Rear bumper hitch swing construction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a good amount of reading builds and am now almost ready to build my own rear swing bumper but wanted to ask a few questions first. i want to build a hitch that my bumper will bolt to then have a swing arm from the hitch through the bumper. I want to keep the look of my stock looking bumper. The hitch will be the strong support for the weak bumper. My questions are... Would 1/4" wall be too much or should i use lighter wall? How long does the brackets to the frame need to be? I want it to be bolt onto the frame. Which swing hinge is the strongest? the swing will hold 3 jerry cans for water and will have a gate that drops down like a tailgate. I want it to carry random things that cannot be in the pickup camper. Is it possible for the gate to hold 200 or more lbs that far back on the truck? Also, i want to use the toyota tailgate latches to hold the swing. Are these latches capable? Ihave two ican use.
I have 1980 toyota pickup 4x4 1/2 ton.

I am building a rear bumper with hitch and swing away spare tire/cooler racks on the rear. The bumper is 3/16" thick 2x6 tube steel and is already installed for safety reasons. I will be building the swing aways this weekend (well at least start the tire one this weekend and I will be using a combination of 2-1/2" angle iron 1/4 wall , 2x3x1/4 steel tubing and 2x2x3/16 tubing. The Toyota tailgate hinges and latches will not be able to support 200+ lbs for long. For hinges and small parts, I got the AtoZ tire carrier swingout component builders kit for the tire holding portion and the tire carrier swingout heavy duty hing kit for the gas can/cooler swing portion - both upgraded to the mega duty spindle option. Also bought the T handle latch assemble for locking the swings. The hinges are rated for 1250lbs (I believe). Should handle a 200lb load.

Last edited:
I am building a rear bumper with hitch and swing away spare tire/cooler racks on the rear. The bumper is 3/16" thick 2x6 tube steel and is already installed for safety reasons. I will be building the swing aways this weekend (well at least start the tire one this weekend and I will be using a combination of 2-1/2" angle iron 1/4 wall , 2x3x1/4 steel tubing and 2x2x3/16 tubing. The Toyota tailgate hinges and latches will not be able to support 200+ lbs for long. For hinges and small parts, I got the AtoZ tire carrier swingout component builders kit for the tire holding portion and the tire carrier swingout heavy duty hing kit for the gas can/cooler swing portion - both upgraded to the mega duty spindle option. Also bought the T handle latch assemble for locking the swings. The hinges are rated for 1250lbs (I believe). Should handle a 200lb

Where did you source the T handle latch from?

be VERY cautious of trailer spindles, as in don't use them. Single spindles that seem to work include dana 60 spindles with locking hubs and other similar designs that are BEEFY. Also in the work category include double hinged units like the original FJ40 swingaway and japanese 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom