Radiator Options for a HJ75? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search but couldn't find anything super helpful... and most threads are outdated. With more and more of these early 70 series popping up in the US I figured people would have similar problems in the future.

So my radiator has some pinholes in it, resulting in an embarrassing dribble when I park it after driving around town. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not but it's hardly road trip worthy at this point. Our local radiator repair shop isn't willing to fix it, so I'm wondering what the options are other people have used.

This is a 12ht-powered 1987 HJ75. It looks like all the aluminum aftermarket radiators are designed to fit 1985-1999 70 series but the pre-90 radiators are much shorter overall. It looks like a replacement radiator would extend past the frame and stick out further up top, meaning the fan shroud would have to be modified. Or is that even an issue?

Some say an aluminum radiator will be better, others say OEM. What's the consensus?

Does anyone have a resource - perhaps in OZ - that will ship to the US and offers true stock replacement? Adrad looks like an option but I can't find a vendor that ships to the US. Thanks in advanced.

When I had my FJ73, I kindly asked one of our fellow Aussie mud members to ship me an ADRAD radiator bought off Ebay Australia. It was a direct, bolt in replacement that perfectly matched the OEM unit that came out. There was even plenty of Aussie 4wd magazines to read stuffed inside the box for protection.

When I had my FJ73, I kindly asked one of our fellow Aussie mud members to ship me an ADRAD radiator bought off Ebay Australia. It was a direct, bolt in replacement that perfectly matched the OEM unit that came out. There was even plenty of Aussie 4wd magazines to read stuffed inside the box for protection.

Yeah, I have a mate in Victoria that could forward for me. I just don't like asking unless it's absolutely necessary. Will ping him if nothing pops up.

Yeah, I have a mate in Victoria that could forward for me. I just don't like asking unless it's absolutely necessary. Will ping him if nothing pops up.

Yeah I understand. At that time I really had no other option for a new radiator that wasn't aluminum. Sometimes you really find a part or two that can be a PITA to get for these 70 series.

There is always forwarder ausff.com.au which I had used for the bonnet protectors off ebay australia and worked great for me. Just kinda pricey.

Yeah I understand. At that time I really had no other option for a new radiator that wasn't aluminum. Sometimes you really find a part or two that can be a PITA to get for these 70 series.

There is always forwarder ausff.com.au which I had used for the bonnet protectors off ebay australia and worked great for me. Just kinda pricey.

Good looks. Did you have to coordinate with the seller to send you the package dimensions to get an accurate quote?

Good looks. Did you have to coordinate with the seller to send you the package dimensions to get an accurate quote?

I didn't get a shipping quote until the few packages I got from ebay arrived at their warehouse since I was combining it all into one package but I am willing to bet you can ask them first before making a purchase.

They package very well. Everything I got came undamaged in one box.

Odd Iron Off-road supplies aluminum radiators, don’t know if they build them or just found a source that makes a decent product for them, so far haven’t heard any negative feedback on their radiators. I was chasing overheating issues with my turbo’d 2H and ended up getting a custom built aluminum radiator from a premium radiator maker in Australia. Read through my build thread AK HJ-75

Odd Iron Off-road supplies aluminum radiators, don’t know if they build them or just found a source that makes a decent product for them, so far haven’t heard any negative feedback on their radiators. I was chasing overheating issues with my turbo’d 2H and ended up getting a custom built aluminum radiator from a premium radiator maker in Australia. Read through my build thread AK HJ-75

I saw that! I replied to that thread about the radiator heater you used.

but the pre-90 radiators are much shorter overall.

The 1HZ radiators have a slightly longer lower tank. They will still fit into any BJ , FJ, HJ 7* series.

Find a better or older radiator shop and re-core as Hulsty says.

My go-to radiator and ac shop closed due to retirement aged workers, plastic radiators and Covid.
It will be several hours drive to a good shop from now on.

Got a Aussie eBay seller willing to ship a Adrad HJ75 specific unit to the US for about $200. That's a deal. Local shop won't touch it. Shops within an hour or two drive won't either. I'll drop the Adrad in and save the OEM one to get re-brazed one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom