Radiator leak vs. overheat? 2013 Lexus LX 140K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was checking under my hood and I saw this. No change in operating temp. What do you think happened? I've had the vehicle for several years, but this most recent cold snap of below 0º temps. a few weeks may play a role because it was sitting outside. I purchased from the dealer, and supposedly all the antifreeze was up to spec. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm going to check the antifreeze when I buy the tool. The overflow reservoir is empty. I see pink antifreeze when I look down the throat of the radiator, but I don't know if it is just sitting on top of some surface loops, or if the whole radiator has sufficient AF.
Is there a history of cracking radiators in this vehicle. Thoughts and comments welcome.

IMG_3978.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

That’s a radiator failure. I’m guessing the truck didn’t overheat, and a new radiator will solve your problem. I’d suggest you buy a new oem or denso radiator.

You can see the hairline crack next to the raised area with the lettering. The replacement ones have more of a rounded front edge.

This 78-page thread on the issue is one of dozens.

This 78-page thread on the issue is one of dozens.

Thanks! Incredibly helpful. What other services or part replacement do you folks recommend at the same time as radiator replacement? For example, It seems like a good idea to replace the hoses and perhaps thermostat?

Thanks! Incredibly helpful. What other services or part replacement do you folks recommend at the same time as radiator replacement? For example, It seems like a good idea to replace the hoses and perhaps thermostat?
Kind of depends on whether the service department will prorate the other work since they are in there.

Thermostat is a good idea, new clamps with the hoses (plenty reuse but Toyota technically says one time use), many people do a water pump too. I’m on the fence recommending this as very few of the later model ones fail, though that may be because they are so often replaced with the radiator. The pump will raise the labor fees a bit.

For the record Toyota updated the radiator in late 2018 and if you get a genuine Toyota radiator these days it will be the better part. Shouldn’t fail in the same way yours did, and should last much longer. Insist on genuine Toyota.. nothing else will match the quality, and they aren’t ultra expensive.

Also they will inspect serp belt and idler/tensioner.. if needed go ahead. That stuff definitely is easy to change while they are in there.. shouldn’t add much to the labor costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom