Rant.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rant.... (M100 teardown)

Why the fxxx do people do stupid s*** like beat on hub bearing nuts with a chisel and a big friggin' hammer? :bang:

Just tore down a hub on one of my M100 trailers and geez louise, they made a big mess in there. Trying to get the grease out I found all the nice razor sharp edges. :mad:

And someone got lazy about properly greasing it. They drilled and tapped the cover plate for a zerk fitting. :hmm: :meh: Problem was, all they did was fill up the hollow in the end of the hub shaft. None of it got to the bearings. :rolleyes: Fortunately the beairngs were greased before assembly. One concern would be overfilling the hubs and pushing grease past the inner seal, getting it all over the brake drum and shoes. :frown:

Dunno yet if I'm going to dress the nuts or get new ones. They're in the bucket of carb cleaner right now.

Last edited:
Stupid people do stupid things, The word of the day.

Take a deep breath and carry on:)

Funny. The same guy must have owned my trailer. Exactly the same thing on my M100. Sharp friggin edges and a zerk in the center of the cover. Too funny. The original leather seals were still in nearly perfect shape though. Yes, I changed them.

mine as well..
was common thing... back in the day

My only frustration was... that I bought the damn hub socket
and was hoping that I'd have been using that for tear down.
but Nope... the hub socket wouldn't fit because of the burs...
so had to use the cold chisel one last time ;)

I smoothed the burs with a grinder.
might not be pretty... but they still work fine

oh... I think I bleed a little too ! LoL

Put the parts in the juice (carb cleaner bucket). Might be able to grind the nuts smooth. There are some pretty big gouges in them. The brake shoes are rusty, but might be able to be wire wheeled and sanded, then painted. The bearings are in excellent condition.

One thing... there was no inner grease seal, nor a gasket on the cover plate. If he had forded with it, the hub would have been full of water. As it was, some grease was being thrown onto the backing plate.

Hope the other side is in good shape. Will tear it down tomorrow. Also pulled the springs and other chassis parts. The smaller parts are in the juice too. Might wind up replacing some, and relegating these to trail spares (C shackles, etc.).

Well, the other side has very little rust in it. Because someone filled the hub up with so much grease from the zerk fitting that it pushed past what's left of the seal and continued to fill up the brake drum. :rolleyes:

One of the bearing races from the other side is shot. Looks like water got on it. Probably from driving through deep puddles with no grease seal. :rolleyes:

I went out and chiseled my lug nuts with a big ol' hammer....

Just to PO the next guy! :D

Kidding aside, if I got called on every boneheaded thing I ever did, you could make a fun book to read.

Hang in there, buying second hand always comes with some drama.

Drew, as always you are spot on. Remember you can fix anything with a hammer except electrical stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom