are correct, that H41/TC is off a 1980s 2F FJ45 troopy. I got the driveshafts and a few others bits from that 45 aswell. Seems like I will be modifying the rear drive shaft I got.

Will look up the prod date and serial tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom