Rear Diff Rebuild Advice (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am suspecting I have a worn out pinion bearing in my rear diff due to some play in the flange that connects to the drive shaft and I am also starting to get a shutter in the rear end at 50 to 60 mph. I am considering how I want to take on this repair:

Option 1 - Buy a rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters and have a shop do all the work.

Option 2 - Buy a rebuild kit, pull the third member myself and take just the third member and kit to a shop and reinstall myself once the work is done.

Option 3 - Buy a drop in from Cruiser Outfitters and do the work myself....this is where I need some other advice.

I was considering doing an ARB locker since everything was torn apart already. It wouldn't be something I use all the time or really need, but again now would be the time since the third member is coming apart. I would also like to have it as insurance and for resale down the road if I ever decide to do that.

Also, should I be considering a gear ratio change? I am stock 2F with a 4 speed. 2 inch OME life with 31" tires and no intention of going higher or bigger at this time.

Shops typically like to order the parts themselves, I’d check first before ordering them ahead of time. You can certainly state you want to use Kurt’s kit. I just had my rear differential rebuilt by a shop and I’m glad I did. I already have cable lockers. I did pull the diff and drop it off though. Diffs are technical, You have to be precise and buy some extra tools. Especially on the rear diff, the margin of error is way low.

If there’s a reputable place have them do it and install the locker. Money well spent. Save money elsewhere. 🤓

From an inexperienced home tinkerer’s point of view, my vote is to remove the third member and take it to a professional differential shop and have them rebuild it if necessary and install an ARB locker if that’s wanted too (highly recommended).

What option did you decide to go with?
I'm currently debating the same options you layed out.
I am waiting on a quote from a local shop about doing a rebuild with a rebuild kit. Not sure I will ever be wheeling this rig to the point of needing a locker. Got my eye on a H55F transmission which is a better use of the 1.8k I would spend on an ARB set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom