" Raptor-Like" Ride Quality On & Off Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slight sidetrack, but I’d you ever get a chance to see the high speed desert trucks run it is amazing - the center of the vehicle stays smooth (ish) while the suspensions just soak up the washboard and other surface imperfections. It is cool to watch.

Slight sidetrack, but I’d you ever get a chance to see the high speed desert trucks run it is amazing - the center of the vehicle stays smooth (ish) while the suspensions just soak up the washboard and other surface imperfections. It is cool to watch.
Obviously very different demands but many of them run dual 4” shocks on each corner, over 30” of travel on the rear in a lot of cases.

Look up Bryce Menzies videos on YouTube to music, typical Redbull high production quality, stabilized camera from a helicopter. Absolutely bad ass what those trucks are capable of.

I run with a buddies Raptor that is built with top shelf everything on 37s. Yeah, his truck is in its own when we hit open washes and very high speed tracks on account of 14-15"+ suspension travel. Compared to our typical 10" or 12"+ on King suspension type builds. In the off-roading I do with my buddy, open big environments are minimal or are short segments. In everything else, the LX holds its own with size and traction, AND keeps respectable pace in the fast stuff.

Ride quality in almost everything - it isn't even a comparison. My LX is way ahead. The kids that join us will pick mine every time to pile into because of the huge all day comfort while the Dad's get their off-roading itch scratched. I've done long corrugations and the AHC shocks are barely warmer than ambient because 35s eat up the small stuff, and the larger than remote reservoir fluid volumes have large heat dissipation surface area.

There's different formulas to this performance. Just saying that the 200-series is no slouch when it comes to ride comfort. It's arguably the one to beat vs the Raptor. And can be built with pretty serious travel in its own right.

This isn't the gnarliest track, but it's the one I have a good outside vid of. Just a relaxing ride sightseeing for the family, while the suspension does its work, even if it were seriously bad corrugations. Note to those using AHC with bigger and heavier tires - it can be beneficial on certain tracks at higher speed to dial the damping up to normal or sport+, as the system exercises more compression damping and control over the tires hitting hard and fast off bigger stuff. Comfort mode may not always the smoothest. Also translates into those dialing in their own suspensions that tire size and weight of wheelset is a variable to dial in for.

Yeah, my buddy has a Raptor and other than flat out acceleration on the straight aways, my 200 is arguably "faster" in it's ability to corner, soak up rough stuff, etc. You'll never beat the Raptor in 0-60 (those things are fast) but you can sure as s*** beat it everywhere else.

OEM is a good start in terms of overall ride comfort.
For the smoothest ride: Thicker sidewall tires help. Stiffer/ heavier tires don’t. So unless you need the durability of an LT tire, better stick with upsized P rated tires. Also avoid super stiff coils when lifting.

My LC200 is stock since it has AHC, but I did run Bilsteins then KINGs on my modded 4Runner.. both ride nice, but KINGs definitely on another level.
What tires and rims would you recommend for that? What thicker sidewall tires?

What tires and rims would you recommend for that? What thicker sidewall tires?
Sorry for the confusion.. By thicker sidewall I meant higher sidewall profile tires.

So for example you can get a 17" wheel (such as the Evo corse dakarzero or others) and fit a P-rated 285/70 R17 tire (many brands available). Compared to your current 18" OEM tire setup of 285/60 R18 you will notice more tire between the wheel and the ground, hence help absorb some of the smaller bumps and has a bit more 'cushier' ride.

However, you would find most people at this point upgrade tires to a beefier all-terrain type (LT tires), such as the BFG KO2 which is more durable but not as 'compliant'

Eric can weigh in himself, but I would bet that he mis-spoke in the video and it was really set at C2 R7. (numbers reversed)
@Eric Sarjeant Would you kindly confirm if the BP-51 setup in this video is set to R2 C7? Or is it the other way around?

Or do you have an optimal recommendation for a 95% daily driver sleeper build?

I stand corrected! Sorry for sowing confusion on that, it was just exactly reversed from typical settings that a lot of people run (and presented in reverse order to the standard C#,R# format) that I figured it must be a mis-speak... I'll try Compression 7, rebound 2 and see what the results are. ( I tried it and still suspect he has his Compression and Rebound numbers reversed. Perhaps Eric is not the one actually turning the spanner. Or the rig with this setting has a ton of added weight up front and likes to bounce around after a bump.)

as an example, here are some Mud member's settings and a single person runs compression higher than rebound, but nowhere near R2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom