Rear door seal issues on 2017 gx460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’ve been having issues with both rear door rubber seals on the vehicle side either shrinking or coming loose. Either a gap bt the trim and gasket loosens or it gets between the door seam and door side seal and won’t let the door shut properly. Has anyone else run into these issues or has the po done some undocumented maintenance? Pics to follow.

Hello, I’ve been having issues with both rear door rubber seals on the vehicle side either shrinking or coming loose. Either a gap bt the trim and gasket loosens or it gets between the door seam and door side seal and won’t let the door shut properly. Has anyone else run into these issues or has the po done some undocumented maintenance? Pics to follow.
Sounds similar to the rubber seal of my passenger side rear door. I just added some silicone adhesive to keep it in place and so far it’s holding up

what caused it? I can’t tell if it’s just shrinkage of the rubber gasket or things were taken apart and reinstalled improperly.

what caused it? I can’t tell if it’s just shrinkage of the rubber gasket or things were taken apart and reinstalled improperly.
No idea, prob age and heat wore down glue holding rubber seal to door frame

Having this same issue.

PXL_20230329_165841790.jpg

The only time rubber shrinks is when it dehydrates and your picture shows it to look still very pliable. I believe this is caused from the rubber trim creeping along one edge or another.
I'd try to work it back in place and if necessary hot glue it around the the corner.
Just make sure you clean the surface really well with IPA.

The only time rubber shrinks is when it dehydrates and your picture shows it to look still very pliable. I believe this is caused from the rubber trim creeping along one edge or another.
I'd try to work it back in place and if necessary hot glue it around the the corner.
Just make sure you clean the surface really well with IPA.
Let me take a video of what happens when I try that and share it here and maybe you can make some suggestions on that, I'd be happy not to have to replace them.

Reactions: r2m
Mine did the same. I bought some adhesive specifically for door seals from the auto parts store. It was easy to pull it off and reapply the seal and no issues since then. It was the yellow Permatex me thinks.

Here's what happens...

From where the molding starts, you have to work it all the way around pulling it as you go, or you will get that shorting one corner to fill the other.

From where the molding starts, you have to work it all the way around pulling it as you go, or you will get that shorting one corner to fill the other.
I had the same issue on 3 of the side doors when I got my 2015 last year. Like @r2m mentioned, I pulled mine loose on the rear and top sides, and then laid it back in starting front to back. Repositioning like that they've all stayed in place for about a year.

Not sure if those seals shrink a bit over time. My rear/barn door seals had similar issues, but since they're continuous I couldn't reposition them the same way. I bought a replacement for the main seal on the rear door and that solved my issue there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom