Rear Disc Brake Backing Plates - Pre 99 HZJ7* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright my Dad and I are having a hell of a time trying to track down a set of replacement rear disc brake backing plates for his 91 HZJ73.

4650460021 and 4650360061 are the discontinued part numbers.

What I'm trying to figure out is what else can we use instead of this.
HZJ79s came later with rear discs but I cannot confirm caliper size/rotor size.
Heck even 80 series stuff may fit as this is a full floating rear end as well.

Ideas or solutions?

Use the 80 series stuff from 1993-1997. Direct bolt on backing plates.

The ones you want are gonzo a la dodo.

If I was doing a conversion, I’d use 80 series stuff straight up and not mess around with FJC stuff.

Assumes you have a 16” rim minimum.

After the spring bracket for the parking-brake rusted/broke off mine, thereby killing my p-brake, i went searching too. I ended up removing everything related to the stock parking brake from the rear axle and getting one of those t-case parking brake kits.
Got the kit from TSM and a custom cable from somewhere (i could look it up).

Ended up with a parking brake that works better, in my opinion, and is a lot simpler to maintain.
So if the p-prake is all you are after that might be a better, perhaps even cheaper, solution.

Ive heard somewhere else that the 80 series Backing Plates will not bolt up as the flange is different between the two axle housings.

I did find rotor sizing specs to compare 79 series rear rotors to fj/pre99 70 series rear rotors. Same diameter while the overall height of them changes. Makes me question does the hub assembly change (yes I know they are 5bolt vs 6bolt) but what else could change this?

Also should try and just figure out what crosses over with the 79 series rear brakes and North American models.

2B502606-B311-436D-8AC8-1415B4F7ACB0.png

F2D3FD6B-C630-42B8-B482-3D05C4DFE6DF.png

Ive been told they are hard to get in Australia used. The mines broke everything. I needed some a few years back and a suspension shop tracked down a set for me.

Beno any idea how different the 80 series FF e brake setup is compared to the 70 series?
How much of a bolt up job do you figure this would be?

Run no backing plates, they just collect stones and make horrible noises when they scrub against the discs. Not really a problem when it's a city rig but i know a few companies make backing plate delete kits.

Any updates on this?

Use the 80 series stuff from 1993-1997. Direct bolt on backing plates.

The ones you want are gonzo a la dodo.
Is this true? 80 series rear rotors are ~335mm to the 7x 312mm, yet run the same calipers. I assume it's because the backing plate caliper mounting position is slightly different?

Beno any idea how different the 80 series FF e brake setup is compared to the 70 series?
How much of a bolt up job do you figure this would be?
I'm in the process of trying this. Can't decide between running 105 rear rotors (hard to get) which are super similar to 80, or changing out the rear backing plates to 99+ 7x and running 7x rotors.
If I go 7x, basically the same handbrake parts with exception of dogbone spring, shoes, and levers. 🤙

wish me luck 🥴

80 series rotors will work but have a deeper body, so you’ll need to source 80 series hubs otherwise it won’t work with 70 series hubs. So your track will get wider by about 1.25” on each side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom