Rear Bumper Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in July, I slid a little in a muddy creek bed and bruised the silver wing on my rear bumper (left side). I wasn't too concerned, but thought I'd just paint both silver end caps with black bumper paint. I used a 2 step system where after thoroughly cleaning the bumper ends (and masking around the area), I applied an "adhesion promoter" and then used as black bumper paint. I am quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't nessecarily do this on a TiSilver or Black, 'cause the silver adds to the appearance on those color schemes, but IMHO, the silver on the black and yellow is a little incongruous. Anyway, the results are below:
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg

Looks nice, you could do the same with front end bumper.

If i were you i'd consider doing the small silver piece remaining on the rear bumper aswell, and definetly the front. Looks good!

'72 - last of the chrome bumpers front and rear - '73 had the last rear chrome bumper - and its probably as stock and original as your Echo.

I am going to do that silver panel lower center in the rear in black, but the front is gonna be a steel black powder coat. My bumper should arrive next week - right jfonz?

Base model with the hoop.

I'm definetly interested in the same bumper. Hopefully next year i'll be able to have one shipped to me. The E1 is by far my favorite aftermarket bumper.

Back in July, I slid a little in a muddy creek bed and bruised the silver wing on my rear bumper (left side). I wasn't too concerned, but thought I'd just paint both silver end caps with black bumper paint. I used a 2 step system where after thoroughly cleaning the bumper ends (and masking around the area), I applied an "adhesion promoter" and then used as black bumper paint. I am quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't nessecarily do this on a TiSilver or Black, 'cause the silver adds to the appearance on those color schemes, but IMHO, the silver on the black and yellow is a little incongruous. Anyway, the results are below:

It looks great...one of our dogs tried to jump in the back of my titanium FJ and his claw dug a pretty deep scratch in the same piece. I wonder if (after we incur a few more off roading bruises) painting those pieces black would look as good on a titanium FJ?:confused: Your fix looks great...:cool:

It looks great...one of our dogs tried to jump in the back of my titanium FJ and his claw dug a pretty deep scratch in the same piece. I wonder if (after we incur a few more off roading bruises) painting those pieces black would look as good on a titanium FJ?:confused: Your fix looks great...:cool:

Thanx - and future repairs/touch-up comes in the same can!

looks really nice...where did you get the bumper paint?
Checker Auto. The brand of both the Adhesion Promoter and Bumper Paint is "Dupli-Color". I trail tested it yesterday with sand, sun and rain. Haven't washed it yet but I bet it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom