Rear control arm setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed David Quatch's heavy duty lower control arms. They are for a 4" lift and are 1/8" longer than stock. I then had adjusters, from slee-offroad, put into the upper control arms and set them to the same length as stock, and adjusted them 1/8" longer to match the lowers and give about the same pinion angle as I started with. I then adjusted the upper control arms 3/16" longer to decrease the u-joint angles. does this seem correct???
Thanks,
Sean

Who's "David Quatch's "?

My lowers were the same length as stock, just heavier duty. It's the panhards and uppers that need adjusting.

Sean, measurements does not really help in this one. Pretty much have to experiment until you get the rear driveshaft to be vibration and noise free. Wit 5" lift, we normally start with about 1/2" shorter.

Thanks, Christo. I thought I had no vibrations before, but I must have had some because the truck is more quiet and smoother than before. I guess as is often the case, you don't know something is wrong until you improve it. Especially with slowly making mods one by one. Each change is incrementally worse and not really noticed. I guess that means I will be getting the panhard adjusters and front control arms and CV joint in the near future. I bet there will be a world of difference that I did not even notice was wrong. I am beginning to see why you recommend doing the complete setup from the beginning.
Cheers,
Sean

I just got my arms from David, so I need some bushings...C-Dan...Can I order from you??

MTNRAT...
How'd your install go? I'm only running OME Heavy, 850 and 863's but the consensus was that these would work fine, and are a quality upgrade in terms of strength. I will have new bushings pressed in, I'll go to a shop for that, don't imagine my vice will work too well.

C-Dan, I need all bushings for my 97. rear lower control arms.
I'd also like to see about getting a 91-93 era battery set-up for my future second battery install....Any Help?

Thanks

Jeff

It was pretty easy although I had to loosen the lower shock bolts so I could remove the lower control arm mounting bolts. I switched how they went in so I will never have to do that again. :banana:
Sean

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4551;start=msg34378#msg34378 date=1061644154]
Who's "David Quatch's "?[/quote]

My magic #8 ball is out of order. Answer?

Junk. David is a design engineer for Applied Materials. He designed the lower control arms and saw them through fabrication. They are 1/4" DOM steel, have roughned outide surfaces, are then zinc plated and powder coated. He put the suspension of a 4" lifted 80 series through computor modeling, taking into account the full range of movement. The length was then adjusted to account for the pinion angle of the 4" lift.
Sean

Junk, You had to be let on the 80scool_norcal list to see that. :D :D And from how you diss some of the west coasters. well... :D :D :D.
Cheers,
Sean

Just FYI...He does have more, I think like 5 sets. They are gonna be very similar to Slee's, except 80 bucks less w/out shipping. His Brother hand delivered em to me,, so I couldn't beat the price. But I did feel bad talkin to Christo about bushings, when he looked on his computer and noticed I didn't get them from him. But I have bought Slee's trans skid, sliders, water bottle relocation kit, CDL switch, cup holder, speedometer tranny doohicky for 33" tires...and I promised I'm hooked on his bumbers, just need more $$$

PM Me and i'll give anyone David's email, he is in San Jose. (except you Christo....kidding)

Jeff

So the dude just copied Slee's design? :eek:

Hope not, that would be some pretty bad karma.

West Coasters? Nah, I don't slam them. I hear they slam each other every chance they get. :flipoff2: :D .... and don't anyone hate email me, that was obviously a frickin joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom