(re)introducing Pammy Bluebus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been coming to ih8mud for a few years now but never did quite get around to starting a proper build thread, I figure it's about time. I bought this fully stock FJ60 with 317K miles with a 'fairly straight' body and no rust out of Cali. The rust statement ended up being largely true fortunately. My intention with this car has been to 1) own what I consider to be the best looking rugged people carrier bar none 2) Use it as a platform to finally learn welding, body work and paint, diagnostics, & automotive wrenching and 3) have a mode of transportation that I can really get attached to that gets to be a part of the family. I call her Pammy because my wife and I had a friend named Pammy on the east coast who was super cool and always made us smile, and this wagon has those same attributes. Her primary role right now is getting the girls to daycare and she's blue, so that's where the last name comes from... So far I'm a little over 2 years into ownership and have done most of the body work and interior decorating that I had planned and am ready to put her in to service again. Thought I'd share a before/after and then slowly build up this thread for future reference.
As a little background, I bought her sight unseen from a dude in Sacramento and made the decision to fly down and drive her 700 miles home. In retrospect I should have done more than just check the oil and drive, but then again these cars have their bulletproof reputation for a reason. Clutch cylinder failed about 5 minutes from home but I still made it back, and was officially smitten with the car after that.

Here's what she looked like when I brought her home. Notice the white latex primer on the valence and the totally degraded clearcoat on the hood and 1/4 panels. The crunched up panels aren't so visible in these shots, but they weren't horrible.
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG

Other notable issues were a super leaky oil pan, EGR issues & stumbling, vacuum leaks from old hoses, and an extremely dirty and worn out interior. Other than that she was great!

Here's what she looks like as of last week:
IMG_7120.JPG

I'll post a few more photos of the process but mostly I wanted to check in and say hi to everyone and give myself a proper build thread so I have a central place for the myriad questions I'll have as I slowly dig into the mechanical work coming up. Cheers!

She cleaned up fantastic! Great looking 60.

Not sure if there's anyone out there with interest, but I have a full set of the vinyl/carpet that lines the interior paneling in the trunk in pretty decent condition. I just replaced all mine with painted plywood so I don't need the original anymore. The cardboard backing is toast, as is that thin foam backing between the cardboard stock and the vinyl. I was going to break it down and throw it out but it occurred to me that if anyone's trying to do a restoration that might be a tough thing to come by. Not really trying to make a buck on it or anything so I'm not going to bother with posting it to the classifieds unless I suddenly discover that the parts have become unobtanium, but if there is interest I'd rather not take a loss on shipping.

Blue/Grey? I might be interested in the grey vinyl that wraps the side panels under the cargo windows. I'm in Canada, but use a shipping company in Sumas, WA so I would assume shipping would be fairly inexpensive?

Blue/Grey? I might be interested in the grey vinyl that wraps the side panels under the cargo windows. I'm in Canada, but use a shipping company in Sumas, WA so I would assume shipping would be fairly inexpensive?
Right on, yeah it's a grey set and I got all the vinyl, carpeting, liner stripping, and the few hooks and latches and whatnot for the sections under the cargo windows (the trunk carpeting was too gross and worn to salvage). I peeled it off the card stock and rolled it up so it doesn't take up much space but verified that it should be real easy to trace out a new backing just using the vinyl. PM me when it suits you and I'll be happy to work out shipping it up to you. You'll owe me a pint next time you make your way through Tacoma though, I hope that's not a deal breaker.

Hey all, I could use a little bit of help... I'm alone with the girls and had a problem crop up and could use a little help figuring out how to diagnose since I'm only going to have a couple hours tops during their naptimeto figure out what's up and hopefully get started on a solution. took the 60 to the store to get eggs this morning (10 minute drive ish), all was fine. Got out to the parking lot and the car starts fine but won't idle. Will turn over great and will run with the choke pulled out. This all sounds like idle control solenoid issues, which I'll definitely check, but there are two more details that make me concerned there may be something else going on. First is that I have the EGR bypassed with the golf tee trick but haven't recurved the dizzy... It's on the list but I haven't gotten to it yet. The other detail is that I was noticing a little bit of stumbling while driving especially in 2nd gear. That made me think there was either a spark or fuel delivery issue that might not be explained by the idle solenoid. Can anyone suggest other things I should be checking out while I'm in there? Any reference to the FSM much appreciated as well. I normally wouldn't poll the community without doing a little more homework myself but time is tight today...

Also, the stumbling was happening when I would drive without the choke cable pulled, I was just pulling it during idle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom